The 5th Avenue theatre is seeking a Company Manager to join its team
About The 5th
The 5th Avenue Theatre is one of America’s leading musical theater companies. We enrich the community we love with the art form we love—giving the Pacific Northwest a front-row seat to original powerhouse productions that go on to light up marquees and audiences all the way to Broadway. From the page to the stage, we bring passion and epic scale to every musical we create. With big talent. Bigger-than-life productions. And did we mention dazzle? As a nonprofit theater company and our region’s largest performing arts employer, we spread the joy of great musicals with people of all ages across our region and state.
Each year, we reach more than 75,000 young people through our nationally acclaimed education programs. Programs designed to develop new musicals ensure that the next generation of great musicals will be there to tell the stories that captivate tomorrow’s audiences. On the national stage, we are a leading voice for the power of this American art form to lift the human spirit.
For more information about the 5th Avenue Theatre, its season and its programs, please visit www.5thavenue.org
The 5th Avenue Theatre and the communities we serve are on the land and waterways of the Coast Salish people who have continuously inhabited our region since time immemorial. They are the original storytellers and theater-makers of this place we call home.
We also acknowledge and honor the Tribal nations across Washington State and the many Indigenous peoples from across the country who also live and work in the Seattle area. As we step into this new period of The 5th’s history, we hope to honor their legacies and bring greater attention to their continuing fight for equity and recognition.
At The 5th Avenue Theatre, we are actively working towards goals as an anti-racist organization, you can learn more about our work and statement here: www.5thavenue.org/about/anti-racism-at-the-5th/
The Company Manager works collaboratively across multiple departments to ensure the wellbeing and care for the entire 5th Avenue community which includes the staff, crew, artists, and visiting tours.
This position manages the administrative and human resources needs that include policy, travel, housing, contracts, benefits, logistics and coordination relating to production, and general business operating support.
Under the guidance of the Director of Human Resources and in collaboration with the Director of Production , the Company Manager is responsible for supporting and maintaining general HR standards, procedures and practices within the organization. The CM will be tasked with creating and maintaining an environment of radical hospitality. Exceptional people, organization and communication skills and flexibility are vital for this position to be effective.
This position will work closely with the Production, New Works and Education Departments to ensure that all travel and housing needs are supported and in compliance with all Union requirements.
We are looking for a candidate who demonstrates outstanding skills that has excellent organizational abilities including attention to detail. The ideal candidate is an enthusiastic team player who has a desire to support a nurturing and caring work environment.
• This role supports The 5th Avenue Theatre’s goals towards being an anti-racist organization and culture and will act as a thought leader in this work
• This role will model behaviors, policies and processes that ensure a safe, brave work environment for all company members.
• To represent The 5th Avenue to Staff, Artists and Visitors with radical hospitality surrounding Artist care, rehearsal and production practices.
• The Company Manager collaborates with Human Resources, Production and Artistic teams on onboarding and working practices for staff, artists and production team. Research, devise, and recommend backstage and artist experience improvements to the Artistic, Human Resources and Production leadership to ensure that The 5th Avenue Theatre continues to provide a positive experience for artists and crews from start to finish.
• Generate, Manage & Approve weekly actor and stage manager payroll. Assist in the accurate tracking of departmental expenses.
• Manage Artist crew on-site experiences at The 5th Avenue theatre, including catering, hospitality, dressing room set-ups, rider fulfillment, special touches to enhance the backstage and artist, crew & staff experience.
• Act as an “Ambassador” to support and welcome touring companies, including hospitality
• Oversee the management & coordination of all travel and housing for visiting artists for all productions & special events
• Curate, Manage & Maintain relationships with local housing & travel vendors
• Manage relationships with outside hospitality related vendors including caterers, florists, etc.
• Process and reconcile department invoices, check requests, credit cards and other expenses.
• Provide on-site day of show artist services support
• Maintain & Coordinate program credits and information as needed
• Complete hiring documents for new hires and submit them in a timely and accurate fashion.
• Manage and track budget lines for rehearsal, hospitality, artist travel and housing.
• Efficiently archive contracts and other show documents.
• Maintain artist database.
• Provide support and hospitality services to staff and artists during rehearsal and tech processes in coordination with the Associate Company Manger and/or Production Assistant(s)
• Order and deliver required meals for staff and artists.
• Coordinate special events such as opening/closing night parties.
• Provide administrative support to the Director of Human Resources
• Maintain accurate and compliant employee records (supporting HR & Payroll Manager)
• Oversee new hire orientations and onboarding as needed (Back up support for HR Director)
• Assist Human Resources with Worker’s Compensation and Disability audits, reports, correspondence and record keeping
• Assist with health insurance and benefits administration including, new enrollment, terminations, open enrollment and communications
• Assist Human Resources in the management of employee wellness, work environment, morale and conflict resolution
• Assist with Job postings, recruitment and interview coordination for administrative staff
• Coordinate wellness initiatives in collaboration with HR and Management teams
• Address local company concerns to/with Director of Human Resources
• Manage the approval of house seats and show-watching requests as needed
• Attend meetings as needed or required
• Familiarity and desire for cross connection within the Seattle Arts Community
• 5 or more years of experience in the entertainment or theatrical industry or related field
• Familiarity and/or working knowledge of Non-Profit or Commercial or Regional or Touring Theatrical productions
• Strong organizational and administrative skills, including experience developing/executing contracts, correspondence, and other documents.
• Outstanding judgment and ability to prioritize varying tasks.
• Experience making travel and/or housing arrangements, including coordinating complex logistics and working within assigned budget
• Skilled in communicating clearly, with tact and discretion, as well as maintaining confidentiality.
• Ability to simultaneously handle multiple projects with attention to detail, work accurately and efficiently and meet deadlines
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Love working with artists
• High level of computer proficiency with knowledge of Outlook, Word and Excel.
• Familiarity with budgets and/or comfortability with finance or basic accounting principles
• Ability to work both independently and in a team environment, and demonstrated good judgment when issues need to be escalated.
• Positive, articulate, outgoing, flexible, calm under pressure, friendly personality; a sense of humor a plus!
• Able to work in an upbeat and often fast-paced environment.
• Valid US Drivers License
• Excellent interpersonal skills, tact, and the ability to successfully interact with all levels of internal and external contacts
• Familiarity with general Human Resources practices/policy is a plus
• Familiarity with Benefits administration is a plus
• Familiarity with COVID-19 Safety standards is a plus
• Regularly operates a computer and other office equipment
• Lift/move up to 10-30 pounds infrequently
• Required to stoop, bend and reach with arms
Schedule: When not in production this position will generally work a Monday through Friday schedule, however during production periods the schedule will be modified and vary, this will include nights, weekends and some holidays. Show & rehearsal coverage responsibilities will be shared with the Assistant Company Manager to allow for overlaps and interaction with cast, crew, artists and performance staff. Given that this position requires employee’s flexibility for Nights, Weekends, Holidays and long hours during production weeks, we encourage a work/life balance and there will be some schedule flexibility to honor and offset hours worked when this additional work is required.
Reports to: Director of Human Resources, with some additional reporting to Director of Production.
Works collaboratively with the Production Administrator and Payroll Manager
This position supervises the Assistant Company Manager
Compensation & Benefits:
The full-time annual salary range will be $55,000 to $60,000 based on experience.
The 5th Avenue offers a comprehensive benefits package which includes 100% Employer covered Medical, Dental & Vision package, Sick, Personal & Vacation time, commuter benefits (Orca Card and reduced-price parking), Life Insurance, AD&D & Long-term Disability Insurance, Flexible Spending or Health Savings Account, Complimentary Tickets, and Company Paid Holidays. 401K retirement plan after eligibility requirement is met.
Application information & Timeline:
Applications from those who have been traditionally underrepresented in the theatrical industry are strongly encouraged. We are striving for our staff to be representative of a diverse and vibrant community that includes multiple identities, perspectives & influences.
To apply, please email a cover letter, resume & 2 references in a single word or PDF attachment by
that explains your qualifications & interest for the position to HumanResources@5thavenue.org.
Please put in Subject line: Company Manager
We are seeking to fill this position immediately. Interviews will be held via zoom and applications will be reviewed until the position has been filled.
A background check will be required prior to offer of position.
The 5th Avenue Theatre is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The 5th Avenue will be requiring Covid-19 Vaccinations for all employees as of October, 4th 2021, with considerations for Medical & Religious exemptions.
Work Location: When not working remotely, the work location is The 5th Avenue Theatre, located in the Skinner Building at 1326 5th Avenue, in downtown Seattle
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: management, manager, and theatre. States: Washington.
Please Share the Company Manager job: