Assistant Professor of Theatre
Assistant Professor of Theatre
Randolph-Macon College invites applications for a full-time tenure-track position of Assistant Professor of Theatre in the Department of Arts to begin September 1, 2023.
Randolph-Macon College, founded in 1830, is a selective, primarily residential liberal arts college with an enrollment of 1500 students located in the northern suburbs of Richmond, Virginia. It is 90 miles south of Washington, DC and 15 miles north of Richmond. The College seeks employees committed to advancing inclusion and equity and to cultivating a community that welcomes all people, regardless of race, gender, disability, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, or gender expression. Of special interest are candidates who can further the College’s efforts to foster diversity, equity, and inclusion.
The growing Theatre Program at Randolph-Macon College—recently relocated to newly constructed, state-of-the-art facilities—emphasizes a balance between history, literature, theory, and creating for the stage. Students participate directly in collaborative theatre-making practices, with numerous opportunities for hands-on experiential learning, in an environment that nurtures creativity. Students also learn the value of how these tools can complement a wide variety of professions and industries.
Randolph-Macon College faculty teach, advise, conduct research and engage in scholarship, and serve the college and department. Primary teaching responsibilities will include both directing and staging department productions, as well as teaching courses in acting, directing, and the general education curriculum.
- MFA or PhD in Theatre (or a related field); we will consider candidates who have achieved ABD status and who will complete their degree by August 1, 2023;
- Prior experience in professional theatre
- Demonstrated effectiveness in teaching
- Evidence of a commitment to undergraduate teaching and student engagement
- Experience working with people from diverse backgrounds and a demonstrated commitment to pedagogical methods that enable students across racial, ethnic, and socio-economic groups to reach their maximum potential.
- Experience building, developing, and maintaining a college theatre program
- Experience and training in one or more of the following: music theatre, theatre history, playwriting, and production.
- Evidence of research or scholarly activity in the candidate’s specialty (i.e., a record of publication and/or presentation)
To apply, please send the following as a single pdf to Sabrina Granderson, Administrative Services Coordinator, at email@example.com no later than Dec. 5 with Assistant Professor of Theatre as the subject line.
The documents that must be uploaded include the following:
- Letter of application that addresses the position qualifications
- Curriculum vitae
- A brief (one page) statement of teaching philosophy
- A brief (one page) statement of research interests
- A brief (one page) statement describing past, present, and future (planned) contributions to equity, diversity, and inclusion
- Transcripts (scanned copies acceptable); and
- The names and contact information for three professional references (at least one must be able to address teaching experience and teaching effectiveness; please indicate the teaching reference in your letter of application). Please do not ask references to submit letters of recommendation; the committee will conduct reference checks by phone.
For full consideration, applications must be received by December 5. While applications may be accepted after this date, it is not guaranteed that they will be considered. At this time, please only upload the required documents listed above; at a later date, finalists will be asked to submit an additional digital portfolio of recent work.
Incomplete applications will not be considered by the search committee.
Randolph-Macon College does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, disability, or veteran status in its education or employment programs or activities.
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: arts education, assistant professor, performing arts, and teaching. States: Virginia.
Please Share the Assistant Professor of Theatre job: