Assistant Professor, Theater History and Culture
Southern Illinois University Carbondale→ Carbondale, Illinois, United States
The School of Theater and Dance at Southern Illinois University Carbondale seeks applicants for Assistant Professor, Theater History and Culture.
This will be a tenure track faculty appointment starting August 16, 2023.
The School of Theater and Dance fosters scholarship, experience, and creativity, offering a blend of academic work, production experience and creative thinking to prepare students for a productive and successful life in Theater. The School combines the advantages of a large research University experience with the excitement of a fully-functioning theater production company. With a core faculty of working professionals and scholars, the school awards degrees at all levels of academic higher education, including BA, BFA, MFA and PhD.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Teach three courses per semester, assigned from the following areas: undergraduate Introduction to Theater courses for the major and/or non-major, Theater History courses for the major and/or non-major, as well as other areas such as Research Studies, Dramatic Criticism, Performance Theory, Dramaturgy, and Topical Seminars in area of expertise.
- Coordinate and supervise GA instruction for Theater 101.
- Mentor and Coach graduate students in their MFA Thesis writing.
- Recruit and mentor Doctoral students.
- Serve as Dramaturg for School of Theater and Dance productions.
- Serve on School of Theater and Dance committees as assigned.
- PhD or DFA in Theater or a related field with specialization in Theater History, Dramatic Criticism, Performance Studies, and/or Dramaturgy from an accredited college or university by time of appointment.
- Demonstrated experience in teaching Introduction to Theater and/or Theater History courses to undergraduates.
- Demonstrated interest and experience in scholarship or pedagogy that promotes equity, diversity, and inclusion.
- Demonstrated experience working with non-majors.
- Demonstrated experience working with students at different skill and developmental levels.
- Demonstrated experience working effectively with students, public, and University community with an appreciation for cultural and group differences.
- Demonstrated experience in teaching and working collaboratively in an active undergraduate and/or graduate theater program or other comparable professional venue.
- Demonstrated evidence of research interests involving a global perspective.
- Directing experience obtained through coursework or work experience in an academic or professional environment.
- Experience in New Play Development obtained through coursework or work experience in an academic or professional environment.
- Experience in coordinating multiple sections of undergraduate Introduction to Theatre courses for the major and non-major.
- Experience working in professional theater.
- Experience in teaching or scholarship with interdisciplinary writing such as adaptation, translation, public-facing criticism, etc.
General Information – College/Department:
The College of Arts and Media houses six schools: Architecture, Art and Design, Journalism and Advertising, Media Arts, Music, Theater and Dance. The breadth of programs offered in the college provides a rich environment for interdisciplinary collaborative scholarly and creative research .
Southern Illinois University Carbondale is a Carnegie Doctoral Research University with an enrollment of approximately 11,000 students, and is located in the forested areas of Shawnee Hills, 100 miles southeast of St. Louis, MO. The university is known for its efforts in improving opportunity, inclusivity, sustainability and the ecological beauty of the campus and surrounding community. Information about the School of Theater and Dance can be found at: theateranddance.siu.edu. More information about SIU and its surrounding community can be found at: siu.edu/about-siu/
Southern Illinois University Carbondale
Carbondale, Illinois, United States
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: arts education, assistant professor, culture, history, teaching, and university. States: Illinois.
Please Share the Assistant Professor, Theater History and Culture job: