Assistant/Associate Professor of Theatre→ West Palm Beach, Florida, United States
Palm Beach Atlantic University (PBA), a private Christian institution located in West Palm Beach, Florida, seeks an inspiring Assistant/Associate Professor of Theatre.
The entrepreneurial candidate will further enhance the excellence and vitality of the Department of Theatre in accordance with the University mission and have expertise in at least three of the following technical theatre areas; lighting design, lighting production, scenic design, stage management, stagecraft, properties, audio/visual and overall technical theatre.
This program of study is located in the College of the Arts, which includes Cinema, Communication, Dance, Digital Media, Gaming and Interactive Design, Graphic Design, Journalism, Music, Public Relations, Sports Broadcasting, Visual Art, and the Preparatory Department, a non-academic initiative offering K-12 instruction in music, dance, and children’s theatre.
Typical teaching load is four courses each semester and this position reports to the Chair of the Department of Theatre. Rank is commensurate with credentials and experience.
- An earned M.F.A. in Theatre or commensurate professional experience
- Record of successful teaching, service, and scholarly/creative activity appropriate to rank of Assistant or Associate Professor
- Demonstrated excellence in interpersonal and communication skills, as well as conflict resolution
- Commitment to shared governance and consensus building within a university setting
- Experience with and commitment to building community across and with programs, departments and schools
- An earned Ph.D. or M.F.A. in Theatre
- Professional theatre production experience
- Knowledge of, and experience with, theatrical lighting production and/or design
- Demonstrable history of leading technical theatre crews
Summary of Job Duties
- According to expertise, primary focus in theatre coursework. Courses taught may include, Lighting and Sound Production, Principles of Design, Stage Management, and Participation in Production among others
- In collaboration with Artistic Director, Technical Director, and Production Manager, the position will lead staff and student production crews
- Participate in University service, recruitment, faculty development programs, and student advising
- Contribute to scholarly and/or proprietary creative activity
- Integrate Christian faith and pedagogy
- Other duties as assigned by the Dean
The successful candidate will possess the soft skills and hard standards to work effectively with an increasingly diverse array of students and colleagues and will have a demonstrated commitment to creating, fostering and sustaining a culture that celebrates entrepreneurship, innovation, and collaboration in and out of the classroom. This person will excel in attention to detail, effective oral and written communication, consensus building, creative problem solving, professionalism, and intrinsic work ethic. The self-motivated person will bring the inspiration and enthusiasm required to advance creative momentum, ensuring the Department’s achievements are broadcast widely and strategically.
The Department of Theatre offers B.A. and B.F.A. degrees and produces up to five mainstage productions and three children’s theatre productions annually. The department employs numerous staff, full-time and adjunct faculty, and regularly works with professional guest artists and designers as well as frequently partnering with the Kravis Center for Performing Arts for National Tour workshops and guest speakers. Positioned in the College of the Arts, the theatre program is housed in the Fern Street Theatre located in West Palm Beach’s Rosemary Square.v
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: assistant professor, associate, education, lighting, performing arts, Stage Management, teaching, and technical theatre. States: Florida.