The Master Carpenter and Rigger will be responsible for rigging, scenic and staging elements of EMPAC’s artistic, research, campus, and rental activities and will assist in the ongoing research of performance technologies and media applications.
- Associate’s Degree with an equivalent 5 years of experience in theatre carpentry and rigging in a high level production environment.
- Experience with managing crews for production, load-ins and strikes.
- Extensive knowledge and experience with wood and steel scenery construction, shop and stage operations, and typical theater rigging methods as well as computer controlled rigging.
- A relevant combination of education, training and directly related experience may be substituted for a degree.
Relevant combinations of education, training and experience may be considered.
- Bachelor’s Degree in (BA/BFA) in Theater with emphasis on production technology (Technical/Staging, Theatrical Design, or related Performance Arts) plus 2 years combined experience in theater carpentry and rigging in a high level production environment.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to work in a high-pressure environment for fast paced productions in a four-venue performing arts center with avant-garde programming.
- Detailed construction knowledge of wood and steel scenery along with rigging and staging methodologies are expected.
- Must be self-motivated, able to organize construction time and crews effectively to support a wide range of artistic mediums, while delivering consistent quality in a production schedule.
- Requires substantial expertise and knowledge with scenic and staging technologies, shop operation, and implementation of state-of-the-art rigging.
- Is versed in CAD aspects of design, and preferably experience with the mechanized systems of stage events.
- Knowledge and experience with tour methods, construction and stage operations.
Business Hours with weekends or evenings occasionally required
Incidental driving possible, but not required
Click careers.rpi.edu/en-us/job/493104/master-carpenter to apply today!
Follow the on-screen prompts to create an application. Please be ready to upload any required documents, such as your resume and cover letter
If you need assistance with the online application process, please contact email@example.com
Are you ready to change the world? Apply now! careers.rpi.edu/en-us/job/493104/master-carpenter
Who we are
Why Rensselaer? Our dynamic global community of changemakers includes some of the world’s leading researchers, students, alumni, and faculty who ask the important questions and devise the scientific and technological innovations that make the world a better place for all of humanity. Nestled on a beautiful 275-acre campus in upstate NY, Rensselaer is home to five schools, 32 research centers, three makerspaces, an observatory, and one of the world’s fastest supercomputers.
Rensselaer faculty and alumni include more than 145 National Academy members, six members of the National Inventors Hall of Fame, six National Medal of Technology winners, five National Medal of Science winners, # astronauts, and a Nobel Prize winner in Physics. With nearly 200 years of experience advancing scientific and technological knowledge, Rensselaer remains focused on addressing global challenges with a spirit of ingenuity and collaboration.
To learn more, please visit rpi.edu/ .
COVID-19 Pandemic Protocols
Rensselaer welcomes undergraduate and graduate students to campus for an in-person academic experience. To support this experience, all faculty and staff are expected to work onsite, with no remote work allowed.
Rensselaer requires all faculty and staff to be vaccinated against COVID-19. Requests for exemptions for medical or religious reasons will be evaluated on a case by case basis.
We welcome candidates who will bring diverse cultural, ethnic, national and international perspectives to Rensselaer’s work and campus communities.
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity, Race/Gender/Veterans/Disability Employer.
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: Carpenter, computer controlled rigging, Master carpenter, rigging, scenery, theater rigging, and wood and steel scenery. States: New York.
Please Share the Master Carpenter job: