The Costumes Associate, a new position to TheatreSquared, is a member of the production costume department and will assist the costume shop manager in all aspects of costume design and construction as needed.
This staff member will help with paperwork, fittings, alterations, construction, ordering, shopping, organization, wardrobe, and design as needed.
The ideal candidate will be a team player and be willing to jump onto any costume-related project, at any level.
As a key artist helping create shows that allow audience members to think beyond their lived experiences—and as a positive, collaborative member of an inclusive workforce—this new staff member will help TheatreSquared answer the question, “How can a theatre be an agent of social change—helping foster a community that is fundamentally more equitable?”
- Work with Costume Shop Manager and each production’s Costume Designer to help realize costume designs for all productions and special projects.
- Assist in the preparation and completion of costumes.
- Supervise overhire stitchers as needed.
- Assist or lead fittings as needed.
- Attend rehearsals, dress rehearsals, and preview performances to take costume notes as needed.
- Attend and participate in all costume strikes.
- Assist with maintenance and organization of the costume shop and costume equipment.
- Maintain a safe, healthy, and clean work/shop environment.
- Work with the Costume Shop Manager to maintain costume storage and process costume rentals.
- Attend all staff and costume shop meetings. Attend production meetings as needed.
- Assist with Costume Shop administrative tasks such as scheduling overhire and tracking expenses.
- Reports directly to the Costume Shop Manager and Director of Production.
- Additional Duties
- Position may include wardrobe crew assignments for one or more productions per season under the supervision of the Wardrobe Supervisor.
- Position may include assignment as Costume Designer for one or more productions per season.
- Additional duties as assigned and as schedule allows (i.e. Assist scenery, paints, costumes, lighting, audio, etc.)
TECHNIQUES AND SKILL SETS OFTEN UTILIZED:
- Finishing of costumes
- Costume Crafts
- Multiple years of experience working in a professional costume shop environment or equivalent.
- Some experience in costume design.
- Thorough understanding and experience of construction processes and all the related aspects of the overall theatre production process.
- Basic knowledge of costume history.
- Working knowledge of costume materials including, but not limited to: fabrics, notions, crafts supplies.
- Working knowledge of machinery used in the costume shop including, but not limited to: industrial and domestic sewing machines, steam irons, and cutting tools.
- Basic computer skills.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work with a variety of artists in high pressure situations.
- Ability to work collaboratively with artistic and production staff.
- Must be comfortable working under the following conditions:
- The costume shop generally operates from 9a-5p, Mon-Fri. Ability to work long hours and work with a flexible schedule is necessary. Some evenings and weekends are required.
- May be exposed to noise, vibration, dust, fumes.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Compensation is highly competitive and commensurate with experience. This full-time, non-exempt position is paid hourly with a $30,000-$33,000 expected annual rate, commensurate with experience, with an average of 40 hours per week, and full benefits. These benefits include health; dental; paid time off; relocation assistance; paid parental leave; professional development allowance; employer-sponsored long-term and short-term disability; $100,000 in employer-sponsored term life insurance; and voluntary 401(k) and/or Roth IRA.
To apply, submit a cover letter, employment resume, portfolio/website (if available), and references by visiting theatresquared.bamboohr.com/jobs/ .
TheatreSquared celebrates diversity and commits to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. Our goal is to remove barriers to employment that are faced by racialized groups and encourage applicants of all genders, abilities, and ethnic, socio-economic, religious, and educational backgrounds. TheatreSquared believes that a team with a variety of perspectives and skills is critical to our growth as an organization, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
Please note: All interviews at this time will be held via video service (Google, Zoom, etc.)
ABOUT THEATRESQUARED & NORTHWEST ARKANSAS
TheatreSquared’s signature offering of bold new plays in an intimate setting has driven its growth to become the state’s largest theatre, offering more than 300 performances annually and operating on a $6 million annual budget. The playwright-led company is one of mid-America’s leading laboratories for new work, having launched more than 60 new plays. Its work has received critical acclaim from The New York Times (“Best Theater of 2020” list), The Wall Street Journal (“an outstanding drama company”), NPR’s All Things Considered, and the American Theatre Wing, founder of the Tony Awards.
TheatreSquared’s home—winner of the 2020 American Architecture Award and the AIA NY Honor Award—is a cultural landmark. T2’s hometown of Fayetteville is annually ranked among the top ten US News and World Report “Best Places to Live,” a progressive, bike-friendly, and scenic college community near several Fortune 100 world headquarters. TheatreSquared’s remarkable expansion—with a twentyfold increase in audience in just the past decade— parallels the emergence of its home region as a booming population center and destination for American art.
Offering far-reaching access and education programs and an open-all-day gathering space, TheatreSquared remains rooted in its founding vision, that “theatre—done well and with passion—can transform lives and communities.”
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: theatre. States: Arkansas.
Please Share the Costumes Associate job: