Middle School Technical Director→ Los Angeles, California, United States
Harvard-Westlake School is seeking candidates for the position of Middle School Technical Director.
This is a full-time, temporary position covering a family leave from March 1 through June 10, 2024.
- Teaching the level 1 and 2 Stagecraft classes, with a curriculum that includes safe working practices and the necessary skills to support productions for the performing arts department.
- Managing and implementing all technical aspects of departmental productions in both the 840-seat Saperstein Theater and the 100-120-seat Katzenberg Blackbox Theater.
- Providing support as needed for school-wide events, such as assemblies and grade-level meetings, guest speakers, parent events, and administrative events.
- Working closely with the maintenance team, assistant technical director, and IT department to manage a full schedule of events and equipment needs.
- Managing student crews during productions.
- During this contract, departmental productions will include:
- Straight play in the Blackbox Theater
- Jazz Concert in the Blackbox Theater
- Instrumental Music Concert in Saperstein Theater
- Choral Concert in Saperstein Theater
- Rhythm Section Concert in the Blackbox Theater
- Dance Concert in Saperstein Theater
- Dance Concert in the Dance Studio
- Acting Showcase in the Blackbox Theater
The ideal candidate will have:
- Strong teaching skills with a background in technical theater.
- Knowledge of safe working practices and safety procedures for working in a theater.
- Experience in lighting design and implementation, including knowledge of the ETC Eos family systems, networking skills, and electrical systems for the stage.
- Experience in sound reinforcement for live performance, including knowledge of digital audio mixing desks.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- The ability to work evenings and weekends as needed.
- A history of working well with a production team.
We are an independent school consisting of two campuses located in Los Angeles, California. We have approximately 1,600 curious, thoughtful, and inspiring students enrolled in grades seven through twelve.
We are committed to creating a community of belonging and actively strive to be a diverse and inclusive community. We do not discriminate on any basis. We seek candidates who demonstrate sensitivity, knowledge, and understanding of the diverse backgrounds of community members; have the ability to work flexibly, independently, and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment with individuals from a diverse set of backgrounds; and have the capacity to serve as a model of openness, generosity, and acceptance.
Typically Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. with afternoon rehearsals including weekend and evening productions/events as needed.
Anticipated base compensation for this position term (March -June 2024) is $25,000- $32,000 based on experience. This position will be eligible for medical benefits during the coverage period.
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Contract. Job Tags: director, education, school, teaching, technical director, and theatre. States: California.