Director, Jewelry & Watches
Hindman Auctions→ Chicago, Illinois, United States
Hindman Auctions, an internationally recognized fine art auction house, is looking to add a full time, Director, Jewelry & Watches for our Chicago office.
Hindman is now represented in 14 cities in the United States and operates five salerooms, more than any other auction house in the country.
The Director of Jewelry & Watches will oversee the Jewelry & Watches department nationally while focusing on increasing the average lot value of jewelry and watch consignments, building Hindman’s customer and consignor base, and overseeing strategy for growing the business.
- Oversee and manage the Jewelry & Watches department, including all auctions, budgets and strategies
- Manage national team of specialists and support staff
- Build on the buyer and consignor bases
- Act as the senior/expert contact to important potential clients
- Proactively develop new opportunities to grow and maintain the quality of transactions with top trade and private collectors
- Research property for auction; assign auction estimates; evaluate property for IRS (estate tax, gift tax, donation, etc.) and insurance appraisals
- Collaborate with other Hindman departments to develop strategies for reaching new consignors and ensuring seamless client service
- Work with Hindman specialists to promote auctions by assisting and advising clients during auction previews, conferring with clients about the property; developing, tracking and communicating client interest and executing bids at auction
- Liaise between department and Hindman management
- Refine and create processes and standards
- Other duties as assigned
Successful Candidate Will Possess:
- Bachelor’s Degree; Graduate Gemologist (required)
- 15+ years of experience in the auction industry
- Experience at a major auction house
- In-depth knowledge of the jewelry and watch market with working knowledge of contemporary, antique and vintage items
- Proven ability to lead and manage a team including ability to multi-task and prioritize
- Strong sense of professionalism; ability to project expertise and authority in field of jewelry and watches
- Superior communication skills and presence
- Track record of successful client relationship management and new business generation
- Exceptional organizational skills; superior teamwork and administrative skills
- Ability to learn new internal systems and program quickly
- Strong negotiation and influencing skills
- Proven ability to deliver results
- 20% travel required
Hindman is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate based on identity- race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship status, or any other legally recognized protected basis under federal, state, or local law.
Please apply at your website – www.Hindmanauctions.com
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Job Categories: Other. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: auction, director, and management. States: Illinois.