• Location: Long Island City, NY
• Job ID: 11403
• Job type: Full-Time
• Department: CLMGT Collection Management
The special collections of the New York Public Library pass through the Library Services Center (LSC) in Long Island City as they are acquired, processed, prepared for exhibition and outgoing loan, undergo conservation treatment, and are digitized. NYPL is creating a new Collection Manager position to manage and track collections as they arrive, progress through these activities at LSC, and are transported to their permanent storage locations. The successful candidate will consolidate and refine current processes to improve tracking and readiness of materials for the Special Collections Processing unit, develop benchmarks for the performance of and implement effective storeroom management, and coordinate the development of standard collection documentation practices. Reporting to the Senior Manager, Collection Management, this position will work with NYPL partners across curatorial, preservation, digital, facilities, security, and logistics divisions, as well as donors and vendors. Candidates who are collaborative, inclusive, and can think creatively will find this opportunity one in which they can further develop an array of skills in archival science, collection management, logistics, preventive conservation, and registration.
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Collection Management, the Collection Manager will:
- Manage all collections entering LSC, including receiving, storeroom management, location management, and coordinating transport of collections to permanent storage locations
- Accession new special collection acquisitions
- Oversee special collection acquisition logistics, collaborating with curators and coordinating with internal and external partners to efficiently transport and intake new acquisitions
- Effectively manage collection documentation completion, quality control, physical organization, storage, and dissemination at the time of acquisition
- Coordinate site visits to physically evaluate and document potential acquisitions
- Coordinate shipment of special collections to LSC from Research Centers, RECAP, and other external storage locations
- Liaise with Facilities, Security, and Capital Planning staff around preventive conservation and building management issues for LSC storerooms
- Serve on the REACT collection emergency team
Required Education & Experience
- Masters degree in Library or Archival Science, Museum Studies, Arts Administration or equivalent experience, with a concentration or experience in collection registration and management required
- Broad humanities knowledge as demonstrated through academic degrees or an equivalent combination of training and experience
- Three or more years experience in registration, acquisitions management, and/or managing collections required
- Familiarity with professional standards in cultural heritage collection management and registration and a strong sense of legal and ethical issues surrounding the acquisition of different types of collections required
- Demonstrated knowledge of a wide range of special collection formats and their related preservation issues, including appropriate packing, shipping, and storage
- Knowledge of packing methods and materials and associated vendors required. Must be able to assess and articulate risks associated with different methods
- Demonstrated record of designing and managing projects and bringing them to a conclusion in a timely fashion.
- Experience working collaboratively and independently with varied groups within a complex organization and rapidly changing team environment.
- Experience working with fine arts shippers required, including a working knowledge about customs requirements, long-distance shipping, and insurance
- Demonstrated familiarity with collection storeroom management and preventive conservation required
- Attention to detail and excellent customer service required
- Excellent verbal and written communications
- Experience with procedures and systems for accessioning manuscript and archival materials preferred
- Experience processing and cataloging literary manuscripts and archival collections preferred
All team members are expected and encouraged to embody the NYPL Core Values:
- Be Helpful to patrons and colleagues
- Be Resourceful in solving problems
- Be Curious in all aspects of your work
- Must travel to four research library sites and to donor homes and warehouses in the NYC metropolitan area. These areas may include basements, attics, outbuildings, and spaces that may be dusty, dirty, or difficult to access. Some additional travel outside the NYC area may be required.
- Position involves reasonable exposure to dust
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds (record cartons filled with paper and other material) repeatedly from floor to shelf/cart and climb ladders simultaneously as well as stand for long periods of time required.
Hours: 35 hours/week
How to Apply
Job ID: 11403
Job Categories: Library. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: exhibition, library, manager, and NYPL. States: New York.
Please Share the Collection Manager job: