Full-Time Executive Director
About Open Space
Open Space for Arts & Community is a multi-use arts and community facility on Vashon Island in Washington state.
Uniquely structured as an LLC with a philanthropic mission, Open Space is seeking an executive director who is unique as well. Co-founders Janet McAlpin and David Godsey are active team members and provide artistic direction for Open Space.
Allied Arts Foundation of Seattle currently serves as an umbrella for charitable donations and grants. Open Space is researching the formation of a 501(c)3 arm within the tenure of the next Executive Director.
Open Space is where Vashon gathers to celebrate the unbreakable bond between arts and community. We co-create extraordinary artistic, community building experiences that enrich and inspire all involved.
We are an incubator for new ideas. We bring dreams to life.
We offer a lively diverse range of arts, and proudly contribute to the success of fundraisers, classes, community meetings and more.
We are led by artists, in service to our community.
art. heart. soul.
Open Space founders Janet McAlpin and David Godsey have been performing artists in the Puget Sound region since they moved to Vashon in 1989. As artists on Vashon they knew first hand that the island needed a large, flexible, gathering place, big enough for hundreds to gather for celebrations, for classes, for aerialists to fly and performances of all kinds, a space with artists at the core that served the community at large.
In 2006, after years of searching, they purchased the former Stewart Brothers coffee warehouse property, and in 2008 opened the doors as Open Space for Arts & Community.
Over the past 10 years Open Space has grown and developed along with the Vashon community. The facility has hosted over 300 events and productions, including community events such as the Democratic caucuses in 2016 (with more than 2000 people), countless fundraisers, as well as artistic events such as sold-out appearances by Macklemore, Trevor Hall and other internationally renowned artists.
A close-knit community that is regionally recognized as an island of artists, Vashon is a rural oasis that is a short ferry ride from Seattle or Tacoma. Access to those urban areas is shaping the future of this artistic community, especially as a destination for arts.
Open Space for Arts & Community has more than 23,000 square feet of flexible and professional spaces consisting of multiple rooms of various sizes. There are two theaters, a Grand Hall and a smaller black box theater, and five multipurpose rooms that are used for rehearsals, classes and meetings. The buildings are nestled on ten acres with three acres of grassy meadow for outdoor events.
Open Space currently produces burlesque shows, outdoor aerial performances, dances, concerts, gallery exhibitions and other arts and community events. Arts groups in residence at Open Space include the UMO Ensemble an School of Physical Arts and Civic Rep Theater. Yoga and movement classes also are offered year-round. We host community gatherings, special occasions, weddings, artistic workshops and annual fundraisers for local nonprofit organizations.
Open Space prides itself on being run by artists, and the ideal candidate will have the ability to be a creative catalyst for projects, partnerships and community building, and contribute to the collaborative process with artists who reside short term or long term at Open Space. They should be able to work as the prime mover of the organization, in concert with the co-founders. They will identify opportunities, hold the vision for what’s possible, and help chart the course forward. This is a mission-driven position for someone who can be vision-focused and also develop feasible plans.
Because of the unique combination of spaces at Open Space the opportunities for the next Executive Director are nearly limitless. One goal is to enliven the heart of community here on Vashon by filling the spaces with creativity, innovation, education and joy that are fresh, powerful, relevant, engaging and fun. Another equally vital goal is to serve artists from all over the world who are looking for an open space to practice, refine and present their craft.
The ideal candidate would be willing to plant roots on Vashon Island, integrate into the community and build strong relationship and meaningful partnerships.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities*
The Executive Director performs the following:
- Uphold the mission and purpose, and embody the culture of Open Space
- Foster effective teamwork between the staff
- Conduct official correspondence on behalf of the organization as appropriate
- Participate with Co-founders in continuing to develop the strategic plan to guide the organization
- Identify, assess, and inform Co-founders of internal and external issues that affect the organization
- Act as a spokesperson for the organization
- Represent the organization at community activities to enhance the organization’s community profile
Operational planning and management
- Develop an operational plan which incorporates goals and objectives that work towards the strategic direction of the organization
- Ensure that the operation of the organization meets the expectations of its clients, Co-founders and Funders
- Oversee the efficient and effective day-to-day operation of the organization, the facility and grounds
- Draft policies and prepare procedures to implement the organizational policies; review existing policies on an annual basis
- Ensure that personnel, client, donor and volunteer files are securely stored and privacy/confidentiality is maintained
- Guide the marketing and public relations team
- Manage lead staff members and office assistant
Program planning and management
- Oversee the planning, implementation and evaluation of the organization’s programs and services
- Ensure that the programs and services offered by the organization contribute to the organization’s mission and reflect the priorities of the organization
- Monitor the day-to-day delivery of the programs and services of the organization to maintain or improve quality
- Oversee the planning, implementation, execution and evaluation of special projects
Human resources planning and management
- Determine staffing requirements for organizational management and program delivery
- Oversee the implementation of the human resources policies, procedures and practices including the development of job description for all staff
- Establish a positive, healthy and safe work environment in accordance with all appropriate legislation and regulations
- Recruit, interview and select staff that have the right technical and personal abilities to help further the organization’s mission
- Ensure that all staff receives an orientation to the organization and that appropriate training is provided
- Implement a performance management process for all staff which includes monitoring the performance of staff on an on-going basis and conducting an annual performance review
- Coach and mentor staff as appropriate to improve performance
- Discipline staff when necessary using appropriate techniques; release staff when necessary using appropriate and legally defensible procedures
Financial planning and management
- Work with staff and Co-founders to prepare a comprehensive budget
- Work with the Co-founders to secure adequate funding for the operation of the organization
- Be a leader in fund-raising activities, donor stewardship and sponsorship
- Approve expenditures within the authority delegated by the Co-founders
- Ensure that sound bookkeeping and accounting procedures are followed
- Administer the funds of the organization according to the approved budget and monitor the monthly cash flow of the organization
- Provide Co-founders with comprehensive, regular reports on the revenues and expenditure of the organization
- Communicate with stakeholders/ Donors/ Co-founders to keep them informed of the work of the organization and to identify changes in the community served by the organization
- Establish good working relationships and collaborative arrangements with community groups, funders, politicians, and other organizations to help achieve the goals of the organization
- Identify and evaluate the risks to the organization’s people (clients, staff, management, volunteers), property, finances, goodwill, and image and implement measures to control risks
- Ensure that the organization carries appropriate and adequate insurance coverage
- Ensure that the Co-founders and staff understand the terms, conditions and limitations of the insurance coverage
- Qualified applicants must have a bachelor’s degree and a minimum of five years of increasing responsibility in a senior management role in theater, arts, and cultural or nonprofit organization. Candidates should possess a strong command of business practices and financial management, staff development, fundraising and arts marketing.
- Ideally, the candidate has experience or knowledge of applying for 501(c)3 status. Priority will be given to candidates who have experience in the performing arts as a presenter or producer.
Compensation and benefits
- This position is fulltime with partial health benefits.
- Competitive salary is D.O.E.
To be considered, please submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by DECEMBER 12, 2018.
No calls or drop in visits, please.
Please visit our website www.openspacevashon.com to view our programs and performances.
Open Space for Arts & Community is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to equal opportunity without regard to age, race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, citizenship, disability, pregnancy, maternity, marriage, civil partnership, citizenship, disability, or any other basis of discrimination prohibited by applicable law.Job Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: arts, director, executive director, human resources, management, and recruitment. States: Washington.
Please Share the Executive Director job: