Front of House Supervisor→ Boston, Massachusetts, United States
About the BSO
Founded in 1881, the Boston Symphony Orchestra (BSO) is one of the premier orchestras in the world. The BSO is committed to bringing world class music and performances to the local and international communities. The key to our success has been our employees from the musicians onstage to those behind the scenes.
About the Role
The Front of House Supervisor will be responsible for the care and safety of patrons attending performances at Symphony Hall in Boston and Tanglewood in the Berkshires, and for providing leadership to the usher staff, guiding, and supporting them throughout the course of a concert. It is an active position, working directly with patrons and staff, maintaining Symphony Hall’s customer service values and practices. The Front of House Supervisor will work independently with the Front of House Director and Associate Manager as part of a leadership team. While the Director is responsible for the direction, policies, training, and on-site leadership of the Front of House department, and the Associate Manager is supportive of that work, the Supervisor’s role is limited to onsite leadership of the usher team from event to event, either in support of the leadership of the Director and Manager, or independently when the Director / Assistant Manager’s presence at an event is not required. This position always works to promote exceptional service to ensure a memorable patron experience. This is a critical management role to the daily Front of House operations at Symphony Hall and Tanglewood.
- Provide strong and supportive leadership to the usher team. Lead team meetings when the Supervisor directs the usher team without the Director or Assistant Manager. Maintain equitable and supportive leadership to the part time ushers.
- Act as the manager on duty when the FOH (Front of House) Director and Associate Manager are unable to be present. Occurs on a weekly basis, and more frequently at Tanglewood.
- Demonstrate customer service of the highest quality to all patrons of Symphony Hall and at Tanglewood. Being attentive to audience members’ needs, patient, welcoming, kind, pro-actively helpful, knowledgeable, and professional. Enforcing policies in a way that is thoughtful and respectful.
- Independently manage concerts, create staff information documents, communicate with BSO personnel involved in the concert, lead pre-and-post concert meetings, and take an overall responsible role for the concert.
Support the work of the Front of House Director and Associate Front of House Manager during concerts and events by communicating specific policies for the event to the ushers, providing assistance for the ushers when a manager is called, reporting on audience incidents in a clear and accurate manner, being a managerial presence for ushers in various parts of the venue, communicating with the Box Office, Security, Facilities, and other departments as needed during an event, among other duties.
- Maintain the highest knowledge of safety and emergency/evacuation procedures and assist with them quickly, calmly and efficiently.
- Implement policies of Symphony Hall and Tanglewood in a courteous, respectful fashion.
- Front of House Supervisor will maintain details of each musical performance, the conductor, the program being played, length of intermission, time of each movement, name of the soloist, and any changes to the program, etc. (Knowledge of classical music is not required).
- Work with various BSO staff including colleagues in the Venue and Event Services department, Security, Box Office, Boston Gourmet, Development, Management Office during a concert and event to better serve guests and problem-solve.
- Assist in preparing the venues for seating before the doors open.
- Respond to patron complaints in a courteous and thoughtful manner.
- Maintain knowledge of policies including accessibility services, evacuation procedures, crowd safety, and service animals.
Required Education and Experience
- Must be able to drive to the Berkshires to manage Front of House for Tanglewood Learning Center Events on an as needed basis during the months of September through May, and then relocate to the Berkshires from June through early September.
- Excellent customer service skills and the ability to work in stressful, time-sensitive situations within a diverse group of people.
- Demonstrably strong leadership experience in a previous role.
- Robust communication, problem-solving and independent decision-making skills required.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to remain calm, patient, thoughtful, and courteous under pressure. Must feel comfortable working in large crowds.
- Commanding and respectful supervisory skills. Able to manage group dynamics well.
- Ability to stand for long periods, walk good distances and lift up to 30 lbs.
- Organizational skills and ability to oversee multiple tasks simultaneously.
- This position involves flexible hours, late nights and weekends.
Should I consider this job?
Managing Front of House for a world-class organization such as the BSO/Boston Pops/Tanglewood can be immensely rewarding for the right person. You are inspiring a team of ushers, meeting and welcoming ticketholders, taking care of customers who need assistance, and problem-solving on-the-spot. Guests look to the Front of House team to create a meaningful experience when they attend events in Symphony Hall or Tanglewood. To that end, we look out for those guests’ well-being, whether that means assisting them to their seats, politely enforcing a policy for the comfort and safety of all or calling for medical assistance if a guest is unwell. Symphony Hall and Tanglewood are legendary places, but it is the people that make them truly special. Front of House plays a crucial role to make those beautiful venues the welcoming and extraordinary places that they are.
If you have a flexible schedule that allows for weekend and late-night work, are able to relocate to the Berkshires over the summer, enjoy the feeling of staying calm and confident in large crowd situations, can make quick decisions, are friendly and welcoming, and can lead a team in a supportive and thoughtful manner, then we encourage you to apply.
Please apply here: BSO/Front-of-House-Supervisor
The BSO is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: concerts, front of house, music, patron services, and supervisor. States: Massachusetts.