Director of Education
TheatreSquared seeks a Director of Education to lead its far-reaching learning, training, arts integration and lifelong learning programs serving more than 20,000 students each year in a three-state area.
This position is a senior member of the theatre’s leadership team, part of the theatre’s core operations group, and reports to the Artistic Director and Executive Director.
By extending access to art and creating inclusive learning programs, this key staff member helps to answer the question, “How can a theatre be an agent of social change—helping foster a community that is fundamentally more equitable?”
The Director of Education will:
- Lead the Department of Education, including professional staff and teaching artists, to reach the education and learning goals outlined in TheatreSquared’s mission
- Oversee and execute the Schools Tour, reaching more than 80 schools in Arkansas, Oklahoma and Missouri with original performances and in-school workshops
- Oversee TheatreSquared’s Summer Academy camps and academies for youth, collaborating with the Arts Engagement Director
- Launch and oversee a new paid internship/apprenticeship program for early-career arts professionals, with a special focus on candidates from underrepresented communities
- Supervise the execution of Word/Play and other in-school residencies
- In partnership with the development team, help secure grant support for educational programs
- Sustain and expand earned revenue through educational performances and offerings, including an expansion of corporate workshop offerings, while ensuring there are avenues for access via scholarship for whom payment may not be an option
- Oversee recruitment and booking of educational groups at student matinees and performances throughout the season
- Create professional development opportunities for educators, working with the Arts Engagement Director to offer the T2 Professional Development Institute along with statewide opportunities throughout the year
- Cultivate a network of experts, school administrators, educators and students to continue to develop programs and improve through regular feedback
- Create “lifelong learning” opportunities for adult learners and seek partnerships with groups (e.g., book clubs, interest groups, community organizations) to continue the conversation beyond the life of a performance
- Create an annual budget for Education Programs; supervise monthly budgetary tracking and reporting, including current financial results and budget performance forecasting. Monitor and document program budgets, including receipt tracking and reporting.
- Help to develop and maintain mutually beneficial partnerships and cooperative relationships within the theatre and with outside organizations. Represent TheatreSquared at public and private events and meetings
Preferred candidates will have meaningful experience as a teaching artist, in youth program planning, and in developmental and education theory; will be detail-oriented with excellent communication, project management and supervisory skills; and have proficiency with budgeting and constituent management. Skills that are likely to be key in this role include positive interpersonal communication, keen organization and executive function, and a sensitive understanding of how equity and anti-racism are core values to creating an inclusive space. The ideal candidate will also have a genuine interest in live, professional theatre and the many mission-driven impacts a professional theatre can make to a broader region.
To apply, submit a cover letter, employment resume, and references by visiting theatresquared.bamboohr.com/jobs/ .
TheatreSquared celebrates diversity and commits to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. The company’s goal is to remove barriers to employment that are faced by racialized groups and encourage applicants of all genders, abilities, and ethnic, socio-economic, religious, and educational backgrounds. TheatreSquared believes that a team with a variety of perspectives and skills is critical to our growth as an organization, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
Please note: All interviews at this time will be held via video service (Google, Zoom, etc.)
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
This permanent, full-time, exempt position includes a $60,000 annual salary and full benefits. These benefits include health; dental; paid time off; paid parental leave; professional development allowance; employer-sponsored long-term and short-term disability; $100,000 in employer-sponsored term life insurance; and voluntary 401(k).
We believe that theatre—done well and with passion—can transform lives and communities. At the theatre, in schools and online, we create remarkable performances; broaden access; foster empathy, equity and cohesion; and gather with one another around art, conversation, food and other shared experiences in a welcoming, inclusive space.
THE COMPANY & REGION
TheatreSquared’s signature offering of bold new plays in an intimate setting has driven its growth to become the state’s largest theatre, offering more than 300 performances annually and operating on a $6 million annual budget. The playwright-led company is one of mid-America’s leading laboratories for new work, having launched more than 60 new plays. Its work has received critical acclaim from The New York Times (“Best Theater of 2020” list), The Wall Street Journal (“an outstanding drama company”), NPR’s All Things Considered, and the American Theater Wing, founder of the Tony Awards.
TheatreSquared’s home—winner of the 2020 American Architecture Award and the AIA NY Honor Award—is a cultural landmark. T2’s hometown of Fayetteville is annually ranked among the top ten US News and World Report “Best Places to Live,” a progressive, bike-friendly, and scenic college community near several Fortune 100 world headquarters. TheatreSquared’s remarkable expansion—with a twentyfold increase in audience in just the past decade— parallels the emergence of its home region as a booming population center and destination for American art.
Offering far-reaching access and education programs and an open-all-day gathering space, TheatreSquared remains rooted in its founding vision, that “theatre—done well and with passion—can transform lives and communities.”
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: director, education, learning, programs, and theatre. States: Arkansas.
Please Share the Director of Education job: