Full-Time Director of Education
Director of Education
Turtle Bay Music School, New York, NY
STATUS: Full-Time Salaried
BENEFITS: Medical, Dental and Vision
HOURS: 40 hours per week, including some evenings and/or weekends
START DATE: October/November 2018
About Turtle Bay Music School
Founded in 1925, Turtle Bay Music School (TBMS) is one of the oldest community music schools in the United States, and is a founding member of the National Guild of Community Arts Education. Turtle Bay Music School strives to spread the transformative power of music by providing the highest quality music education and experiences to all in the community who seek them. Reaching more than 5,000 New Yorkers each year, TBMS believes:
- Everyone is welcome to share our passion for music, regardless of age, race, ability, or economic status.
- Music education should be made available to all school-aged children.
- Community service is integral to TBMS as a way for the School to share its mission and values with the people of New York.
- TBMS is committed to creating a wide range of opportunities for our dedicated and talented faculty to pursue continued excellence as educators and performers.
TBMS is in the final phase of relocating to a new, fully accessible facility in Mid-Town Manhattan. This relocation allows TBMS to expand and strengthen its tuition bearing programs as well as grow and deepen its impact through outreach and community based programs in senior centers, public schools and through the Saturday Music Project.
Scope of the Position
The Director of Education provides leadership and strategic direction for all in-house tuition bearing lessons and classes (with the exception of The Preschool at TBMS), as well as Community Partnerships and Outreach. They are responsible for maintaining a cohesive educational vision centered around access, inclusion and excellence. The Director of Education is a compassionate and driven leader with the experience to increase enrollment and improve student experience through effective management, program development, evaluation, and systems thinking.
- Oversee TBMS’s education programs with the goal of offering a broad-based continuum to reflect the needs of students of all ages and abilities
- Manage the program staff and teaching artists
- Monitor and continually work to improve the systems processes that are necessary to support programming
- Develop and monitor the program budget to meet strategic educational goals
- Work with the registration and placement team to grow and monitor enrollment and track trends to inform future program development
- Measure the success of our programs through evaluation best practices such as faculty and parent surveys and observing student outcomes
- In collaboration with the Executive Director, plan and oversee professional development opportunities for faculty and staff
- Explore and maintain educational strategic partnerships with local and regional schools and organizations to grow and expand our programmatic offerings
- Liaise with the Marketing team to develop and execute a dynamic marketing strategy
- Partner with the Director of Development in the production and implementation of business, foundation and government grant applications, and strategize to create giving opportunities in support of music education and community programs
- Cultivates relationships with TBMS families, adult students, potential donors and with other stakeholders including the Board of Trustees
- Embrace a responsibility for building and deepening a sense of community throughout all levels of the organization
- Represent TBMS locally and nationally serving as an advocate for arts education
Compensation and Reporting
The Director of Education reports to the Executive Director, and works full time (40 hours/week). Salary is commensurate with experience. Full health and dental benefits are provided, as well as generous paid vacation time.
Position requirements and core competencies
- A Masters degree in Music, Music Education, Arts/Non-profit Administration or comparable degree
- At least 5 years leadership and or managerial experience in a non-profit arts organization, preferably music-based
- At least 5 years experience as a music teacher
- Proven track record of planning and overseeing budgets and growing programs
- Team builder, strategic and systems thinker, public speaker, listener, communicator
- Must have sense of humor and warm heart
Please send a resume and cover letter that describes your specific interest in and qualifications for the position.
Please send to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Attention: Director of Education search. No calls, please. Turtle Bay Music School is an equal opportunity employerJob Categories: Education. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: director, education, management, music, and school. States: New York.
Please Share the Director of Education job: