Full-Time Job Curator of Collections and Exhibitions
The Museum of Fine Arts St Petersburg seeks a Curator of Collections and Exhibitions who is a dynamic, thoughtful art historian to partner with the Executive Director and curatorial team to bring the museum’s collection to life for a new generation of visitors.
The Curator of Collections and Exhibitions will enhance the regional and national reputation of the museum by creating exhibitions related to the museum’s collections, both traveling and in-house, temporary exhibitions. In addition to gaining deep knowledge of the museum’s history and collection, over the first 2-3 years a focus of the Curator’s work will be the development of a Collections Plan for the future of the Museum. Central to that process will be the review of collections management policies and accessioned objects to better understand gaps in the collection and areas of particular strength on which to build. Other major initiatives include the restoration and exhibition of ancient Roman mosaics, and the revitalization of the museum’s library, which has been closed to the public for almost a decade. Ongoing projects include the digitization of the collection, rehanging and refreshing collection galleries, and creating engagement opportunities for visitors to experience the collection galleries in a new way.
Staff reporting to this position includes the Registrar, Senior Preparator, Preparator, and two curatorial assistants.
The Curator should be an enthusiastic individual with an engaging personality, able to communicate sensitively and effectively to diverse audiences, fostering goodwill among the museum’s many members and guests. S/he should be comfortable working with board members, donors, media contacts, and the city’s social, business and civic leaders. S/he will represent the Executive Director and the Museum at public events as needed.
The right candidate will be a scholar with experience originating and presenting exhibitions across different areas of western art; a warm, confident public speaker and gracious ambassador for the museum; an enthusiastic fundraiser for acquisitions and conservation; and a natural leader and mentor to the curatorial team. Enthusiasm for the collection and a genuine desire to help shape the museum’s exciting future are essential.
The Curator of Collections and Exhibitions reports to the Executive Director and is a key member of the senior leadership team. Specific responsibilities include:
• Developing and overseeing the safekeeping of the museum’s diverse art collections.
• Creating significant exhibitions and publications that enhance understanding of and appreciation for art in our community.
• Cultivating donors, liaising with development groups in support of collecting areas, and working with docents
• Developing and monitoring project budgets, contributing to and monitoring grants.
• Working with the public programs department to create programs that engage multiple audiences.
• Setting and maintaining high professional standards for the museum in creating all of its exhibitions and in managing its collections.
• Overseeing and mentoring the curatorial team, providing an excellent example of professionalism, generosity, and team building
• Fostering collaboration and building relationships in the broader community.
The ideal candidate should have:
• Master’s degree in art history or a related field; Doctoral degree (Ph.D.) strongly preferred.
• 7-10 years of progressively responsible experience in a curatorial position in an art museum or in the field, with a demonstrated record of accomplishment, and/or considerable experience in developing and presenting exhibitions of works of art and managing collections.
• Specialization in an area of the museum’s collection; European and/or American Art preferred.
• Demonstrated senior level experience in an art museum.
• Demonstrated leadership and management skills with an emphasis on fiscal management and project management; budget oversight and team leadership.
• Exemplary written and verbal communication skills
• Excellent project management skills. Able to plan and organize multiple projects, prioritize duties, meet deadlines and work effectively both as part of a team and independently.
• Knowledge of professional museum standards, including collection management, art handling and preventative conservation practices.
• Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite. Familiarity with collections databases (TMS) a plus. Comfortable with technology, including use of social media, mobile devices and other relevant media.
• Ability to travel for research and study trips as needed.
The Museum of Fine Arts offers a competitive salary and benefit package in a state with no income tax and great weather year round.
HOW TO APPLY
The preferred start date is January 2018.
Please send a letter of interest and resume to:
to the attention of Kristen A. Shepherd, Executive Director
|• Job Title:||Curator of Collections and Exhibitions|
|• Job Type:||Full-Time Job|
|• Employer:||Museum of Fine Arts|
|• Location:||Saint Petersburg, Florida, United States|