Freelance Job Teaching Artists – Arts Education
NOTE: This job listing has expired and may no longer be relevant!
NJPAC Faculty are professional artists and educators who teach theater, dance, poetry and music in various school environments and in the NJPAC Center for Arts Education.
Arts Education has been a central part of NJPAC’s mission since its inception. Even before the Center opened its doors, the Arts Education Department reached thousands of young people through its in-school and community-based programs. Ten years later, NJPAC boasts the fourth largest arts education department of its kind in the nation.
The Arts Education Department currently consists of four core areas: School and Family Performances, In-School Programs, Arts Training, and Professional Development for Educators, which provide numerous programs for children, families, and educators.
NJPAC In-School Residency Programs enable New Jersey students in Pre-K through 12th grades the opportunity to experience the performing arts through close interaction with professional teaching artists twice per week for 7-10 week residencies. These programs are offered to schools, community centers and childcare centers throughout New Jersey.
NJPAC Arts Training Programs are performing arts classes offered in the NJPAC Center for Arts Education throughout the year including: after school, Saturdays and summer sessions. The Center for Arts Education is a state-of-the-art facility that houses the multitude of programs undertaken by Arts Education. Located at 24 Rector Street (directly adjacent to NJPAC), the Center for Arts Education is a 30,000 square-feet building that houses a 100-seat black box theater, two dance studios, a recital hall, seven classrooms, nine music practice rooms, a piano lab, and office space for NJPAC’s Arts Education staff.
NJPAC is currently seeking professional teaching artists to add to the faculty roster within the following disciplines:
THEATER: Musical Theater (all areas of musical theater, including song writing and composition), Playwriting, and Devised Theater.
POETRY: Performance Poetry and Slam Poetry
HIP HOP: Graffiti, DJing, MCing, Beat Boxing
DANCE: Tap Dance, Hip Hop Dance
MUSIC: Piano Accompanists
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include:
• Ability to design and execute age appropriate performing arts lessons plans and curriculum for in-school, after school and summer instruction in artistic skill building and the creative process
• Development of a residency outline and lesson plans (15 to 20, depending on length of residency) that embody the goals of NJPAC’s program(s) and meet the needs of the school
• Completion and timely submission of lessons plans and other administrative paperwork to NJPAC staff, classroom teachers, and school administration
• Preparation for and execution of culminating presentation at assigned school(s) or on NJPAC Center for Arts Education, which includes the students as content creators as well as performers
• Regular communication with NJPAC and school staff regarding all aspects of the residency and program
• Participation in meetings and trainings required for NJPAC In-Schools Residency and Arts Training Programs
• Presentation of a professional demeanor that appropriately represents NJPAC
• Have the ability to work during school hours and travel to all types of schools across New Jersey
Qualifications and Special Requirements:
• Bachelor’s degree in the arts or arts-related field
• Professional experience in a performing art form and working as a teaching artist or educator
• Experience working with diverse populations and ages
• Experience teaching multiple learning styles
• Strong classroom management skills
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Reliable transportation to travel to assigned schools in New Jersey
• Willingness to learn the required curriculum and lesson plans for NJPAC and its partner organizations
• Willingness to remain abreast of the trends and research in the field
• Knowledge of state standards and national arts standards is preferred
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Strong interpersonal skills
How to Apply
No phone calls please. For this position, please email letter of interest and resumé to email@example.com
Be sure to note the job title in the subject line of your e-mail.
This position requires a background check & fingerprinting clearance before hiring. NJPAC Teaching Artists are classified on-call employees with the title of Faculty, and paid hourly. Work fluctuates based on the season, sales and Teaching Artist availability.
|• Job Title:||Teaching Artists – Arts Education|
|• Job Type:||Freelance Job|
|• Employer:||New Jersey Performing Arts Center|
|• Location:||Newark, New Jersey, United States|