Full-Time Director of Finance and Administration
North Carolina Theatre (NC Theatre) has provided a place of imagination and exploration for the triangle community for over three decades. Its mission is three-fold:
Feed the spirit of local citizens by providing outstanding theatre productions, using the best regional and national talent available, while preserving the unique American art form of musical theatre.
Fortify the cultural vitality of the region by offering broad access to live theatre, while strengthening economic growth in the region.
Foster the next generation of artists and leaders who will become future patrons of the arts through training, performance, and outreach programs.
Programs employed to meet this mission include:
- Mainstage musicals and plays of the highest quality featuring a diverse blend of the best of Broadway and local talent; and
- Creative engagement and education programs, through Conservatory training, in-school programs, audience enrichment programs, and community partnerships.
Reporting to the President & CEO, the Director of Finance and Administration will head the Finance and Administration Department, directing the organization’s financial planning and accounting functions. The Director of Finance and Administration will develop systems to provide critical financial and operational information to President & CEO and key staff.
This position will be responsible for Accounting Services, Human Resources, and Administration.
A key factor contributing to the Director’s success will be collaboration with staff at all levels of the organization, in particular those with primary responsibility for expenditures and revenues. In addition, a critical component of the position will be engaging with specialist consultants who will help administer certain duties (payroll, IT, some elements of HR).
Description of duties (other duties may be assigned):
- Oversee and direct usual and customary finance and accounting processes such as treasury, budgeting, audit, tax, general accounting (accounts payable/receivable, deposits, reconciliation of accounts, ledger maintenance, etc.).
- Act as custodian of funds, investments and all assets of the organization.
- Monitor and forecast cash requirements, ensuring the availability of funds and reporting any upcoming periods of dynamic cash flow.
- Develop accurate and timely financial forecasts to enable senior management to make informed institutional decisions. This includes organizing regular meetings with department leaders to share information, and assist in strategizing solutions as needed.
- Work with departmental staff leaders in managing and improving their processes around revenue and expense. Build strong systems where these leaders have the information they need to help them make good financial decisions.
- Coordinate and execute on all tax reporting and payment requirements.
- Appraises the organization’s financial position and issues periodic reports on organization’s financial stability, liquidity, and growth.
- Direct the finance and administration team in systems necessary to maintain proper records and to afford adequate accounting controls and services.
Human Resources Management:
- Oversee and direct human resources services including employee onboarding and off-boarding, payroll, benefits administration, workers’ compensation, union relations, training, and more.
- Successfully manage HR contractor relationship to help NC Theatre achieve a positive workforce environment.
- Oversee and direct general administration activities such as institutional insurance, some facility relationship management, taxes, and more. Oversee IT contractor who provides hardware, software, cloud and on-site server management, Office 365 environment, and help desk services.
Characteristics of the Director of Finance and Administration:
- Demonstrable passion for the mission of NC Theatre with experience in a live entertainment / performing arts institution preferred.
- Strong written and oral communication allowing effective communication of the financial health of the company to all stakeholders.
- The ability to make decisions with confidence and assertiveness.
- Skill in forecasting, analysis and planning while maintaining a strong eye on daily transactional activity.
- Knowledge of and experience in internal control systems.
- Ability to understand NC Theatre’s business model, and have a macro view of the numbers, drivers and bottlenecks relating to production, marketing, vendors, donors, etc.
- A hands-on manager of both employees and contractors who has integrity and a desire to work in a dynamic environment.
- High ethical and professional standards.
- A willingness to be adaptive and take calculated risks to grow and improve the financial position of the company.
- Have a results-oriented nature, with the ability to set goals that are specific, measurable, achievable, relevant and traceable.
- Possess leadership qualities to enable delegation and oversight of the financial operations of the company effectively. These qualities include emotional intelligence; self-awareness, self-regulation, motivation, empathy and social skills.
- The capacity to resolve different points of view constructively and bring cohesion to a wide array of stakeholders while interacting with them in a positive manner, treating them fairly, and listening carefully to what others have to say.
- Great on a team – this is a small office and collaboration and positive interaction between staff members is key to the success of this position.
Detailed List of Some Regular Responsibilities
- Outgoing Funds: review check requests; review payables report; decide what to pay and process checks; review credit card statements; reconcile and pay credit cards; process monthly sales tax payments and semi-annual sales tax refund report.
- Incoming Funds: receive all cash and checks and the daily rec and code them and compile the batches to be given to Senior Finance Associate for processing; review and sign off on all completed deposits after entry into QB by Senior Finance Associate; reconcile the Conservatory income accounts; handle settlements outside partners; administer General Ledger.
Financials and Budgets: reconcile the majority of balance sheet accounts, with the exception of any that an outside CPA reconciles (currently the investment accounts); close each month in a timely fashion; lead all budget processes leading to and administering the annual budget; break up the budget into quarterly budgets; meet with department heads monthly to track their budgeted expenses and where they might be off budget; meet with department heads regularly to determine what has been spent/earned and what is projected to be spent/earned; devise ways to move the company from a “look back” point of view to a “look forward” point of view; ensure correct and efficient processes to make sure we know what has already been spent/earned; lead all annual and other audits; prepare all finance documents for Board meetings; engage in frequent meetings with the CEO to analyze financial health of company.
HR and general administration: Manage Senior Finance Associate and any part-time staff or volunteers in the Finance and Administration Department; manage all employee processes including payroll, on-boarding/off-boarding, workers’ comp administration, benefits such as health insurance administration; union relations and administration; COBRA administration; HR emergencies and HR services in general; HR manual updates and administration; training; helping support CEO in annual reviews and compensation reviews; administer all liability insurance processes; IT, HR, and Payroll contractor management.
How to Apply
Apply on-line at:Job Categories: Other. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: administration, director, finance, human resources, and theatre. States: North Carolina.
Please Share the Director of Finance and Administration job: