The Exhibitions Manager is responsible for leading all curatorial functions:
- Organizing and coordinating exhibitions from the collection and outside sources; producing interpretive materials; and communicating to the public.
- Maintains strong relationships with donors, lenders, artists, arts organizations, and the academic community to develop a robust schedule across three galleries and further the mission of the Alliance for the Arts (AFTA).
- Commits to becoming established as a key artistic leader in the Fort Myers community.
- Leads the curatorial department. Directly leads interns and volunteers.
- Works closely with staff to ensure proper handling, transportation, installation, security of works in exhibitions and exhibition design.
- Works closely with other department directors to further the objectives of AFTA including education and programming, advancement and communications, accounting, and design.
- Works closely with the Executive Director and Marketing Manager.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
*Formulates and coordinates a balanced exhibition schedule and interpretive plan in concert with the Executive Director. Assigns appropriate staff member(s) or guest curator to coordinate each exhibition.
*Determines and prepares exhibitions.
-Organizes large and small exhibitions exclusive to AAM.
-Coordinates exhibitions originated by other institutions to be shown at AAM.
-Prepares ancillary interpretive materials for exhibitions.
*Researches and writes website entries, digital content, marketing content as needed, and supervises other staff in these endeavors.
-Oversees maintenance of exhibition files
*Installs and designs all exhibitions.
-Researches and documents work in the exhibition.
-Plans, coordinates and oversees execution of educational components and marketing.
-Initiates ideas for grant projects; prepares or assists the Director of Development in preparing grant applications.
-Ensures timely preparation and distribution of exhibition schedule.
*In concert with the Executive Director, strategically develops gifts and purchases.
-Maintains relations with artists and fellow curators locally and regionally to develop and improve AFTA’s exhibitions schedule, Art in Flight Program and Art Lives Here Campaign.
-Maintains knowledge of the art market through relationships with dealers, galleries, critics and to enhance the educational components offered to the community.
*Prepares departmental budgets and policies
-Plans and supervises implementation of the departmental budget.
-Creates, monitors and oversees exhibition contracts
-Maintains fiscal control of exhibition expense, including monthly receptions
-Initiates, prepares, and presents to the Executive Director for approval strategic plans for exhibitions.
-Works with Executive Director in preparation of institution-wide strategic plans, collection policy, facilities development plans, and other long-range plans.
-Represents AFTA in the community.
*Communicates to public media under guidance of the Marketing and Communications Manager.
-Develops local and regional profile through various activities.
-Attends evening and weekend events throughout the community as needed to strengthen AFTA’s community relations.
Advanced degree in Art History, Curatorial Studies or related experience and expertise in contemporary art and emerging forms of media. Minimum two years gallery management experience
Demonstrated strong leadership skills. Excellent verbal and writing skills, public speaking skills, and computer proficiency. Exceptional artistic judgment. Demonstrated command of public relations functions. Superior program planning and implementation skills, with demonstrated management and organizational ability. Ability to work well alone and as part of a team; good interpersonal skills; creativity, energy and enthusiasm.
Mature judgement: flexibility and willingness to adapt to changing needs of organization. Able to remain calm in stressful situations. Safety-oriented. Eagerness to assume a leadership role in the organization and in the community.
Job Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: art gallery, curatorial, exhibition, and manager. States: Florida.
Please Share the Exhibitions Manager job: