La Jolla Playhouse is a place where artists and audiences come together to create what’s new and next in the American theatre, from Tony Award-winning productions, to imaginative programs for young audiences, to interactive experiences outside our theatre walls. Founded in 1947 by Gregory Peck, Dorothy McGuire and Mel Ferrer, the Playhouse is currently led by Tony Award winner Christopher Ashley, the Rich Family Artistic Director of La Jolla Playhouse, and Managing Director Debby Buchholz. The Playhouse is internationally renowned for the development of new plays and musicals, including mounting 105 world premieres, commissioning 60 new works, and sending 33 productions to Broadway, garnering a total of 38 Tony Awards, as well as the 1993 Tony Award for Outstanding Regional Theatre. These works include the Broadway hits Come From Away, Diana and Memphis, all directed by Ashley; The Who’s Tommy; the Pulitzer Prize-winning I Am My Own Wife; and Jersey Boys.
La Jolla Playhouse is committed to diversity in all areas of our work, on and off stage. We lead with our values and encourage individuals with unique perspectives to apply. La Jolla Playhouse is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE).
STATEMENT OF JOB
Based at La Jolla Playhouse’s administrative offices, and under the guidance of the Associate Director of Sales and Marketing, the Marketing Coordinator coordinates projects from conception to completion, including aspects of marketing and sales plans for single ticket campaigns, the annual subscription campaign, events and internal projects, and supports administrative functions of the Communications Department.
Great interpersonal skills and a positive attitude are essential. The role works closely with numerous departments, including Patron Services, Production, Artistic, Philanthropy, Learning and Engagement.
The Marketing Coordinator must be able to work with accuracy and exemplary attention to detail in a busy environment. Someone with a high level of organization skills will prosper in this role. The role requires an ability to respond to requests swiftly and with flexibility, while not losing sight of deadlines and priorities.
The marketing team is lean and collaborative. The Marketing Coordinator must be hands-on and willing to jump in alongside colleagues to help with a wide variety of tasks. Having excellent initiative is essential, and an ability to proactively solve problems. The person must be able to work well as part of team, have a willingness take instruction and advice, and to ensure endorsement before implementation where appropriate.
The Marketing Coordinator will enjoy daily variety in responsibilities, a positive and supportive environment in a world-renowned creative organization, and the opportunity to contribute meaningfully to a range of projects and initiatives.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES
- Coordinate the production of creative campaign assets and collateral, including but not limited to: brochures, rack cards, print ads, venue signage, digital display ads, and more.
- Gain understanding of brand guidelines, proofread assets and review designs for quality control and consistency.
- Route assets for approvals, collate changes and ensure proper sign-off from internal teams.
- Source quotes from multiple suppliers to ensure effective budgeting, quality and attentiveness to timelines/deadlines.
- Work with Philanthropy department to ensure correct acknowledgments are included on marketing collateral
- Coordinate the print process with printers.
- Work with Associate Director of Sales and Marketing and Database Analyst to coordinate mailing projects.
- Work closely with Associate Director of Sales and Marketing to understand and deliver on the advertising schedule and ensure assets are delivered on time.
- Coordinate appropriate distribution of print and digital marketing assets, liaising with internal and external stakeholders to ensure all deadlines are met.
- Coordinate front of house displays and signage at our theaters and ensure delivery of assets on time.
- Maintain detailed records of projects and timelines to ensure internal records are correct and future-proofed.
- Maintain the organization of internal asset management files and keep the archives accurate and up to date at all times.
- Collaborate in creative planning sessions for marketing and sales campaigns.
- Under the guidance of the Director of Public Relations, maintain online listings for all public-facing events with support from interns.
- Assist in the creation of press kit materials.
- Work alongside team members to coordinate Playhouse involvement at external events such as ArtWalk.
- Represent the Playhouse at performances in support of marketing and communications initiatives as needed.
Administration and General
- Maintain department calendar, schedule team meetings, take and distribute meeting minutes.
- Process, code and gain approval for invoices, maintain accurate records.
- Support community outreach initiatives.
- Be an active participant in the communications team and other agreed cross-departmental teams.
- Carry out other similar reasonable duties as required.
REQUIREMENTS & PROFICIENCIES
- 1-2 years’ professional marketing experience; some experience in an arts or agency setting or working with creative/media is desirable.
- Skills and experience in the execution of print and digital marketing campaigns and media plans.
- Knowledge of graphic design process, briefing process, pre-press requirements for print and mailing process.
- Excellent administrative skills including high level attention to detail, professionalism and confidence suitable for working in a busy office environment.
- Ability to set priorities, develop schedules, and monitor progress toward goals. Excellent time management skills, ability to work independently, coordinate simultaneous projects and meet deadlines.
- Excellent copy writing, grammatical and proof-reading skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including the ability to deal with a wide variety of stakeholders internally and externally. Communicate effectively: speak, listen, and write clearly.
- Ability to solve problems, assess situations, identify causes, gather and process relevant information.
- Strong PC IT skills including excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, and an ability to learn new programs if required. Some knowledge of Canva, Airtable, Adobe Creative Suite (Indesign, Photoshop) is desirable.
- A positive hands-on attitude, willingness to take direction and work as part of a team. Demonstrated ability to work with a high-performance, collaborative peer group.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to the Playhouse’s mission and values
- A commitment to uphold and support the Playhouse’s Anti-Racism Action Plan
- A passion for the arts – and more specifically, theatre!
- Being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 by an FDA approved vaccine is a condition of employment
FLSA STATUS: This is a part-time, non-exempt (hourly) position (not eligible for benefits)
COMPENSATION: $19.00 per hour
SCHEDULE: Part time schedule within office hours (Mon-Fri 9am – 5:30pm) with occasional evening/weekend hours as needed, up to 29 hours per week total
POSITION END DATE: May 1, 2023
HOW TO APPLY:
Submit a cover letter, resume, and two work samples of a marketing campaign you have coordinated (links or low-res attachments are fine) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include in the subject line – “Marketing Coordinator”.
Please use your cover letter to highlight how your unique background and experience responds to the desired requirements and proficiencies as outlined in this document, and how you will support the mission and values of the Playhouse.
Not sure you meet all the qualifications? Research shows that women and other people who are systematically marginalized tend to apply only if they meet 100% of the requirements, whereas men apply for jobs when they fulfill an average of 60% of the requested qualifications. If you think you could excel in this role, we encourage you to apply. We are dedicated to considering a broad array of candidates with diverse experience and backgrounds.
Explore La Jolla Playhouse careers here lajollaplayhouse.org/who-we-are/careers/
Job Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Part-Time. Job Tags: advertising, coordinator, marketing, and theatre. States: California.
Please Share the Marketing Coordinator job: