Theater Tech Director
Solebury School seeks a FULL TIME Theater Technical Director for the 2021-2022 school year.
The Technical Director works with the Theater Director in the overall day-to-day procedures of running the school theater program.
A qualified candidate will need to be able to work both with the Theater Director, as well independently in dealing with a variety of aspects surrounding the theater program.
The Technical Director helps to create a positive working environment, is a positive role model/mentor for students, and represents the department positively to the campus community.
- Operates, maintains, and safeguards the technical assets of the theatre, including supervising the use of lighting, sound, communications equipment, and the use and maintenance of stage facilities across the performing arts department
- Advises student production managers, lighting and sound designers, on the technical specifications, costs, and usage of technical equipment required for the individual show, and supervises the implementations of approved technical designs
- Supervises and assists with set and stage construction and management
- Assists in recruiting, training, and assignment of student technical staff for individual shows and oversees the student tech crew during all activity periods, dress rehearsals, and performances
- Orients facility renters and visiting productions to safety, technical characteristics, and other areas of facility operations; facilitates the use of the technical facilities by the resident company and others engaged by or renting the facility
- Monitors the condition of equipment including lighting, sound, and rigging equipment; arranges for the repair and replacement within budgetary constraints; performs preventive maintenance on equipment
- Assists with the preparation and control of production budgets; maintains inventory and orders specialized supplies
- Oversees all technical rehearsals, in order to supervise and assist in the technical aspects of mounting the show
- Oversees and manages all load-ins, strikes, rehearsals, and performances, as necessary
- Teach one-two classes a trimester (totaling 5 classes per academic year) in coordination with the Theater Director and Dean of Studies
- Makes recommendations to the Board of Directors or theatre leadership regarding capital purchases of technical equipment.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with representatives of various groups, vendors, co-workers, and others
- Maintain irregular and extended working hours, including some evenings and weekends
- Bachelor’s degree in Technical Theater or extensive professional experience required
- Experience with theatrical carpentry, electrics, and sound
- Experience in Vectorworks, AutoCAD, or Sketchup
- Knowledge of standard shop tools and their safety procedures
- Possession of a valid driver’s license
- Submission to full battery of background testing per PA state law
- A working knowledge of techniques, methods, and procedures of theatre, dance, and music productions including stage, set, sound and lighting design and implementation; stage management; computerized lighting systems; stage carpentry; appropriate safety precautions and procedures
- Ability to analyze and evaluate the need for technical support for various events and performances
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
- Ability to lift, push or pull objects up to 100 pounds using appropriate tools
Full Time salaried position – $40,000 – $50,000 CWE (plus benefits)
Please submit resume, cover letter, and references to Peter Martino, Theater Director, via email at email@example.com.
Resumes will be accepted until the position is filled.
Interviews will begin immediately.
Since its founding in 1925, Solebury School has been a leader in progressive education. We are a co-educational boarding and day school serving more than 225 students in grades 9-12.
Solebury is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Categories: Education. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: arts education, director, technical director, and theatre. States: Pennsylvania.
Please Share the Theater Tech Director job: