La Jolla Playhouse→ San Diego, California, United States
- Department: Scenery
- Status: Full Time, IATSE Hourly (non-exempt)
- Pay: Rate 2, IATSE Local 122 – Currently $25.97
- Location: La Jolla, CA on the beautiful campus of the University of California, San Diego
- Schedule: M-F 8:00a-4:30p – Occasional nights and weekends.
- Reports to: Shop Foreman (build) / Lead Stage Carpenter (load in)
- Works With: LJP Staff, Visiting artists, IATSE Apprentices/Pre-Apprentices
- Supervises: None
- Start Date: April 3, 2023, Flexible
Submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Please include in the subject line – “Carpenter”
La Jolla Playhouse is a place where artists and audiences come together to create what’s new and next in the American theatre, from Tony Award-winning productions, to imaginative programs for young audiences, to interactive experiences outside our theatre walls. Founded in 1947 by Gregory Peck, Dorothy McGuire and Mel Ferrer, the Playhouse is currently led by Tony Award winner Christopher Ashley, the Rich Family Artistic Director of La Jolla Playhouse, and Managing Director Debby Buchholz. The Playhouse is internationally renowned for the development of new plays and musicals, including mounting 108 world premieres, commissioning 70 new works, and sending 33 productions to Broadway, garnering a total of 38 Tony Awards, as well as the 1993 Tony Award for Outstanding Regional Theatre. These works include the Broadway hits Come From Away, Diana and Memphis, all directed by Ashley; The Who’s Tommy; the Pulitzer Prize-winning I Am My Own Wife; and Jersey Boys.
La Jolla Playhouse is committed to diversity in all areas of our work, on and off stage. We lead with our values and encourage individuals with unique perspectives to apply. La Jolla Playhouse is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
Statement of Job
The Carpenter constructs, load-ins, maintains and loads-out scenery for scenic elements produced or presented by La Jolla Playhouse. This position functions both independently and as part of a team, working with other carpenters, as well as collaborating with other production departments to successfully implement all LJP Productions. The ideal candidate will be familiar with a variety of materials and fabrication techniques and will be an effective communicator ensuring that projects are completed in a safe and efficient manner.
Essential Job Duties:
- Read and interpret theatrical construction and load in drawings.
- Using a wide variety of hand and power tools as well as typical woodshop equipment including cutting, sanding, and fastening tools to construct wood structures.
- Producing high-quality finished scenery through a combination of woodworking, metalworking, and non-traditional construction techniques.
- Installation/strike of all scenic elements including but not limited to: constructed scenery, drapery, rigging, and automation.
- Maintain an organized and clean work area.
- Participate in shop clean up, special projects, and scene shop maintenance as assigned.
- Attend morning meetings, scenery or safety related training and seminars, and company-wide meetings.
- Be an active participant in LJP’s work towards being a more equitable, diverse, and inclusive workplace.
- Perform other duties as assigned in collaboration with theatre personnel, professional creative teams, staff, management and other visiting artists.
Requirements and Proficiencies
- 2 years of professional experience in scenery fabrication, theatrical experience a plus
- Ability to read and execute scenery construction drawings, assembly drawings, and schedules.
- Ability to produce high-quality finished scenery from theatrical construction prints using a variety of materials including wood, steel, aluminum, plastics, fabric, etc.
- Knowledge of and dedication to safe working practices; OSHA 10 a plus.
- Possess strong critical thinking, attention to detail, problem solving, and organizational skills.
- Commitment to uphold and meaningfully engage with the mission, vision, and values of La Jolla Playhouse.
- Access to reliable transportation.
- Being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by an FDA approved vaccine is a condition of employment.
- Frequently stands, squats, or kneels for extended periods.
- Frequently maneuvers large and/or heavy objects weighing up to 75lbs with assistance.
- Safely operates machinery and power tools.
- Interior scene shop exposure to dust/fumes – PPE Provided.
- Noisy environment – hearing protection required.
- Varied physical conditions from dark/quiet to bright/loud.
La Jolla Playhouse
San Diego, California, United States
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: Carpenter, carpentry, and performing arts. States: California.