The Contemporary Jewish Museum (The CJM) seeks a Preparator to join the Exhibitions team, working under the direct supervision of the Chief Preparator (temporary reporting to the Registrar and Exhibitions Manager), and in close collaboration with The Exhibitions and Curatorial teams.
The Preparator assists in the execution of all functions related to the planning, production, installation, and maintenance of exhibitions at The CJM.
The Preparator assumes responsibility for the daily operation and maintenance of exhibitions and carries out regular art handling duties, while acting as the lead in training and delegating work to a team of “on-call” Exhibition Technicians.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Assist in wide variety of tasks related to exhibition preparation and collaborate on projects including but not limited to art installation, mount making, casework fabrication and finishing, A/V installation, packing and unpacking, and the maintenance of tools and work areas
- Assist with planning and sequencing for walls, cases, pedestals, armatures, etc.
- Assist with technical research related to the production of artwork or other exhibition materials, especially adaptive site planning
- Prioritize maintaining a safe environment by using appropriate museum–standard materials, equipment, and methods to display, store, and pack works of art
- Work with the Curatorial and Exhibitions team on various custom preparations related to the development of traveling exhibitions
- Assume responsibility for operation and maintenance of exhibitions and installations, acting as point person for exhibitions-related issues during evening and/or weekend shift as scheduled
- Perform routine maintenance of exhibitions in all galleries and installation spaces including trouble shooting A/V equipment, cleaning, light replacement, paint-touch-up, etc.
- Assist with proper training of crew members and appropriate delegation of work
- Assist with maintenance and upkeep of workspace, tool inventory, supplies and materials, gallery furniture and A/V equipment
- Occasional project-based work assisting Registrar and Exhibitions Manager
- Collaborate with other department members to cultivate and sustain an equitable, respectful, inclusive workplace culture
- B.A./B.F.A. in Art, Art History, Museum Studies, or related field.
- 3–5 years’ experience in a museum or contemporary art setting
- Experience installing or maintaining A/V displays and contemporary art installations OR some combination of fabrication/construction experience
- Interest in and dedication to the mission and core values of The CJM, including its commitment to anti-racism, diversity, equity, access, and inclusion
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Familiarity with a wide variety of equipment used in multi-media exhibits
- Ability to analyze A/V manuals, specifications and diagrams
- Demonstrated expertise with materials and tools used in a museum setting
- Demonstrated expertise with art handling, art storage, and installation for a variety of media, using accepted museum standards and practice; knowledge and skill in the use and care of hand and power tools
- Excellent organizational skills
- Capable of responding to public emergency situations
- Ability to understand and respond to requests in a loud environment
- Ability to identify problems and resolve them quickly
- Ability to follow instructions, to work independently, as well as part of a team
- Ability to be on feet for at least 6 hours each day
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 35 lbs. and climb ladders
- Physical activity including twisting, sitting, bending, lifting, climbing stairs
- Excellent manual dexterity
The CJM’s public spaces have reopened and this position will require on-site work, following safety guidelines and protocols.
Send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please indicate “Preparator” in the subject line
The Contemporary Jewish Museum is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin or ancestry, age, marital or domestic partner status, sex, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a protected veteran, status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, The CJM will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Job Categories: Museum and Gallery. Job Types: Part-Time. Job Tags: exhibition and museum. States: California.
Please Share the Preparator job: