Artistic and Music Operations Manager
Artistic and Music Operations Manager
Reports to the Managing Director, Artistic & Production, Opera San José, San Jose, California
The Artistic and Music Operations Manager is responsible for the administration and organization of Artistic and Music activities at Opera San José. Working closely with the Managing Director, Artistic & Production, this is a highly hands-on and artist-facing position that is perfect for a systems and detail-oriented person with strong
interpersonal skills and enthusiasm and love for people and opera.
- Manage cover, chorus, supernumerary, and dancer casting, offers, and contract administration, adhering to the approved Artistic budget. Support the Managing Director in resident and principal guest artist contract administration.
- Organize all artist casting auditions (including principal, comprimario, and chorus auditions), including the posting and announcement of auditions, scheduling of artists, and staffing of audition monitors and pianists.
- Prepare artist payroll for all performing artists, including supporting work time tracking for hourly artist personnel. Process payments and reimbursements included in contractual agreements. Track and reconcile all Artistic payroll and payment submissions.
- Manage artist hospitality including the preparation of artist apartments, coordinating with facilities for any maintenance needs, and collaborating with OSJ’s volunteer organization for rehearsal and theater hospitality provisions.
- Oversee artist release requests, including the documentation & organization of an up-to-date database of approved releases.
- Manage administrative duties for the Music department, including keyboard instrument moves and tunings, score purchasing, licensing and rights agreements, and instrument rentals. Coordinate and distribute all cut lists. Work closely with the Orchestra Librarian to ensure all scores across a production are compatible and
- Oversee all aspects of bilingual supertitles for all productions, including securing rental or creation of materials, and hiring for the supertitles operator position.
- Maintain and communicate up-to-date cast lists and cast change announcements, and collect and supply artistic bios, headshots and credits for project playbills and press releases. Assist in proofing all marketing and communications materials with Artistic information.
- Collaborate with Managing Director and Production Manager to spearhead organized and timely communications to artists and staff about artistic programs and activities.
- Support administrative duties for the Orchestra, including preparing annual orchestra contracts, preparing orchestra schedules in collaboration with the Music Director, and working closely with the Orchestra Personnel Manager.
- Coordinate complimentary and discount tickets to performances and final dress rehearsals for artistic, production, and industry personnel.
- Working closely with the Managing Director, Artistic and Production, support artistic planning in the creation of artistic and music budget models.
- Assist in event creation, execution, programming and staffing of outreach, development, and community events.
- Coordinate the creation and communication of pit plots between Conductors and Production. Manage orchestra rehearsal and theatre pit setup.
- Other duties as assigned.
Requirements for Consideration
- BA degree or equivalent preferred
- 2+ years of relevant work experience, preferably in a performance arts organization
- Ability to interact and communicate well with people of various backgrounds
- Ability to manage multiple projects independently and simultaneously in a busy environment
- Proficient with office software such as Excel, Word, and Adobe Acrobat
- Excellent judgment, discretion and integrity under stressful circumstances
- Detailed knowledge of opera and ability to read music is essential
- Ability to work evening and weekend hours
Opera San José offers competitive wages for its industry and location. This position is classified as full-time exempt with a salary range of $65,000 to $70,000 depending on expertise and experience. This position would be eligible for company benefits, which currently include paid-time-off, medical/dental/vision insurance plans,
flexible spending accounts, and pre-tax savings program. Benefits may change from time to time as Management determines.
Work Location & Schedule
Work is required primarily on-site in order to interface with team members and artists. The principal work location is Opera San José’s main office at 2149 Paragon Drive, San Jose CA, and the California Theatre in downtown San Jose when in production. Regular business hours are Monday to Friday, 9am – 5pm with evening and weekend work during seasonal high-volume periods. The ideal candidate for this role must live or be willing to live in the San Jose/Bay Area.
• In order to ensure a healthy and safe work environment, Opera San José is requiring all employees to be fully vaccinated, including subsequent boosters, and provide proof of their COVID-19 vaccine status before their start date. Employees who cannot receive the vaccine because of a disability/medical condition or sincerely-held religious belief may request an accommodation (e.g., an exemption) to this requirement.
• Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
• Ability to transport and set up keyboards and other musical equipment.
Opera San José, in desiring a more equitable world, is committed to fostering equity in our art form. Opera in the twenty-first century can and should demonstrate today’s values of equity and inclusion. We believe in building, fostering and sustaining a company that reflects, celebrates and serves the diverse communities of the
Bay Area. Opera San José cultivates a work environment that encourages fairness, teamwork and respect among all employees. We are firmly committed to maintaining a work atmosphere in which people of diverse backgrounds may grow personally and professionally.
Opera San José is an equal opportunity employer. It is our strong belief that equal opportunity for all employees is central to the continuing success of our organization. We will not discriminate against an employee or applicant for employment because of race, religion, gender, national origin, ethnicity, age, physical disabilities,
political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, or veteran status in hiring, promoting, training, benefits, recommendations, rate of pay or other forms of compensation. Opportunity is provided to all employees based on qualifications and job requirements.
Interested applicants should submit a Cover Letter and Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please include “Artistic and Music Operations Manager” in the subject line of your email.
Job Categories: Music. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: arts administration, arts management, manager, musical theatre, and opera. States: California.
Please Share the Artistic and Music Operations Manager job: