Part-Time Educational Art Technician, Communication Design
The Alberta University of the arts (AUArts) is looking for an organized and skilled Educational Art Technician, Communication Design to provide excellent studio support for faculty and guidance to our students of the School of Communication Design.
This is a permanent part-time position recurring annually for the months of September – April.
Hours of work are 35 hours per week for the eight months worked.
Reporting to the Studio Manager and accountable to the Chair of the School of Communication Design, the Technician provides supervision and oversight of the facility, equipment, processes, software and materials to ensure effective instructional support during class time and ensures standard operating practices are followed to support student studio practice during general facility access hours in studios throughout SCD.
- Conducts demonstrations, training and orientation for faculty, students and staff on standard operating practices for the uses of equipment, processes, software and materials handling, including daily clean-up and equipment/materials storage.
- Advises students with respect to program-related technology, equipment, processes, software and materials to meet curricular objectives.
- Works in consultation with the Health and Safety Team, and Educational Art Technicians to maintain current and consistent documentation of hazard assessments and standard operating practices including studio manuals.
- Maintains equipment inventory, performs preventative maintenance and repair as necessary.
- Maintains materials inventory in consultation with faculty and ensures safe storage and disposal as required.
- Operates and maintains the IOLAB, including operating and maintaining a variety of digital equipment, both hardware and software, in support of curriculum delivery, guest artists, designers and lecturers, and special events of the University.
- Provides open studio access by general supervision or by appointment, coordinates student facility access with Security as appropriate and in compliance with hazard assessments.
- Provides training and orientation for non-credit instructors as required.
- Provides supervision, recruitment support, training, and scheduling to studio assistants as required.
- Prepares invoices for internal billings related to the IOLAB.
- Maintains materials inventory in consultation with faculty and considering current demand.
- Coordinates planning and use of operating and capital budget resources to maintain inventories and ever-greening schedules throughout all SCD studios.
The successful candidate will have:
- Four (4) Year Diploma or Baccalaureate Degree in design with a relevant subject area specialization.
- Minimum of 3-5 years experience as a practicing designer or technician with knowledge of relevant studio practice and experience in training students.
- Experience with photography and photography equipment, print production and or Adobe Suite tutoring an asset
- Current Standard First Aid certification with CPR and Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS 2015) training.
- Demonstrates excellent communication skills and emotional intelligence with ability to provide constructive support, conflict management, guidance and mentorship to students, faculty and staff.
As a member of the AUPE bargaining unit (Local 071/006), this permanent part-time position falls under a Classification 7 (Seven). The starting annual salary is $59,244 – $65,679 dependent upon skills, education and experience.
How to Apply
Applications must include the following in a SINGLE PDF DOCUMENT:
Curriculum Vitae / Resume
You will be required to create an account in order to submit your application.
Please visit our How to Apply page to ensure your application is complete prior to submission.
Review of applications will continue until the position is filled or the search is closed. While we thank all candidates for their interest, only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Alberta University of the Arts (AUArts) is a community of thinkers, shapers, makers and risk takers. We are students, faculty, staff and alumni rich in diversity of culture and thought, challenged to fearlessly explore what moves us, drives us, and implores us to see the world differently.
AUArts offers its 1,100 students studio-based programming that leads to a Bachelor of Fine Arts in one of nine disciplines, a Bachelor of Design in one of two, and an MFA in Craft Media. It has deep roots in Calgary’s creative community and will soon be celebrating its centennial.
AUArts is an equal opportunity employer and is strongly committed to fostering diversity within our community. We welcome those who would contribute to the further diversity of the university. We encourage expressions of interest from all qualified applicants for consideration for this or other suitable vacancies although applications from Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given priority.
The collection of personal information is for the purpose of determining eligibility and suitability for employment as authorized by the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIP) Act, section 33(c). If you have any questions about the collection of your information, please contact our FOIP Coordinator at email@example.com.
Job Categories: Education. Job Types: Part-Time. Job Tags: arts education, Canada, communication, design, school, and university. States: >> Canada.
Please Share the Educational Art Technician, Communication Design job: