Full-Time Assistant Technical Director
Assistant Technical Director
Adelphi University, New York, is a highly awarded, nationally ranked, powerfully connected doctoral research university dedicated to transforming students’ lives through small classes with world-class faculty, hands-on learning and innovative ways to support academic and career success. Adelphi offers exceptional liberal arts and sciences programs and professional training, with particular strength in our Core Four—Arts and Humanities, STEM and Social Sciences, the Business and Education Professions, and Health and Wellness. Recognized as a Best College by U.S. News & World Report, Adelphi is Long Island’s oldest private coeducational university, serving more than 8,100 students at its beautiful main campus in Garden City, at learning hubs in Manhattan, the Hudson Valley and Suffolk County, and online. The University offers students more than 50 undergraduate majors and 70 graduate programs in the liberal arts, the sciences and professional training. With powerful partnerships throughout the New York area, more than 115,000 graduates across the country, a growing enrollment of students from 41 states and 58 countries, and rising rankings from top publications and organizations, Adelphi is a dynamic community that plays a leadership role on Long Island and in the region.
Responsible for mentorship of Design/Technology students, production management, and supervision and oversight of professional and safe standards of production practice for Department of Theatre productions.
REPORT TO: Chair, Department of Theatre
RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES:
• Mentor Design/Technology majors and minors for Department of Theatre productions in conjunction with Design Faculty and production staff.
• Uphold the production guidelines as listed in the Department of Theatre Handbook regarding: Crew assignments (Acting majors and minors); Production assignments (Design/Technology majors and minors); Production Etiquette.
• Schedule design/tech meetings and pre-production meetings and facilitate/mentor as needed for student designers and directors.
• Evaluate student work as it relates to the “Research, Rehearsal and Production” course, and any additional required or elective coursework.
• Attend all staff meetings and faculty meetings as needed.
• Schedule all PAC spaces in the jurisdiction of the Theatre department (rehearsal room, black box, Olmsted Theatre and Multi-purpose room) for classes, rehearsals, departmental projects (directing scenes, capstones, student-oriented events) and other events as sanctioned by the chair. Additionally, schedule space for production load-ins, auditions and performances. Reaffirm guidelines as noted in the Handbook and follow up with those who’ve signed out space who did not restore it appropriately.
• Maintain production budgets for Theatre Department Productions, and distribute/monitor/manage cash advances and receipt return to student, and guest designers.
• Participate in tracking tech hours requirements for Department of Theatre students.
• Provide hands-on support to production as needed to support student mentorship.
• Alternate supervision of technical rehearsals and production performances with Technical Director. Be on call for any emergencies that occur during the run of show.
• Serve as the primary contact for prop rentals maintenance and organization of prop storage and prop borrowing by Department of Theatre students.
• Foster and maintain a positive attitude and working environment, modeling and encouraging professional behavior and respectful discourse among co-workers and students.
• Supervision of students working on productions (load-in, strikes and builds)
• Work on general maintenance of scene shop and building.
• Helping to draft out scenic elements.
• Help manage scene shop – including monitoring and working with students in the scene shop.
• Be available for all crew calls, spacing rehearsals, tech rehearsals and dress rehearsals and strikes as needed.
• Help to maintain the safety standards of the scene shop and ensure that the students are following safety protocols that are set up by the department and university including training students in safety procedures and proper use of equipment.
• Perform other duties as assigned by the Chair, Department of Theatre.
• Strong leadership and management skills.
• Ability to be organized and pay attention to detail, multi-task, and maintain a positive attitude in high stress situations.
• Ability to prioritize workload among academic, production, and departmental missions.
• Ability to teach, to inspire, and to motivate student crews and workers, and to apply consistent standards of grading and production practice.
• Ability and commitment to modeling professional behavior.
• Working knowledge of theatrical carpentry, lighting equipment and practices, sound and rigging systems, and troubleshooting and equipment maintenance skills.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, and computer-aided drafting programs (either AutoCAD or VectorWorks).
• Ability to lift minimum of 50 pounds.
• Ability to climb ladders and use mechanical lifts.
• BA / BFA Design or Technical Theatre (or equivalent academic degree) plus 2-4 years prior related experience.
To apply, visit https://apptrkr.com/1493950
Copyright ©2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
jeid-2dbfa29b29b317499f55ff06155162d8Job Categories: Education. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: assistant, director, education, technical, theatre, and university. States: New York.
Please Share the Assistant Technical Director job: