Part-Time Light Board Operator
The Light Board Operator (Light Op) operates the lighting system on a part time basis, when the lighting supervisor cannot.
This person is responsible for the care and maintenance of the lighting equipment as needed, when repairs are necessary for the operation of the show they are running.
The Lighting Op trains with the Lighting Supervisor to be able to successfully run the lighting console for the show.
The Lighting Op may also be asked to create a lighting plot and program the board for special events, as needed.
Teatro ZinZanni Chicago presents a full evening of entertainment, combining cirque artists, European cabaret, contortionists, jugglers and illusionists with live music and a gourmet multi-course meal. Set in an antique jewel box tent imported from Belgium, our newest location opened in Chicago in 2019.
- Trains with the Lighting Supervisor on the operation of the lighting console for each show, as needed
- Operates the lighting console for specific shows, as decided by the PSM and Lighting Supervisor, minimum coverage of one show every Saturday and Sunday.
- Makes adjustments to cue lists and programming, as necessitated by the show
- Program and operate intelligent/conventional lighting console for shows as needed
- Responsible for quality control, some maintenance and repair of lighting equipment
- Maintains the integrity of the lighting design while the Lighting Supervisor is out
- Maintains notes system for the Lighting Supervisor, ensuring they receive any/all notes about changes to the show while they were out
- Ensures that company safety guidelines are followed and implemented on site
- Keeps the lighting booth clean and organized
- Promotes positive team atmosphere onsite
- Attends rehearsal as requested by the PSM, Lighting Designer, or Lighting Supervisor
- Attends meetings as needed
- Stays current with new and developing trends in the lighting industry
- Must perform in a professional manner at all times, maintaining a positive attitude and providing positive “public relations.”
- Able to be present and on time for meetings, rehearsal and show calls.
- Able to provide timely completion of duties: meet deadlines. Knows when to issue request for assistance.
- Ability to work and communicate well with all types of staff utilizing voice mail, email, computers, fax machines, copiers, and proper use of memos and other office communications.
- Ability to work well under pressure and be able to meet deadlines while maintaining a high degree of accuracy.
- Must be able to maintain confidence at all times
- Considerable ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with individuals and groups of various cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Respectful of the rights of others.
- Essential minimum skills, education, and experience:
- 3 years professional board operation experience
- Ability to program and operate various conventional and intelligent lighting consoles
- Proficient in Ion lighting software, moving light consoles, moving light and scroller fixtures, troubleshooting, and repairs
- MIDI a plus
- Knowledge of theatrical dimming systems and electrical system basics
- Calm presence
- Works well collaborating with people
- Ability to lead others
- Excellent eye for detail
- Knowledge of technical production
- Ability to articulate and communicate technical problems
- Able and willing to work additional hours
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form
- Must be proficient with Microsoft Word and Excel computer programs
- Able to lift 60 lbs.
Works in a performance environment. Position deals directly with the cast, band, and restaurant staff and customers. Primary show schedule is Wednesday through Sunday. The Lighting Operator runs shows as needed. Schedule is organized by the PSM, in collaboration with Lighting Supervisor.
Call times are:
Wednesday, Thursday, Sunday evening: 3:30p – 10:00p
Friday, Saturday evening: 4:00p – 10:30p
Matinee Performances: 9:30a – 3:30p
Employees should arrive 15 minutes prior to any scheduled meeting/work call. The primary schedule will change due to show calendar revisions/ticket sales. Changeovers and holidays will require additional hours and/or days.
NOTES AND SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS
For all shows, must wear “dress blacks” as approved by Costume Designer and Production Stage Manager. Must have a professional appearance.
How to Apply
Apply online at: zinzanni.com/jobs/#Chicago
TZ CHICAGO LLC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER DEDICATED TO A POLICY OF NON-DISCRIMINATION IN EMPLOYMENT (INCLUDING APPLICATION FOR EMPLOYMENT) ON ANY BASIS INCLUDING RACE, COLOR, RELIGION, NATIONAL ORIGIN, ANCESTRY, CITIZENSHIP, SEX, AGE, PHYSICAL OR MENTAL DISABILITY, MEDICAL CONDITION, PREGNANCY, VETERAN OR MILITARY STATUS, OR ANY OTHER BASIS PROHIBITED BY LOCAL, STATE, AND FEDERAL LAW.
APPLICANTS WITH DISABILITIES MAY BE ENTITLED TO REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION UNDER THE TERMS OF THE AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT AND CERTAIN STATE OR LOCAL LAWS. A REASONABLE ACCOMMODATION IS A CHANGE IN THE WAY THINGS ARE NORMALLY DONE WHICH WILL ENSURE AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY WITHOUT IMPOSING UNDUE HARDSHIP ON TZ CHICAGO LLC. PLEASE CONTACT TZ CHICAGO LLC IF YOU NEED ASSISTANCE COMPLETING THIS APPLICATION OR TO OTHERWISE PARTICIPATE IN THE APPLICATION PROCESS.
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Part-Time. Job Tags: entertainment, lighting, stage, technical theatre, and theatre. States: Illinois.
Please Share the Light Board Operator job: