Full-Time General Manager
The General Manager, a full-time salaried position, is a high-level leadership position who works closely with the Executive Director and Artistic Director in managing, steering and shaping the company in a time of exciting growth. The General Manager is responsible for contracts, bookings, financials, HR and facilities oversight and oversees multiple departments within the organization. This position requires an energetic professional who doesn’t mind wearing multiple hats.
Ideal candidates will have:
- Education: College BA or higher
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in handling a wide range of management level areas
- 3+ years experience as Assistant GM in a professional theater or similar capacity
- Strong organizational, analytical, computer and research skills
- Past experience with contracts and negotiations a must; payroll a plus
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced team environment as well as on own
- Proven ability to lead multiple teams simultaneously
The post requires some evening and weekend work in conjunction with the Bay Street production calendar.
Bay Street Theater & Sag Harbor Center for the Arts (BST) is a year-round, not-for- profit 299 seat LORT C professional theater and community cultural center located in Sag Harbor on the East End of Long Island. This position plays an important role in managing all aspects of operations within the organization.
The General Manager’s general responsibilities include:
- Programming management
- Financial management
- Operational & facilities management
- Facilitate and manage all productions to ensure smooth productions that come in on time and on budget in cooperation with the Artistic Director, Associate Producer, and Production Manager.
- In cooperation with Artistic Director, Executive Director, and Director of Marketing coordinate a marketing plan for all productions.
- Program and book all non-main stage performances (comedy, concerts, special events). Work with Executive Director to assist with the booking. and management of Musical Mondays and Comedy Club performances.
- Review all tech riders and advise feasibility and financial commitment.
- Execute contracts in all areas relating to production and bookings.
- Provide administrative liaison for managers of technical and design realization on all productions, booked presentations, education and rentals.
- Negotiate, manage, and supervise rental contracts and other special uses of the theater.
- Coordinate schedules and personnel requirements with performances.
- Coordinate all calendars (Mainstage, off-season bookings, rentals, and events).
- Create and oversee all production budgets in consultation with the Associate Producer.
- Work with company manager to secure housing for interns and over hire.
- Oversee recruitment, hiring, and contracting of all summer staff, overhires, and interns in consultation with Production Manager and department head.
- Draft, administer and/or execute other special contracts (eg co-productions) in cooperation with the Executive Director.
- Rent all equipment needed for non-summer performances.
- Work in conjunction with Production Manager, Artistic Director, and Development department to coordinate logistics of annual fundraising Gala including staffing assignments and coordination of vendors.
All financial functions are pursued in collaboration with the Executive Director.
- Develop annual operating budget for Board approval as a key planning and management tool. Oversee management of organizational budget to ensure prudent spending and allocation.
- Supervise financial management systems and financial personnel.
- Supervise preparation of accurate and timely financial reports in accordance with Board needs, as specified by the Treasurer, including monthly statements showing budget-to-actual income and expense and Year to Date balance sheets.
- Provide departmental and overall cash flow management, projections and regular monitoring in collaboration with department heads and Executive Director.
- Supervise payment of payroll, accounts payable, taxes and fees on a weekly basis.Manage insurance and legal affairs for the Theater.
- Manage all cash, credit accounts, bank accounts, investments, savings and loans.Secure safe storage of all core documents, e.g. Articles of Incorporation, By-Laws, tax exemption documents, insurance policies.
- Prepare year-end reports to satisfy government, management and Board needs.
OPERATIONAL & FACILITIES MANAGEMENT
- Supervise management and operations of front of house, box office, volunteers, house management, bartenders, custodial, maintenance and repair contractors.
- Manage operations and inventory of lobby bar.
- Act as liaison between the administrative and the production staff to ensure open communication and seamless coordination between the two.
- Determine and maintain day to day maintenance of both shop and theater building (includes repairs, security alarm, scheduling of vendors such as Weber & Grahn, Suburban Sanitation, cleaning, locksmith, fire extinguisher, snow removal, yard maintenance, etc.)
- Liaison with Fire Marshall regarding safety codes and required upgrades, create and implement evacuation plans, maintain all safety logs for both theater and shop.
- Troubleshoot all facility problems such as plumbing, electrical, etc. Contact outside vendors/repair contractors as needed.
- Oversee the maintenance of shop equipment, tools, stock, and shop vehicles.Determine and then, with AD/ED approval, oversee maintenance projects (painting, houselights, shop renovations, building renovations etc.). All must be presented to AD/ED for sign-off prior to implementation (exception for urgent repairs such as water, heating issues, safety issue, etc. which are deemed to be immediate).
- Serve as Safety Director and maintain Safety Documents, including annual review and sign-off sheets from all BST staff.
- Organize crews and assist in pre-season approved maintenance and projects.
- Ensure that all necessary permitting for the facilities are obtained and up to date including liquor license.
- Manage budget lines pertaining to maintenance of both facilities.
- Troubleshoot issues that cannot be readily ascribed to a given department.
This position performs other support functions and duties as needed. Bay Street Theater is a growing organization with a small staff. Employees are often called upon to jump in to accomplish goals and meet important deadlines.
Please send a cover letter detailing interest in the position with salary requirements and a resume to email@example.com with “General Manager” in the subject line.
Please Share the General Manager job: