Director of Talks
Sixth & I is seeking a full-time Director of Talks, reporting to the Chief Brand and Content Officer, to manage the booking, administration, and execution of on average 50 speaker-oriented events annually, including authors on book tour, live podcast recordings, and panel discussions.
This position offers a flexible schedule for remote work, but must be located in the Washington, DC area to facilitate events-driven on-site work as needed and requires an average of 3 nights per week or weekend during busy season.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Programming and Partnerships:
Conceptualize and research program topics and new partnerships to fulfill distinctive content goals and create a robust calendar of Talks events, with potential for up to 750 in-person attendees and a virtual audience, in partnership with the Chief Brand and Content Officer
- Work with book publicists, talent agencies, and other program content partners through all steps of booking process including, but not limited to, negotiating event deal terms and executing contracts
- Secure program moderators
- Draft and deliver welcome remarks as needed
- Stay abreast of current events and pop culture to identify and inform event content
- Event Management:
Oversee the planning and execution of all Talks events from conception through execution and evaluation
- Capture and meticulously plan for a high volume of advance logistics for multiple events simultaneously.
- Liaise with house, box office, production, security, and facilities staff throughout the advance planning phase and on-site for all Talks events
- Manage book order fulfillment and field patron inquiries about orders
- Manage talent, run-of-show, and book signings on-site
- Submit and confirm settlement of all post-event financials and invoices
- Review event surveys with eye to improving content, overall event implementation, and patron experience
- Department Management
- Supervise Talks Associate
- Work with team members to establish individual goals that contribute to department’s strategic objectives as identified by Chief Brand and Content Officer
- Create annual department budget and manage throughout the year, making monthly projection and individual event updates
- Maintain event history data and provide information as needed to Development for grant applications and reports
- 8-10 years of relevant experience in live event management and content production
- 3-5 years of team management experience
- Extensive knowledge of and experience with talent booking process and contract negotiations; experience in literary world preferred
- Fluency in the production elements and pacing of live events
- Commitment to high standard of customer service when engaging with patrons, program partners, and other stakeholders
- Exemplary organizational skills, time management, and attention to detail
- Demonstrated decisiveness and problem-solving on the fly in a fast-paced live event environment
- Receptive to feedback and guidance
- Ability to stand for long periods of time, lift up to 25 pounds, and walk up and down stairs without accommodation
SALARY & BENEFITS
- Salary: Sixth & I recently developed a comprehensive pay equity philosophy. This role sits in Sixth & I’s Level 4 salary band offering a salary range starting at $88,000 with the potential to grow to $132,000 over time.
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Benefits: Sixth & I has a competitive benefits package that includes Health, Vision and Dental Insurance, Paid Vacation and Sick Leave, Retirement Savings w/ Matching Program, Pre-tax Transit Benefit, Paid Holidays, Parental Leave and more. In addition to regular vacation time and summer Fridays, our office is closed the week of July 4th and between Christmas and New Year’s, as well as for select Jewish holidays.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis with a deadline of Friday, February 10. To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with your name and “Director of Talks” in the subject line.
No phone calls or emails please.
Candidates will be contacted if there is an opportunity to be interviewed by Friday, February 17.
The anticipated new hire for this position will start by April 1.
Sixth & I is an equal employment opportunity employer.
Systemic inequities in hiring have caused many women, people of color, and LGBTQ+ people to apply to jobs only if they meet 100% of the qualifications. If you don’t have all of the qualifications listed but are extremely organized, passionate about our mission, and believe you have applicable and transferable skills from other industries, we encourage you to apply for this job.
WHAT IS SIXTH & I?
Sixth & I is a center for arts, entertainment, ideas, and Jewish life in Washington, DC. We inspire more meaningful and fulfilling lives through an unexpected mix of experiences that embrace the multi-faceted identities of those we serve. Housed within a revitalized historic synagogue dating back to 1908 in the heart of the Nation’s Capital, Sixth & I reimagines how culture, community, and Jewish life can enhance people’s everyday lives. Across wide-ranging, thought-provoking, and accessible experiences, we celebrate the unexpected intersections between culture and spirituality and, in so doing, expand our sense of what’s sacred.
Job Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: administration, arts center, director, entertainment, events, executive, and management. States: DC.
Please Share the Director of Talks job: