Manager of Artistic Programs
About Second Stage
Second Stage Theater produces work entirely by living American playwrights both on and off Broadway. Dedicated to adventurous contemporary plays and musicals, bold new interpretations, and unique theatrical experiences, the work at Second Stage reflects diversity and inclusiveness. Through the discovery of emerging talent and the commissioning of new work, Second Stage nurtures future generations of theater artists. Second Stage welcomes a theatergoing audience of all backgrounds.
Second Stage Theater is currently seeking a full-time Manager of Artistic Programs. Reporting to the Artistic Director, and as a part of a small and busy Artistic Department, the Manager of Artistic Programs must be a resourceful team player, willing and able to cover various demands and responsibilities. In addition to core administrative hours, the Manager will be required to be onsite some evenings and
weekends, by nature of Second Stage’s performance and events schedule.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Primarily responsible for overseeing annual New Voices Reading Series and 2ST Uptown Season
• Coordinate casting for Reading Series and 2ST Uptown
• Track directors, designers, and actors in NYC and regionally
• Identify and oversee musicals through development
• Build and maintain strong industry knowledge and relationships
• Provide support for readings and workshops as needed
• Cover readings, workshops, productions, and festivals in NYC and regionally when necessary
• Assist in reading, evaluating, and tracking scripts
• Oversee fellows and interns as necessary
• Provide coverage for the Artistic Department when necessary
• Facilitate artistic events and talkbacks as required
Skills & Qualifications
• Ideal candidate will be a passionate theater maker with a minimum of 3 years professional theatrical producing experience
• A demonstrated expertise in budgeting, producing, and managing large artistic projects
• A robust knowledge of the theater industry with strong existing contacts and relationships
• Background in developing musicals
• Excellent collaborator and communicator
• Exceptional writing, organizational, and problem-solving skills
• Ability to balance the artistic and institutional needs of the company
• A commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion
Second Stage offers a full benefits package including vacation, medical and dental insurance, retirement plan, life insurance and long-term disability coverage upon eligibility.
Second Stage values diversity, equity and inclusion in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer.
Second Stage is dedicated to building an equitable environment that is mixed across lines of difference and strongly encourages applications from Black, Indigenous, People of Color, women, transgender and non-binary candidates. This position will remain open until filled and until a diverse and qualified pool of candidates is identified. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply.
For more information about Second Stage, visit www.2st.com.
Submit cover letter, resume, and briefly tell us about a director’s work (pre-pandemic) that you found intriguing and explain why.
Please send all materials to email@example.com
No phone calls, please.
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: manager, programming, stage, and theatre. States: New York.
Please Share the Manager of Artistic Programs job: