Are you ready to set your career to music?
After more than 10 years of producing groundbreaking contemporary opera, Opera Parallèle is hiring a full-time Development Director.
This is a powerful opportunity to build a fundraising program that catalyzes the myriad assets of this innovative opera company, including a founding Artistic and General Director, a talented staff of seasoned professionals, and a strong and deeply committed Board of Directors who understand the importance of fundraising and prioritize it in their work.
About Opera Parallèle (OP)
We believe in the power of music, the importance of storytelling, and the ability of art to ignite awareness. Our belief that Opera is for everyone guides our work to collaborate with and engage in communities where traditional opera companies do not reach. OP’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion has been in our organizational DNA from its inception and we have recently redoubled our commitments in the area.
In our relatively short lifespan, OP had garnered national recognition for its artistic vibrancy, critical acclaim for its high artistic aesthetics, and respect among its peers as a leader in the field of contemporary opera.
About the Position
The company is extremely well-positioned and ready to continue our trajectory of growth by bringing on a full-time development professional leader who will bring creativity, structure, and vibrancy to our fundraising programs. The Development Director reports to the Chief Operating Officer.
The Development Director will lead a small team that develops and implements a fundraising plan to support Opera Parallèle’s programs, securing support from individuals, foundations, corporations, and government agencies and:
- Create and execute a strategy for growing our base of annual individual donors
- Develop and maintain a cultivation and solicitation system whereby key staff and board members maintain portfolios of prospective and current donors, moving prospects deliberately and artfully through the pipeline
- Produce compelling fundraising and cultivation events that raise money and increase visibility
- Work with OP’s Board and Development Committee to increase board giving and grow OP’s overall network of donors and community ambassadors
- Strengthen and manage OP’s grant programs including research, proposal writing, reporting, and compliance
- Overseeing the development database, data entry, and gift processing providing exceptional data integrity
- Oversee creation of collateral and content to support development activities
Characteristics and Experience
The Development Director has:
- Proven track record of raising funds from diverse sources, including major gifts from individuals, foundations, corporations, and government agencies
- Ability to lead, collaborate with, and inspire diverse colleagues, project partners, and other constituents, including the ability to work with flexibility, efficiency, and diplomacy both individually and as part of a team
- Strong interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills with broad and diverse audiences
- Experience in donor cultivation, grant writing, contracts management, and special events
- Experience handling multiple priorities effectively, organizing time efficiently, and a high tolerance for dynamic environments
- A passion for collaboration, courageous innovation, transparency, and authenticity
- An entrepreneurial spirit with a roll-up-one’s-sleeves mentality that supports the success of a small, growing arts organization
- Experience inspiring and harnessing the energy of board members, volunteers, and external stakeholders Demonstrated commitment to accountability, measuring outcomes, and a results-oriented culture
- Ability to take on responsibility, work independently, and be flexible in a changing environment with a commitment to accuracy and details
- Deep alignment with the company’s values and experience in promoting social and racial justice
- Knowledge of and connections to the arts funding community
- Three-plus years’ experience in a lead development role
- Experience working with a development database
- Ability to work remotely and travel as required
Compensation and Benefits
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with responsibilities and experience. There is a salary range midpoint of $110,000 with paid vacation and
holidays, and an employer contribution towards purchase of benefits.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Opera Parallèle is an equal opportunity employer. People of color, women, persons with disabilities, and persons in the LGBTQ+ community are highly encouraged to apply. Opera Parallèle maintains a policy of non-discrimination with respect to employees and applicants for employment. No aspect of employment will be influenced in any matter by race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, marital or parental status, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, physical disability, medical condition (including HIV or AIDS status), perceived physical disability, veteran status, or any other basis prohibited by statute.
Send your CV and a one-page cover letter explaining your interest and why you are a great fit for this position to email@example.com
Job Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: development, director, fund-raising, management, music, and opera. States: California.
Please Share the Development Director job: