Curatorial Assistant – Painting and Sculpture
The Museum of Modern Art is currently seeking a Curatorial Assistant who assists curators in all areas of responsibilities including administrative work in the context of curatorial functions such as research for exhibitions and publications, loans, acquisitions, collections records, bibliographic and biographical records and files, and general curatorial inquiries.
- Assists curators with all aspects of research, planning, organization, and realization of upcoming exhibitions.
- Writes, edits, and assists in the production of Museum publications and exhibition-related materials, including wall texts and extended object labels.
- Researches and catalogs the Museum collection and archives as they relate to the exhibition project. Answers related inquiries.
- Performs exhibition support functions, including bibliographic and checklist research, loan correspondence, publication research and production, website development, and public program planning.
- Assists in the maintenance of the collection and loans, and expedites arrangements for custodial, registration, conservation, and preparation work as required in the gallery, study and storage areas.
- Functions as a liaison with outside persons and organizations, and with other departments within the Museum.
- May assist in research and preparation for potential acquisitions for the collection, including biographical and bibliographical research, maintaining files, and communicating with dealers, galleries, collectors, and artists, as necessary.
- Keeps informed of current activity in the area of departmental interest through gallery and museum visits, publications, etc. and makes recommendations to senior staff.
- Conducts daily collection gallery inspections and daily inspection of works on view in temporary exhibitions and assists with follow-up arrangements in the event of damage, deterioration, etc.
- Answers inquiries and conducts gallery tours as necessary for visitors, etc.
- Performs any other duties reasonably related to the functions described above.
- Master’s degree in art history and relevant work experience or equivalent. Expertise in 20th-century American and European art history.
- Superior writing skills and familiarity with archival research procedures are essential.
- Working knowledge of at least one language in addition to English.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Working knowledge of MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint and other standard office procedures and skills. Familiarity with The Museum System (TMS) is helpful.
- Fully vaccinated with a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and/or the World Health Organization authorized vaccine (or approved for an exemption as a reasonable accommodation due to a qualified disability or sincerely held religious belief or other legal basis).
Reports to: Curatorial titles
How to Apply
To apply, please visit MoMA Jobs.
Applicants should submit a resume and a statement of interest.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy Statement:
Equal Employment Opportunity has been, and will continue to be, a fundamental principle at the Museum, where employment is based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, pregnancy, genetic information, military or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity or expression, marital and civil partnership/union status, alienage or citizenship status, creed, genetic predisposition or carrier status, unemployment status, familial status, domestic violence, sexual violence or stalking victim status, caregiver status, arrest or conviction record to the extent required by applicable law, credit history, or any other protected category as established by applicable law, including the New York City Human Rights Law (“NYCHRL”).
This is a unionized position at MoMA with covered employees represented by Local 2110, UAW, AFL-CIO.
Job Categories: Museum and Gallery. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: assistant, curatorial, exhibition, MOMA, museum, painting, and sculpture. States: New York.
Please Share the Curatorial Assistant – Painting and Sculpture job: