Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts
Title: Gallery Manager
Position: Full-time, year-round, salaried, benefits eligible and exempt
Reports to: Program Director
The Gallery Manager directs Arrowmont’s exhibition and permanent collection programs to support the educational philosophy and goals of the organization and generate income for participating artists and to support operations. The position plans and produces the annual exhibition schedule for three on-campus gallery spaces, develops and implements policies and procedures for the Permanent Collection, oversees exhibition of artwork around campus and collaborates with development staff to manage the art acquisition, display and handling for auctions and special events. The Gallery Manager serves in an advisory capacity to the Artists In Residence and the Supply Store Manager for on-campus and off-site display of artwork. The Gallery Manager also organizes and supervises traveling exhibitions and off-site exhibitions related to Arrowmont. The position reports to the Program Director, is full-time, year-round, salaried, benefits eligible and exempt.
– Designs and installs an annual program of gallery exhibitions and related programming to support educational goals and special initiatives, and to generate income for the organization and participating artists. Designs and produces installations, display materials and gallery signage. Collaborates with Communications staff to develop, produce and disseminate exhibition related promotional and documentary materials to generate on-campus and public attendance. Manages shipping, receiving and insurance of artwork ensuring object safety and security. Supervises volunteers and staff to successfully achieve goals, including supervising photography. Documents and evaluates exhibitions and related programming for archival and planning purposes.
– Develops and maintains relationships with Sevier County artists, arts council, the Artists-In-Residence and other organizations participating in exhibitions.
– Manages the organization’s Permanent Collection of historical and contemporary artwork to reflect Arrowmont’s influence in the development of craft and current trends in the field, and to support educational objectives of the organization. Implements policies and procedures for acquiring and de-accessioning, displaying, loaning, touring and documenting objects. Supervises photographic documentation of objects. Maintains secure storage of objects not on display. Maintains Permanent Collection database and related recordkeeping. Develops, curates and schedules traveling exhibitions of Permanent Collection objects to promote the organization and craft education. Develops and maintains a communications network of professional organizations and individuals to support the development and promotion of the Permanent Collection.
– Manages on-campus display of Permanent Collection and other artwork on campus ensuring object rotation and appropriate conservation of artwork.
– Oversees the receipt, storage, documentation, display and packing of artwork donated for on- and off-campus or Internet auctions or other special events. Trains and manages volunteers to assist with art handling and other functions. Collaborates with Development staff to solicit and acknowledge gifts of artwork.
– Develops and manages the annual Gallery budget within organizational guidelines.
– Conducts tours of campus galleries for local, regional and national organizations to inform and educate about craft and the organization. Collaborates with Development staff on fundraising activities as requested.
This position may require travel and the ability to drive a car, is physically demanding and requires the employee to walk unaided up and down hills and over uneven terrain, bend, stoop, reach above their head, have use of fine and gross motor skills, and work in close quarters. The employee must have normal visual acuity at near and far distance with correction and hear the spoken word with correction. The employee must be fluent in English. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and to work at a computer. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or touch objects, tools, or controls and to talk fluently. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move heavy objects or boxes and climb ladders
$45,000 a year plus excellent benefits
To apply, please send a one-page cover letter, a resume or CV, and a list of three professional references to Teri Bilbrey at firstname.lastname@example.org with the e-mail subject line as “Arrowmont Gallery Manager Application”.
Arrowmont is committed to the ongoing journey towards creating an inclusive, anti-racist, diverse arts and crafts community that welcomes and supports everyone. We strongly encourage BIPOC, LGBTQ+ individuals, individuals with disabilities, and non-artists to apply. Position open until filled, but applications received before July 25 will be given full consideration.
Inclusion and Equal Opportunity Statement: Arrowmont is committed to creating an anti-racist, diverse and inclusive workforce and work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Arrowmont strongly encourages people of color, women, LGBTQ+ individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, and veterans to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any protected category prohibited by local, state, or federal laws. Arrowmont is committed to compliance with all fair employment practices regarding citizenship and immigration status.
Job Categories: Museum and Gallery. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: art gallery, arts, crafts, manager, non-profit, and school. States: Tennessee.
Please Share the Gallery Manager job: