Exhibition & Graphic Design Specialist
The Kansas City Public Library seeks applicants for the Exhibition and Graphic Design Specialist position.
Housed within the Kansas City Public Library’s Public Affairs & Community Engagement Department, the Exhibit and Graphic Design Specialist oversees two formal art galleries in the Central Library, collaborates with Library and community stakeholders to develop art- and exhibition-based programming and occasional artist commissions.
The responsibilities of this position fall into several areas:
Exhibition Planning & Execution
- Manages approximately eight exhibitions each year in the Library’s two primary visual art galleries, including researching topics and artists; conceptualizing exhibition themes; developing educational collateral; organizing loans; scheduling exhibition-related programming and other activities; managing exhibition budgets; and overseeing the installation, documentation, and deinstallation of exhibitions by Library staff and/or contracted art professionals.
- Works with the manager of the Missouri Valley Room to develop original exhibitions featuring the Library’s collection of historic maps, artifacts, and documents.
- Designs exhibitions that are bold, smart, and innovative; complements the Library’s strategic initiatives, collections, and public programs; engages the curiosity of Library patrons; establishes relationships with regional arts organizations; and advances the Library’s civic leadership role within Kansas City and the region.
- Designs all printed materials related to each exhibition, including gallery cards, outdoor banners, and other materials required to promote the exhibition and related programming.
Art-Based Public Programming
- Works with colleagues to conceptualize, implement, and support exhibition- or collection-related public programs, such as exhibition-related artist talks or speaker series and occasional Library or community-focused art activities, workshops, or commissions.
Collection Management & Philanthropy Department Collaboration
- Manages the Library’s collection of art and artifacts, ensuring that the collection database is current and accurate.
- Assists with the placement and installation of art pieces from the Library’s collection at the Central Library or branch locations.
- Works closely with the Philanthropy Department to identify and secure grants, sponsorships, and gifts to support exhibitions and programming. Assists in stewarding art donors, sponsors, and grant-based funders.
Public Affairs & Community Engagement Department
- Supports and assists with the execution of a broad range of public programming, beyond those programs specifically related to the Exhibition and Graphic Design Specialist position.
- Participates in department planning, program development, and team-building activities.
- Assists in the production of Library marketing materials including print promotions, digital graphics, and other tools and resources.
- Works with the senior writer/editor in managing the printed signature events calendar.
- Works closely with the art director to develop solutions to the Library’s marketing needs, offering strategic guidance for promotional efforts.
- Demonstrates creativity, responsibility, and strong critical thinking skills when producing high-quality materials that uphold or advance the Library’s working brand standards.
- Must be knowledgeable and passionate about gallery and public art practices and possess broad knowledge about the larger cultural sphere.
- Must possess dedication to broad public engagement with art and culture.
- 4 years of combined experience curating and/or designing visual art exhibitions.
- Experience working with artists including performing studio visits.
- Demonstrated curatorial experience, preferably in small venues that require broad skill sets.
- Experience developing and implementing engaging public programming.
- Demonstrated evidence of creative collaborations and partnerships.
- Excellent and engaging writing skills, with direct experience writing exhibition descriptions, introduction and section panels, and didactic labels.
- Experience with collections management and basic understanding of collection stewardship and conservation practices.
- Strong grant- or proposal-writing skills required.
- Proficiency in the Adobe Creative Suite.
- A portfolio is required.
How to apply
Please apply to this position using our online application system at kclibrary.org/jobs.
All candidates must complete an application. Please attach a resume and cover letter detailing your relevant background and skills to your application, plus two exhibition samples including description of your role in developing and implementing the exhibition, as well as two writing samples.
Job Categories: Library. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: arts, curator, exhibition, graphic design, library, and marketing. States: Missouri.
Please Share the Exhibition & Graphic Design Specialist job: