New Dramatists seeks a full-time Business Manager, who will manage the day-to-day finance and administrative needs of the organization. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Business Manager will handle bookkeeping, financial reporting, event coordination, payroll and HR management, and act as a primary liaison for vendors and important external constituents. If you are aligned with New Dramatists’ mission and management ethos, including a commitment to artist development, valuing community support, and upholding best practices in finance, administration, and HR management, we invite you to put yourself forward as a potential team member. You’ll join a dynamic, talented, and committed staff, who cooperatively manage New Dramatists’ programming, writer community, our physical site, and the org’s general operations.
The successful candidate will be a skilled and thoughtful communicator, who is able to explain financial information and HR requirements with clarity, patience, and compassion. The candidate will excel at detail-oriented work, will drive projects independently with minimal supervision, and will be comfortable representing New Dramatists within our community, and in the field at large.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Daily bookkeeping, accounts payable and receivable, annual audit support, and general financial management;
- Developing project budgets and financial reports, and reporting on cashflow and YTD income/expenditures;
- HR management, including payroll, employee benefits, recordkeeping, and employee relations;
- Events coordination, including line producing special event activities;
- Other business administration such as charities registration, staffing board committees, assisting with facilities management, and misc. administrative tasks.
Knowledge, Skills, and Qualifications:
- Three to five years of work experience is required, with a strong preference for experience in the performing arts or a nonprofit environment. Demonstrated experience in business and financial management is a plus.
- Experience with Human Resource management, payroll, and employee benefits management is also a plus.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are essential, along with the ability to work independently, and evidence of solid judgement.
- Proficiency in Excel and MS Word are required; high level of comfort with other MS Office apps and Adobe apps are preferred.
- Prior experience with finance software is preferred, especially with QuickBooks (online), prior experience with PatronManager (Salesforce) is a plus.
- Experience with artist development and new work development carries particular weight.
- New Dramatists employees are required to be up to date on COVID vaccinations, in order to report to work in-person.
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? If you believe that you could excel in this role, we encourage you to apply.
We are dedicated to considering a broad array of candidates, including those with diverse workplace experiences and backgrounds. If this role and New Dramatists captures your attention, we encourage you to introduce yourself to us.
Please email a PDF of a cover letter and resume to Christie Brown, Executive Director, at email@example.com.
Applications received by 6:00pm ET on September 18, 2023, will receive preferred consideration.
Compensation and Benefits
Annual salary of $52,000 – $54,000, commensurate with experience, for this full-time, salaried, non-exempt position (according to the Fair Labor Standards Act).
New Dramatists offers a competitive suite of generous benefits for full-time employees, including:
- Employer-paid individual health insurance;
- 20 paid accrued vacation days, 12 paid holidays/personal days, additional paid banks of accrued sick leave, COVID leave, and other paid days off;
- 8 weeks of paid infant care leave for qualifying employees;
- Employer contributions to an FSA medical spending account;
- Participation in TransitChek parking and transit programs;
- Participation in a 403b retirement plan;
- Employer-paid standard short-term disability/family leave insurance;
- Employer-paid supplemental short-term and long-term disability, life, and vision insurance.
New Dramatists employees presently work a hybrid schedule, with the expectation of in-person work at least 3 days per week. Full-time employees are also required to staff various in-person programming and fundraising events throughout the year. Employees are expected to provide their own computer and internet access for weekly remote work.
All ND staff assist with programming activity and help steward our century-old building. This includes in-person program coverage and light general maintenance. Physical activities include climbing stairs; general filing work; transporting file boxes, chairs, and tables; setup/breakdown of meeting spaces, etc.
About New Dramatists
New Dramatists is a nationally recognized playwright center and new play laboratory. Our mission is to provide playwrights with time, space, and resources in the company of gifted peers to create work, realize their artistic potential, and make lasting contributions to the theatre. In the 74 years since our founding, over 700 new dramatists have passed through our doors, and their works are part of the foundation of contemporary American dramatic literature (for information on our resident writer and alumni companies, visit newdramatists.org). New Dramatists itself received a Ross Wetzsteon Award for excellence at the 2005 Obies, and a 2001 Tony® Honor for “blessing the future of the American Theatre.”
New Dramatists deeply values inclusion in the workplace and is committed to diversity across our organization. Our ability to embrace and celebrate each person’s unique contributions to New Dramatists makes us a stronger, more progressive institution and community. Individuals from underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
New Dramatists is committed to equal employment opportunity and does not discriminate in hiring or other aspects of employment based on gender, race, age, sex, religion, ethnicity, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other protected category as established by applicable law, including the New York City Human Rights Law (“NYCHRL”).
In addition, New Dramatists will consider requests for reasonable accommodation related to the application process and the performance of job duties in accordance with applicable law.
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: administration, finance, human resources, manager, and performing arts. States: New York.