Career Services Associate
• Job type: Part Time
• Department: Bronx Library Center, NY
• Schedule: 19 hours per week
Career Services supports various aspects of job search and career development of our patrons.
We serve all job seekers and specialize in helping re-entry, career changers, veterans, and 55+ adults.
This position will report to the Bronx Library Center located at 310 East Kingsbridge Rd.
Under the supervision of the Career Services management team, the Career Services Associate:
- Serves as a welcoming and informative first-point-of-contact for patrons visiting Career Services to ensure members remain engaged and that they are connected with services to meet their needs.
- Projects a positive and courteous attitude to the public by providing exceptional customer service
- Assists patrons with basic computer and internet usage as they seek to submit applications for employment or education, including downloading and uploading documents.
- Support patrons with editing of documents, page formatting and review spelling and grammar
Ability to troubleshoot basic technical issues as they arise such as printing and copying documents for the patrons and for the Career Services department.
- Conducts research to identify education or occupational training programs for career advancement.
- Helps set up computers, audio/visual equipment, and other materials for classes and programs as needed
- Works closely with the Career Services BLC coaching team and monitors the patrons’ access to the Career Services office on the 5th floor.
- Assists with creating appointments for career coaching and other programs.
- Refers patrons to other departments, programs and resources provided by NYPL.
- Experience with Canva and/or Adobe Photoshop.
- Supports coordinator and BLC staff with call reminders as needed.
- Provides weekly reports to Career Services BLC coaching team
- Participates in outreach and recruitment, including digital engagement and community events.
- Evenings and weekends as needed
Required Education & Experience
- 2 years of college or high school diploma and equivalent experience
- Intermediate computer and technology skills using Windows 10, Microsoft Office Suite, Google Applications, LinkedIn and advanced internet skills,
- Superb interpersonal and customer service skills with the ability to work with a diverse patronage
- Strong organizational skills and ability to follow detailed instructions in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent documentation skills, ability to navigate multiple data entry systems, and strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team and independently
- Ability to travel between library locations
- Demonstrated reliability and professionalism
- Ability to troubleshoot basic computer and printer issues
- Ability to speak foreign languages – Spanish language especially desired.
Effective August 2, 2021, absent a qualifying exception for medical or religious reasons, newly hired employees of the New York Public Library must present proof of receipt of a COVID-19 vaccination and may not begin employment at the Library until 14 days after their receipt of their second dose of either the Pfizer or Moderna vaccines or 14 days after their first dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. Newly hired employees who need additional time to receive their vaccination prior to their start date may request an adjournment of their start date with their hiring manager. The Library will consider such requests on a case by case basis, depending upon the Library’s operational needs, among other factors. The Library will further consider exemptions for prospective employees who cannot become vaccinated due to a qualifying medical condition or a sincerely held religious belief or practice. Candidates who receive a conditional offer of employment and who seek a medical or religious exemption to the Library’s vaccination policy should contact firstname.lastname@example.org for instructions on how to submit the required information for the evaluation of their exemption request.
- All team members are expected and encouraged to embody the NYPL Core Values:
- Be Helpful to patrons and colleagues
- Be Resourceful in solving problems
- Be Curious in all aspects of your work
- Physical Duties
- Light lifting required
- Pushing book trucks
- Sitting and standing for periods of time
- Daily use of a computer
Schedule: 19 hours per week
Compensation: $20.00 / hour
How to Apply
Job Categories: Library. Job Types: Part-Time. Job Tags: human resources, library, manager, NYPL, and recruitment. States: New York.
Please Share the Career Services Associate job: