Full-Time Assistant Technical Director
ZACH Theatre believes that diverse ideas, cultures, and traditions reflect our community and enhance our insights into the work we present on stage. We are committed to diversity and inclusivity in all areas of our work, including play selection, casting, marketing and public relations efforts, education programs, strategic recruitment of staff, artisans, technicians, and volunteers, and the composition of the Board of Trustees.
The Assistant Technical Director is expected to assist in the drafting, budgeting, preparation, and assembly of all ZACH productions and projects as assigned by the Technical Director.
- Maintain a safety oriented work environment and practice while cultivating safe work practices in the shop and theaters during load-in, strike, and day-to-day operations
- Assists in the accurate budgeting of materials and labor for each ZACH production as directed by the TD based on Scenic Drawings and Renderings, including preparation of budget templates and build, load-in, and strike schedules.
- Responsible for producing AutoCAD Drawings as outlined by the TD’s production timeline
- Assists in the acquisition of materials and special order products or equipment with ample lead time on both ZACH production and various special projects as directed by the TD
- Facilitate clear and effective communication between the TD and Shop Foreman, ensuring the Foreman has an understanding of the full design and the scope of each project, through various modes of communication: drawings, written, and verbal.
- Responsible for receipt processing and data entry while maintaining both physical and digital receipt archives
- Assist with planning and follow through of scene shop and facilities improvements for the production department and special projects for productions as assigned by the TD
- Act as Technical Director in the absence of the Technical Director; to include, but not limited to, attending Design and Production Meetings, Technical and Dress Rehearsal, and other meetings/events as directed by the Technical Director or Director of Production.
- Demonstrated knowledge of drafting standards, primarily AutoCAD
- Demonstrated knowledge of standard theatrical construction methods, materials, and equipment
- Demonstrated planning and organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently or as part of a team
- Demonstrated knowledge of theatre history
- Demonstrated attention to detail and accuracy in typing, proofing, and drawing materials
- Working knowledge of lighting, scenery, and sound design
- Working knowledge of AC and DC power supplies including single and three phase
- Working knowledge of automation equipment, specifically with Creative Conners equipment
- General knowledge of theatrical rigging and counterweight fly systems
- Regularly attend Technical and Dress Rehearsals in conjunction with/in place of the Technical Director
- Special Events: Works with Development, Director of Production and the Artistic Director in the scheduling, logistics and technical requirements of company events program
- Rental Program: Support technical needs of the facility rental
- All work is performed with a direct reflection of the Mission, Vision and Values of ZACH Theatre
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Ability to lift, push, pull or otherwise maneuver up to 70 lbs repeatedly, either alone or with assistance.
- Comfortable working on ladders, mechanical lifts or other high places.
- Comfortable working in confined spaces.
- May be required to work nights and weekends.
- Comfortable with mechanics and automation.
EDUCATION, LICENSURE, CERTIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- MFA or BFA in Technical Direction or a combination of education and work experience that yields the required skills and abilities
- Valid Driver’s License
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to produce construction drawings, from concept to shop floor, using both 2D and 3D AutoCAD drafting techniques
- Ability to project material and labor costs for scenic units
- Ability to set priorities, meet deadlines, manage personnel and projects, and multitask
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing
- Ability to interact with all levels of the organization
- Ability to navigate the internet and source unique materials and equipment from a variety of vendors
- Working knowledge of MS Office including MS Word, Excel, Power Point, and Outlook
- Familiarity with concepts of structural design, geometry, algebra and trigonometry.
- A demonstrated knowledge of stage operations.
- Working knowledge of special effects and how they are achieved
- Willingness to operate the shop Panel/Cargo Van and other large vehicles as necessary
- Willingness to safely operate forklift per ZACH protocol after in-house certification
- Ability/willingness to operate box trucks up to 26’ long.
How to Apply
Qualified applicants should submit resume and work samples to email@example.com
No phone calls please.
Apply for this Job