Contemporary Art Gallery in Brooklyn, with a focus on the diaspora, seeks a highly motivated and experienced Director.
Successful applicants should have 8 – 10 years of gallery experience, with 5 years minimum experience as a Director.
Strong knowledge of international contemporary art, existing client base and relationships with artists, along with excellent management and communication skills are required.
- Oversee day-to-day gallery operations
- Research new artists, guest curators and art fair opportunities
- Work with gallery owner and guest curators to select artwork for exhibitions and art fairs
- Supervise exhibitions including:
- Working with guest curators for artist liaising
- managing artwork fabrication, printing, framing, and shipping
- overseeing installation and deinstallation
- writing and editing press releases and organizing support materials
- assisting in press solicitations
- distributing client previews and sales outreach
- Responsible for all aspects of sales for gallery including outreach to museum curators and institutions
- Work with registrar to manage inventory, consignment agreements and loan agreements
- Manage vendor and external relationships including shippers, mounters, printers, framers, craters, art handlers, suppliers, etc.
- Prepare international art fair applications
- Supervise all logistics for art fairs including shipments of art, travel, installation and support materials
- Serve as gallery representative at select art fairs
- Strategize and oversee gallery’s online and social media presence
- BA from four-year college or university in art history or related field
- MA or MFA required
- Experience handling artwork, including vintage photography, mixed media, and painting
- Curatorial track record
- Experience with social media
- Excellent writing skills
- Experience working with museum curators and institutions
- Proven leader
- Team player
- Highly motivated to be an active participant in the New York art scene
- Available to work Tuesday-Saturday
- Available to travel and work at art fairs and other events
Salary is commensurate with experience plus benefits.
Please submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com
Job Categories: Museum and Gallery. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: arts, director, gallery, management, and sales. States: New York.
Please Share the Director job: