Director of Marketing, Communications, and Sales
For four decades and counting, On the Boards (OtB) has moved the needle on culture in Seattle. We continue to occupy a unique corner of this region’s cultural turf—presenting dance, theater, and performance works that are challenging, provoking, surprising, and inspiring. We influence the contemporary art field on a global scale, investing and supporting in local artists who go on to develop careers and performances that are shared with thousands of audience members across the world.
OtB fulfills its mission by supporting artists from the Northwest and beyond, through new commissions and existing work presented online and in person. OtB offers a range of resources and events that provide in-depth information and complimentary social experiences to frame the art on its stages and create dynamic access for its audiences.
The Director of Marketing, Communications and Sales is a key member of the senior leadership team and will oversee all of OtB’s marketing, brand development and PR strategies, ticketing and sales operations. The role is supported by the External Relations and Development teams, as well as a set of external consultants providing strategy and design support. In this role you will have the opportunity to meaningfully make a big impact on a small organization, raising awareness for new and emerging artists and drawing together audiences for memorable and unique performances.
On the Boards prioritizes a collaborative, team-oriented culture where everyone has a high level of ownership and performance in their roles, and where we care for ourselves, each other, and our community. We are a flexible workplace and place high priority on the health and well-being of our staff.
- OVERSIGHT: Oversee and lead the External Relations Team, ensuring the day-to-day responsibilities of OtB’s communications, public relations, marketing, design, ticketing, and partnerships are executed excellently and creatively
- LEADERSHIP: Contribute to the development and execution of OtB’s overall strategic planning and values alignment as a senior leader in the organization
- MANAGEMENT: Hire and identify all Marketing and Communications related personnel, including any outsourced vendors, firms, and agencies, in partnership with the Communications Manager
- BUDGET: Collaborate with the Operations department to generate and manage the Communications budget
Strategy & Execution
- STRATEGY : Develop, implement, and oversee a multi-segment annual marketing, communications strategy for the On The Boards season across all paid, earned, and owned channels: social, website, press, email communications, advertising, and more… with a focus of maintaining and growing our two audiences — annual subscription holders and single ticket buyers.
- COORDINATION: Along with the Development Director, create and coordinate the OtB-wide communications calendar and ensure both our patrons and donors receive distinct, congruent, and appropriate content.
- STORYTELLING: Collaborate with the External Relations team and Curatorial Team to source, inspire, develop, and deliver specific communications materials, activities and campaigns that amplify our artists and productions across key audiences and channels.
- CONTENT CREATION: Lead on creating compelling and creative campaign content for media across your portfolio of campaigns, and support the department on other campaigns – including press releases, blogs, op-eds, and talking points
- SALES STRATEGY: Collaborate with the Executive Director to establish ticket pricing, packages, subscription formats, etc, for each season and accompanying advertising and sales strategy.
- BRAND MANAGEMENT: Manage messaging standards to ensure messaging is consistent across channels, working with the External Relations, Development, and Curatorial teams.
- EXECUTION: Support the External Relations team in executing strategy
Public Relations and Partnerships
- BRAND DEVELOPMENT: Expand OtB’s influence and position us as an arts leader by initiating and leading productive alliances with media, peer organizations, industry groups, and strategic networks, leading to increased media profile, digital engagement; and securing writing and speaking engagements for the organization.
- PRESS: Coordinate the creation and distribution of press releases and personal emails to the press and influencers that highlight On The Boards programming
- PARTNERSHIPS: Work to develop new marketing and promotional partnerships in Seattle & the greater regional and national arts scene. And maintain an updated and accurate contact list of local promotional connections and regional media contacts
This job description is not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of this position. All OtB employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed, to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
OUR IDEAL CANDIDATE
OtB is looking for team members who are excited to be a part of a creative community, oriented towards problem solving and communication, and bring a growth mentality —that is, they are willing to do things differently, test things out, fail and get back up again. We hope to find someone who is curious and can connect to people with authenticity and kindness. We expect you to share our values of collaboration, trusting each other, transparency, integrity, cross-cultural respect and sensitivity.
Specifically, we are looking for:
- 5-8 years of progressively responsible and relevant experience in marketing and communications, and/or public relations experience. Nonprofit or venue-based experience is a plus.
- At least 2 years experience of leading and managing a team, with evidence of designing, developing, and coaching integrated marketing and communications teams preferred.
- Experience with developing and implementing successful marketing and communications plans from strategy through execution to analysis.
- Demonstrated commitment to racial and gender equity, and understanding the role inequities play in our society; experience leading diversity, equity, and inclusion work in an organization or a team a plus
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and an ability to develop trust and maintain deep relationships with a variety of diverse students, partners, and community members.
- Strong project management skills, including the ability to plan out project steps, create and meet deadlines, manage schedules, communicate through challenges, and stay highly organized with competing priorities and information; Operates with thoughtfulness around accomplishing goals
- A collaborative approach to problem-solving, including the ability to pivot to meet immediate needs, or address unforeseen.
- A persistent commitment to communication in the face of challenge and conflict.
The strongest candidates will have:
- Experience leading communications and marketing in a nonprofit organization, theater, performance space, music venue, or arts institution that deals with regular ticketing and events.
On The Boards is most interested in attracting a teammate who will be successful and fulfilled in this role, not just someone who can check off every box below. If you feel like this job excites and resonates with you but aren’t sure you fill all the qualifications of the role, please consider still applying. We are ready to grow with you.
HOURS, LOCATION CONDITIONS
Reports To: Executive Director
FLSA Classification: Full-Time Exempt Salary
This position is 40 hours a week and flexibly hybrid (3-4 days on-site, negotiable). Candidates must be able to commute reliably to our office in Seattle with occasional evening or weekend work for special events. Additionally, we offer:
- Paid time off, including 12 holidays, vacation, personal and sick leave.
- 100% Employer paid medical, dental, vision, life and disability (prorated for part time employees)
- 403b Retirement Plan
- Professional Development Stipend
- Complementary performance tickets
COVID: You must be vaccinated to the level recommended by the CDC to provide immunity. You may request a medical or religious exemption from vaccine requirements.
Priority deadline for this role is October 7th, with an early review on September 30th.
On The Boards is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We respect and seek to empower each individual and support the diverse cultures, perspectives, skills, and experiences within our staff, students, and governing institutions. Candidates with diverse backgrounds and experience are encouraged to apply. On the Boards will engage in the interactive process to make reasonable accommodations that enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential duties when possible.
Job Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: director, marketing, public relations, and sales. States: Washington.
Please Share the Director of Marketing, Communications, and Sales job: