Part-Time Theater Teaching Artist Positions
Victory Gardens is seeking Teaching Artists to work with us in our award winning Drama in the Schools program in the Chicago Public Schools. Drama in the Schools is a year long residency that focuses on spoken word, performance and playwriting.
Teaching Artists will partner with CPS teachers to train students in these disciplines, empowering students to explore their creativity, sharpen their artistic skills, to use their voices and critically think while, addressing social issues and appreciating theater as a living, changing art for.
These positions are available to artists of various disciplines, including acting, directing and playwriting. DIS works primarily with students from 7th-12th grade.
Victory Gardens’ Drama in the Schools curriculum is divided into 3 quarters – fall, winter, and spring. Each unit consists of 10 classroom visits for at least 2 sections, days a week spread over 5 weeks. While the number of sections vary between partner schools, a Teaching Artist is guaranteed a minimum of 2 sections of a class per quarter. A Teaching Artist teaching 2 sections of a class will receive approximately $1,125 per 5 week quarter (20 total classroom hours), plus a stipend for teacher training and logistical meetings with the partner teacher.
Skills & Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s degree or higher preferred
• Minimum three years as a Teaching Artist in a school setting
• Strong classroom management skills
• Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal skills
• Additional background in Theater or Education a plus
• Ability to form and nurture strong, lasting relationships with teacher and students
• Ability to stay organized, manage multiple tasks, meet and set deadlines
• Ability to plan with teachers the best practices according to VGT and CPS goals to make the partnerships successful
• Bilingual in English and Spanish not necessary but helpful
• A car is a plus, but not required
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit a resume, cover letter with 2 references to:
Producing Director of Education
Apply for this Job