Reports to: Associate Director of Marketing
The Guthrie Theater engages exceptional theater artists in the exploration of both classic and contemporary plays connecting the community we serve to one another and to the world. Through its extraordinary artists, staff and facility, the Guthrie is committed to the people of Minnesota, and from its place, rooted deeply in the Twin Cities, influences the field as a leading 21st century arts organization.
Every year more than 500 people, both on stage and off, help ensure our success in creating and supporting the highest level of theater. As an organization, we are committed to our values of Artistic Excellence; Community; Equity, Diversity and Inclusion; and Fiscal Responsibility.
The Guthrie Theater would like to acknowledge that we gather on the traditional land of the Dakota People and honor with gratitude the land itself and the people who have stewarded it throughout the generations, including the Ojibwe and other Indigenous nations.
The Marketing Manager works within the Marketing Department and serves a critical role through project management for the department, oversight of the Guthrie’s digital properties, and general support of sales and patron engagement. Serving as the direct supervisor for the Digital Marketing Associate, this highly collaborative role will help ensure all content is on brand, engages audiences, supports sales goals/strategies and upholds the Guthrie’s commitment to anti-racism, accessibility and equity. All employees are expected to center, model and champion the Guthrie’s core values of Artistic Excellence; Community; Equity, Diversity and Inclusion; and Fiscal Responsibility.
This position is full-time, exempt and benefits-eligible. Compensation for this position is $50,600 – $61,357 annually plus benefits. The typical schedule for this role will vary based on the dynamic schedule of a theater.
The Guthrie is dedicated to building an equitable environment that is mixed across lines of difference and strongly encourages applications from Black, Indigenous, People of Color, women, transgender and non-binary candidates. This position will remain open until filled and until a diverse and qualified pool of candidates is identified. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Digital Strategy
- Lead social media strategy across platforms, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and YouTube, to increase sales, drive engagement and create awareness of Guthrie productions and initiatives.
- Drive email marketing strategy for the department and maintain a communications calendar for all patron-facing emails, including those from Development, Education and Professional Training, Guthrie Store, etc.
- Serve as the lead contact for the theater’s digital marketing agency, interfacing with account reps multiple times each week to develop, optimize and analyze paid campaigns, Google AdWords and Google Display advertising.
- Manage and maintain theater’s website to ensure accurate information and a positive user experience.
- Collaborate with a third-party website design/development firm, ITS and the Box Office to ensure seamless integration between the theater’s website and ticketing software.
- Build and maintain site-wide SEO; evaluate and optimize SEO on an ongoing basis to ensure prime visibility and searchability for guthrietheater.org.
- Generate and analyze reports of website activity and identify trends in analytics.
- Monitor social media platforms on occasional weeknights and weekends, responding to comments and timely messages that require action; offer support to Digital Marketing Associate as needed.
- Maintain and monitor Google My Business listings for the Guthrie Theater and Guthrie Store, and respond to reviews and comments on behalf of the organization.
- Research trends and best practices in digital marketing, and make recommendations for enhancing the Guthrie’s digital presence.
- Project Management
- Oversee the department’s project management platform (Airtable) to ensure all Marketing projects meet goals and deadlines as outlined.
- Serve as the theater’s main contact for all creative services requests, engaging with staff across the organization to accept incoming projects (copy, design, email, social, etc.), communicating project goals and deadlines to the creative services team, and delegating tasks as needed.
- Route proofs, track edits and send final versions to print vendors or the requesting department.
- Leadership and Supervision
- Hire, manage and supervise the Digital Marketing Associate to fulfill the responsibilities of the department.
- Actively participate in team building, fostering a work environment incorporating the Guthrie values of Artistic Excellence; Community; Equity, Diversity and Inclusion; and Fiscal Responsibility.
- Support and develop direct reports by monitoring the quality of employee’s work; providing constructive feedback; facilitating conflict resolution among direct reports; ensuring adherence to legal and organizational policies and procedures and undertaking disciplinary actions if the need arises; and completing annual performance evaluations.
- Complete monthly check-ins with direct reports using the organizational monthly check-in form.
- Support the Associate Director of Marketing in execution of marketing plans and collaborate on marketing strategy to increase ticket sales.
- Create and maintain relationships with area businesses and organizations to support single ticket sales and further the Guthrie’s reach in the community.
- Represent the Guthrie at events, conferences and festivals (may include evenings and weekends).
- Maintain the Guthrie’s internal website, as directed by various department heads.
- Photograph Guthrie events and initiatives as needed (Guthrie to provide camera).
- Support and collaborate with other team members on a project-by-project basis.
- Maintain and approve direct report’s timesheets, Paid Time Off requests and other personnel records.
- Complete other duties as needed or assigned.
ESSENTIAL KNOWLEDGE AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Mid-level marketing experience working both independently and as part of a marketing team.
- Demonstrated experience managing email marketing campaigns for mid to large sized organizations.
- Experience managing a brand’s social media platforms and executing paid and unpaid campaigns.
- Experience in website CMS management.
- Basic knowledge of SEO practices.
- Strong attention to detail, ability to write creatively and exceptional proofreading skills.
- Project management experience and working knowledge of digital marketing campaigns preferred.
- Basic photography skills.
- Basic event planning experience.
- Episerver, Wordfly and Tessitura experience preferred.
- Basic Google Analytics knowledge preferred.
- Sales experience preferred.
- Experience supervising, mentoring and leading direct and indirect reports.
- Strong organizational skills; ability to handle multiple tasks, meet deadlines and manage priorities.
- Works independently in a fast-paced environment with multiple and conflicting priorities.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Office and Google documents.
- Willing and able to work flexible hours/days reflective of the dynamic schedule of a theater.
- Experience, ability and commitment to working with individuals and teams that are mixed across lines of difference, such as race, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, ability, age, class and immigrant status.
A NOTE FROM HUMAN RESOURCES
Applicants must submit the following to be considered for the position:
- Cover letter
Job Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: manager, marketing, media, social media, and theatre. States: Minnesota.
Please Share the Marketing Manager job: