Cultural Arts Coordinator
City of Evanston→ Evanston, Illinois, United States
Salary Range: $32.78 – $45.89/hour
*Starting salary is dependent upon qualifications, but in most cases is no higher than the midpoint for range.
Scheduled Hours: On average 15 hours per week. Hours vary and may include evening and weekend hours.
NATURE OF WORK:
The person in this position will develop and direct the City’s arts planning process, including policy and program development of City arts grants programs In carrying forth the vision of the City of Evanston, Evanston Arts Council, and Public Art working group, the Coordinator will recognize and support the importance of the arts to the community. The City of Evanston’s Arts Council and Public Art working group provide advocacy for the promotion, development, and accessibility of the arts for all its citizens and create an environment for artistic excellence.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (Specific assignment will include some or all of the following):
- Endeavors to align and integrate the City’s arts activities into the larger Evanston arts eco-system of artists, organizations, civic and business groups.
- Develops creative fundraising, marketing and branding, and heightened levels of regional and national attention to local art scene.
- Communicates to highlight the arts in Evanston via the Arts Council social media channels and webpages
- Fosters the arts in Evanston by developing relationships with artists and arts organizations, connecting arts to each other and to resources, providing opportunities for community-building, networking, and professional development for Evanston artists and art organizations
- Coordinates the annual Bright Night for the Arts celebration
- Researches, identifies and pursues new and alternate public and private funding sources for art programs including, but not limited to, state, federal and private grants and corporate sponsorships.
- Provides timely reporting to federal, state, and other grant agencies.
- Maintains accurate and up-to-date records and files.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS OF WORK:
- Must possess an Associate degree or higher in, Arts Administration or kindred discipline.
- Must possess two (2) or more years of professional administrative experience in one field of the performing or visual arts, and an acquaintance with all the fields in the performing and visual arts.
- Two (2) or more years of grant writing experience preferred.
- Must be willing and able to work evening and weekend hours as needed.
- Must possess Knowledge, skills, and abilities in the following areas:
- Strong working knowledge and experience with community-based arts programs.
- Experience with developing cultural plans and grants/fundraising.
- Excellent verbal, written presentation and interpersonal skills are required, including the ability to deal with occasionally adversarial situation.
- Ability to work effectively in a multi-cultural community.
- Ability to communicate effectively with co-workers, supervisors, citizens and the public as well as other employers; speaking extemporaneously on a variety of subjects.
- Ability to work on multiple tasks at one time, some of which may have conflicting deadlines and/or priorities.
- Considerable knowledge and proficiency with computer software to include, but not limited to, Microsoft Office, Adobe Acrobat, and Google Office.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with a diverse group of customers and staff throughout the city and outside of the organization.
- Ability to multi-task various duties and responsibilities.
- Ability to read, understand and interpret manuals, ordinances, policies and procedures, statutes, rules, regulations, journals, newspapers, memos, letters, reports, financial reports and legal documents.
- Strong attention to detail skills, organizational ability, and punctuality.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OF WORK:
The employee works in a primarily sedentary position, with the occasional need to use force to exert up to 25 pounds to lift, carry or otherwise move objects
The worker is subject to inside environmental conditions, effective protection from the weather conditions but not necessarily from temperature changes.
There are no environmental hazards associated with this classification.
Coordinator serves as staff to the Evanston Arts Council and City of Evanston Public Art working group. The Cultural Arts Coordinator reports to the Assistant to the City Manager who outlines work assignments and reviews work in progress and completed work. Work is evaluated at least annually with respect to progress toward achieving goals, leadership, communication skills, customer service, ability to work productively and effectively with employees at all levels in the organization as well as elected and appointed officials, community groups and the general public. Guidance is provided via the strategic plan, City Code, City policies and procedures, applicable state and federal laws and regulations.
The employee has regular and consistent contact with citizens, service providers, community and other similar groups, as well as the City Council, committees, boards and commissions. The employee has regular contact with employees at all levels within the organization.
To apply for this position, please apply online at www.cityofevanston.org on or before the closing date.
Chosen candidates will be required to provide proof of licenses, certifications, and education required for this position. Candidates will also be subject to qualifying pre-employment processes, including medical examination, drug/alcohol screen, employment verification, and criminal background check.
The City of Evanston is an equal opportunity employer and ensures against discrimination in employment on the basis of a person’s race, color, sex, age, religion, disability, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, military discharge status, source of income, housing status, or gender identity. The City of Evanston is also committed to accessibility for persons with disabilities. Any person needing mobility or communications access assistance should contact Human Resources at 847-448-8204 (voice) or 847-866-5095 (TTY)
City of Evanston
Evanston, Illinois, United States
Job Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Part-Time. Job Tags: arts administration, coordinator, culture, grants, and performing arts. States: Illinois.
Please Share the Cultural Arts Coordinator job: