Full-Time Director of Marketing and Strategic Communications
Are you a marketing and communications innovator that can serve as a trusted advisor while simultaneously managing all aspects of our strategic marketing communications? Can you shape and build marketplace voice and reputation, while delivering impactful customer and donor targeted programs that generate leads? Are you excited to be part of a $20 Million campaign to transform a community arts center into a regional center of excellence, to be unveiled in 2019?
The Umbrella Community Arts Center is an innovative and forward-thinking center of excellence in the arts in the greater Boston area. We foster – and connect – the arts with our local and regional community through arts education, performing arts, studio arts, our arts gallery, and arts & the environment programs. We are at a stage in our growth plan where we need an experienced and versatile marketing and communications leader who thrives in a “make it happen” environment. This is a dual role which requires the candidate have current experience, and demonstrable results, in both brand-building communications, and consumer and donor-based marketing to support business development plans and customer lead generation.
Our stakeholders include local and regional arts consumers, our 55 talented resident artists, the adults and children who take our courses, a sophisticated and passionate donor community, a diverse group of volunteers and committee members, a volunteer Board, and business and financial influencers. Our consumer and donor targets and customers are a mix of families, artists, individuals, and corporations interested in engaging with our current programs and in supporting our dynamic vision for the future.
The Director of Marketing and Strategic Communications will work collaboratively with our program directors in arts education, performing arts, studio and gallery arts, arts & environment, donor solicitation and support, and ongoing business development, and will have direct involvement with our most senior Board members, advisors, and customers. This position reports directly to our Executive Director.
Characteristics Our ideal candidate will be excited and energized by the completely hands-on nature of this role, and a contribution level that will vary on any given day from helping the executive team evaluate the risks and rewards of new communications approaches, to clicking the button to launch a new campaign, to making sure that the website is always current, to ensuring that our marketing efforts are correctly assessed and reported to keep a diverse team informed and engaged.
S/he will have the blend of flexibility and focus that is needed to meet objectives in the environment of an arts-oriented non-profit organization undergoing the exciting process of reinvention and expansion, along with a management style that enables smooth delivery of complex projects from end to end.
S/he has a strong presence and a unique voice – a blend of confidence, humility, and humor that gains credibility and trust with other strong, savvy colleagues and subject matter experts. S/he will embrace the opportunity to build out and implement marketing and communications programs; and will be eager to craft and manage a team that isn’t about adding FTEs (resources include a several freelancers and vendor partners in design, production, web, distribution, and events – as well as a talented group of volunteers). S/he thrives in an artistic, diverse, and intellectually dynamic environment.
Leadership and Functional Management
- Build and implement marketing communications strategy to expand brand awareness, program engagement, and donor support
- Develop and manage the measurement of progress toward objectives, as well as budgets, and proactively optimize or re-direct approaches
- Demonstrate ROI to leadership and to peers – be accountable for results and operations
- Actively participate in the arts space, developing the knowledge, insight and connections to be able to initiate and advocate new opportunities for The Umbrella to build presence and impact
- Manage performance of vendors and volunteers to deliver a proactive marketing operation
- Work closely with department heads to collaboratively develop programs that impact both reputation and revenue for the organization; leveraging peer expertise
- Serve as a core spokesperson for The Umbrella, dependent on situation and subject matter
- Manage and keep current an issues management/crisis plan that ties into communication protocols
- Advise executive management and key stakeholders of potential communication opportunities, and evaluate rewards and risks of potential approaches
- Work with Executive Director to keep employees, advisors, volunteers, Board members, and other stakeholders current on The Umbrella’s plans, activities, and results
- Ensure communications such as press releases, media alerts, and media outreach are executed flawlessly and integrated into overall marketing strategy and plan, working with external vendors, as appropriate
Customer and Donor Marketing
- Work with our department heads to connect The Umbrella with potential customers and donors
- Manage website, blog, and social media channels and create metrics and reports for reach, engagement, and conversion of marketing campaigns
- Collaborate on planning, implementation, running, and reporting of all lead generation programs
- Develop/edit content, and maintain a calendar for a regular schedule of blog posts, white papers, case studies, newsletters and social content mapped to The Umbrella’s overall marketing plan
- Work closely with Development team to promote annual fundraising activities and the capital campaign and assist with developing effective donor stewardship
- Create metrics for content reach and engagement, monitor through regular reports and adjust the content strategy accordingly
- Ensure efficient and impactful marketing for key products, courses, productions, exhibitions, and donor outreach initiatives
- Manage event marketing and planning, ensuring execution of major company events and ensure integration with other marketing initiatives including PR, lead generation, social engagement
- 5-7 years’ prior communications strategy and marketing experience that includes management advisement whether for colleagues or clients — as well as prior experience portfolio that demonstrates both strategic thinking and ability to execute tactically
- Versatile written communication skills (with demonstrable experience in copywriting, content marketing, blogging, or PR)
- Influential oral communication skills – one on one, groups
- Strong project and budget management skills, including the ability to independently manage and execute complex projects end-to-end
- Preference for experience in the arts and/or non-profit space – arts education, performing arts, gallery arts, arts philanthropy, etc.
- Donor based, and/or consumer technology marketing experience
- Experience using tools for marketing reporting, analytics, and marketing automation (e.g. Google Analytics, Pardot, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience developing, implementing and optimizing digital marketing strategies (SEO, SEM, and social media (paid and organic))
- Fluency in Microsoft Office, email marketing tools, and an understanding of database systems
- Adobe suite proficiency desirable
- Excellent understanding of social media tools and impact
- Occasional weekend or evening work required
EDUCATION – Bachelor’s degree required
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50% of the time
- Must be able to move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, such as a copier/printer, etc.
- Frequently needs to move equipment and supplies such as a sandwich board display weighing up to 30 pounds to building entrance or to other locations where events are held
The Umbrella Community Arts Center is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any person based on age, rage, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, parental status, or mental/physical handicap. Our compensation and benefits plan is designed to be competitive for the Boston suburban area in the non-profit sector.
Offers will be contingent upon experience.
Please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Electronic applications only, please
Please Share the Director of Marketing and Strategic Communications job: