Contract Ballet Director/Ballet and Contemporary Dance Instructor
The San Angelo Broadway Academy Youth Theatre, located in San Angelo Texas, is seeking a ballet director for the upcoming 2020 season for students primarily ages 5-18.
SABA ballet director teaches all ballet levels (excluding pre-school combo classes and creative movement) as well as all levels of contemporary and pointe. This position is also on faculty for Continuum Dance Company, providing company technique classes, strength and conditioning classes, and choreography for solo, duets/trios, and groups for competition season. SABA dance instructors also serve as subs when other instructors are out. SABA dance instructors can offer private lessons to enrolled students as well as summer programming for dancers.
Duration: Offered on a 3-year contract with the first year being probationary
Location: San Angelo Broadway Academy, San Angelo Texas
Hours: This is a part time/ contractual position, Monday-Saturdays (classes begin at 4pm daily and Saturdays are held for company rehearsals that individual instructors set). Private lessons are scheduled by the instructors along with optional summer classes.
Holidays: San Angelo Broadway Academy follows the San Angelo Independent School District calendar for all holidays. Within the organization, winter break is held for 4 weeks between mid-December and mid-January as well as summer break between mid-May and mid-August (please note that company rehearsals can take place during these times, as well as summer Nationals each July).
Salary: $18-$25 an hour commensurate on level of education and teaching experience.
ESSENTIAL POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES
San Angelo Broadway Academy is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all students. All SABA faculty are expected to adhere to and support the San Angelo Broadway Academy’s policies regarding disciplinary action as well as child health and safety policies.
- Structure and teach ballet classes following the school’s recommended curriculum at a professional level. This includes level-appropriate classroom technical instruction as well as mentoring students in the artistic, musical and psychological demands needed for dance while focusing on maintaining proper discipline in the studio (class etiquette, dress code, etc.)
- Maintain appropriate staff/student relationships
- Create a warm, caring, and inspirational classroom environment
- Record and report on student attendance; relay concerns to the Executive Director
- Choreograph age appropriate routines and rehearse students in all aspects of Spring recital performances
- Meets with parents and provide feedback and assistance as needed.
- Monitors students’ progress on a daily basis, and reports issues to the Executive Director as needed.
- Participate in the audition selection process for Continuum Dance Company
- Prepare, train, choreograph, and rehearse Company kids for competition
- Travel to both regional and national dance competitions (paid by Company)
- Coordinate with Company faculty for rehearsal schedules
- Provide annual evaluation to each Company member at the end of each dance year
- Attends staff meetings and participates in continuing education activities as schedules allow
- Other reasonable duties may be required that fall within the scope and range of the job
Qualifications and Competencies
- At least 5 years of teaching experience in the field of classical ballet and contemporary dance to children ages 5-18 (Pedagogical training such as a degree or professional certifications preferred). Multiple styles are a plus, however this position is ballet/contemporary focused
- Highly organized, team oriented, and client focused
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, able to build good supportive relationships with students, colleagues, and the wider dance community
- Collaborative work style paired with the ability to take initiative
- Flexible attitude towards duties and working patterns in order to fulfill the requirements of the role
- Ability to manage the studio autonomously when needed
- Displays and upholds the mission statement and values of San Angelo Broadway Academy
- High professional and personal standards of work and conduct
- Professional performing experience in ballet/contemporary preferred
- Prepare and teach fun, energetic, and professional style classes in ballet and contemporary
- Plan, prepare and deliver lesson plans
- Choreograph for competition teams as needed
- Explain and demonstrate proper dance technique at age appropriate/technical levels
- Ability to connect and capture students’ attention, deliver information clearly, concisely and effectively.
- Establish and communicate clear objectives
- Create choreography for classes and performances
- Maintain student attendance records
- Participation in staff meetings
- Lead staff meetings on dance initiatives
- Participation at Recitals and Events
- Give constructive criticism and feedback when needed
- Create a welcoming, healthy and safe learning environment for all students to grow and learn by setting class-based rules and boundaries that are centered on mutual respect and understanding of our core values
- Collaboration with other members of the faculty and staff
- Effective and timely communication in person and through email with staff
- Support school-wide programs
- Work reflectively to set goals, receive constructive feedback and try new strategies to improve student achievement
Demonstrates dance moves, styles, musicality and dynamics
Studio audio-visual cart (for music and video)
- Must pass background check
- Basic knowledge of MS Office products
- Ability to produce concise written reports for parent and student communication
- First aid qualification or willingness to attend training
The San Angelo Broadway Academy Youth Theatre is a non-profit educational program that has been providing San Angelo and the surrounding areas with the professional performing arts programs in music, theatre, and dance education for the past 14 years. The program as a whole, currently serves over 700 students per year across all programs. The dance division at SABA served over 240 students during the 2019-2020 school year offering over 25 dance classes a week. The program also houses San Angelo’s first competitive dance team, Continuum Dance Company founded in 2012. The team holds numerous regional and national championships, faculty has been awarded top choreography awards, and the Company has been awarded top studio awards for professionalism.
Benefits of Working with San Angelo Broadway Academy
- You are paid whether or not your students attend each lesson
- Professional teaching environment and support from other faculty members and staff
- Administrative Staff to handle scheduling, issues, payments so you focus only on your lessons!
- Additional opportunities to work summer dance programs, musical theatre camps, design new dance programs, attend teacher training and workshops, and much more
- SABA has a strong community-based culture
To be considered for an interview, interested applicants should email their Resume and Cover Letter to email@example.com,
subject line: Ballet Director.
Facebook messages regarding the position will not be accepted.
Job Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Contract. Job Tags: arts education, ballet, dance, director, instructor, and teaching. States: Texas.
Please Share the Ballet Director/Ballet and Contemporary Dance Instructor job: