Curator of the RSM Art Gallery, Bentley University Library
This is a part-time position.
The part-time Curator of the RSM Art Gallery within Bentley Library develops, plans, and implements exhibitions and programs that support and advance the educational mission of the university.
Working in collaboration with colleagues from the Valente Center for Arts & Sciences, the Office of International Education, the Bentley Library and University Archives, the Curator ensures an ongoing calendar of exhibitions and related programming that is educationally relevant.
Exhibitions include the work of rising New England artists, Bentley University students, faculty and staff members, as well as exhibits utilizing materials from the Bentley University Archives.
The Curator serves as a representative of the RSM Gallery across campus and within the art community of metropolitan Boston and beyond.
- Identify and select exhibitors/exhibitions
- Plan and install exhibitions
- Prepare RSM Art Gallery for each installation
- Produce documentation, signage, and promotional materials
- Prepare loan agreements and communicate with Bentley’s insurance agent
- Promote exhibitions via print and social media outlets in coordination with Bentley Library Outreach Team
- Plan receptions, in conjunction with the Library’s administrative assistant and Sodexo
- Oversee exhibition receptions
- Coordinate with Bentley faculty members to structure opportunities for student interaction and conversations
- Monitor gallery conditions throughout the run of the exhibition
- Remove exhibitions and return of materials to artists and lenders
- Assess gallery conditions and the scheduling of maintenance
- Bachelor’s degree in Art History, Curatorial Studies, or related field
- Candidates with an MFA are encouraged to apply
- 3-5 years of experience in museum or gallery curation
- Experience in university setting is preferred
- Knowledge of contemporary national and international art
- Experience in researching, designing and executing exhibitions
- Ability to coordinate events and complex calendars and collaborate with multiple constituencies
- Excellent interpersonal skills, communication skills both written and oral, and organizational skills are required, as is the ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Ability to interact with broad range of individuals (faculty, students, administrators, artists & management, Trustees, donors, vendors)
- The Curator works in collaboration with artists and Bentley staff to provide the intellectual and artistic content of the RSM Art Gallery exhibitions.
- Work is generally performed in a library/gallery environment with frequent interruptions and irregularities in the work schedule.
- Position sometimes requires last-minute schedule changes.
- Ability to lift 25 pounds and work on ladders to install art and arrange lights.
- Reports to the Director of the Bentley University Library
Bentley University requires references checks and may conduct other pre-employment screening.
Bentley University strives to create a campus community that welcomes the exchange of ideas, and fosters a culture that values differences and views them as a strength in our community.
Bentley University is an Equal Opportunity Employer, building strength through diversity. The University is committed to building a community of talented students, faculty and staff who reflect the diversity of global business. We strongly encourage applications from persons from underrepresented groups, individuals with disabilities, covered veterans and those with diverse experiences and backgrounds.
Job Categories: Museum and Gallery. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: art gallery, curator, exhibition, and university. States: Massachusetts.
Please Share the Curator of the RSM Art Gallery, Bentley University Library job: