Full-Time Associate Director of Drama
Under the leadership of the Dean and Director of Drama, the Associate Director is a partner in the long-range planning and day-to-day artistic and academic operations of the Drama Division.
This is a full-time position which includes mentoring students and teaching classes and/or directing projects.
• Works with the Dean and Director of the Division to frame the goals and values of the division and plan and implement new initiatives
• Works with the Dean and Director in curriculum development
• Advises and supports students regarding academic and artistic progress and professional practice
• Participates as a partner in selecting plays, casting projects, planning the season calendar, identifying project directors and designers, and meeting with guest artists to communicate the goals and practices of the division
• Visits rehearsals/run-throughs to monitor progress of the work in all four years of training
• Teaches in the division and/or directs projects
• Participates in all faculty meetings with an eye to the students’ overall progress
• Assists in the review of faculty and guest faculty syllabi to ensure they align with curricular goals
• Participates in the audition process and works with the Managing Director in the shaping of recruitment efforts
• Participates in donor and alumni cultivation activities, including preparing students for performances in such events, and may be asked to represent the division in these and other forums
• Participates in the administration of the Teacher Development Fellowship Program and serves as a mentor for fellows, as appropriate
• Helps prepare selected students for division-sponsored scholarship and prize applications, vetting essays, writing recommendations, and coordinating preparation of performance materials
This description provides the key responsibilities and requirements of the position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities. Other duties may be assigned as needed to meet The Juilliard School’s goals.
• 5+ years of experience in the field of theater as an actor or director
• Experience teaching in higher education
• Commitment to the principles of equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging and experience with the application of these principles in a diverse community
• Ability to support both college-age and graduate level students
• Capacity to engage in confidential conversations with sensitivity
• Willingness to work evening hours
• Possession of a spirit of generosity and commitment to artistic integrity and student development
• A Bachelor and Master’s degree, or the equivalent professional experience
Please submit a curriculum vitae and cover letter describing how your background and experience align with the position. Also give a brief sense of the ethos you would bring to the division as a teacher/director and academic leader.
How to Apply
Apply online at www.juilliard.edu/jobs
Job Id: 561
The Juilliard School is committed to providing a safe and productive learning and working environment. Therefore, employment with Juilliard is contingent upon satisfactory completion of a background investigation.
Job Categories: Education. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: arts education, director, non-profit, performing arts, school, and teaching. States: New York.
Please Share the Associate Director of Drama job: