Full-Time Marketing Director
The Appalachian Center of the Arts
Job Type: Full-time
Required education: Bachelor’s Degree. Preferably in business, marketing, or related field.
Required experience: Marketing/Public Relations: 2 years
No phone calls please.
About The Appalachian Center for the Arts (aka The App)
We are a 501(c)(3) organization producing 5-6 mainstage theatrical productions a year as well as a
music series, literary series, comprehensive youth education program, and various other community events.
We are a division of The Appalachian Wireless Arena
Current house staff size is four (4) full-time employees augmented as requested by staff from The Appalachian Wireless Arena. All house staff is under the management of Robin Irwin, Executive Director, who reports to a 6-member Board of Trustees.
The mission of The Appalachian Center for the Arts is committed to being a home for thrilling audience experiences, and authentic artistic expression throughout the region. As caretakers of a public trust, The App is dedicated to art that preserves and nurtures the unique character of Appalachia while embracing programs that showcase the strength and value of diversity. The Appalachian Center for the Arts seeks to be part of the local, regional, and national conversations via all forms of art – theater, music, dance, cinema, visual, and digital arts.
The Appalachian Center for the Arts is seeking highly organized candidates for the role of Marketing Director. This key position directs all marketing and public relations aspects of the organization and oversees related staff.
The successful candidate will have a varied background in sales, a sense of humor, customer service, writing, and media relations including, but not limited to:
- Writing and proofreading
- Customer relations and etiquette, stewardship, and cultivation
- Organizational skills
- Outstanding Graphic design skills
- Traditional, online, and social media proficiency
The Marketing Director manages a budget and works with the Marketing
Director of The Appalachian Wireless Arena to further the revenue goals of the organization, including through planning and executing special
events and fundraisers. The Marketing coordinates content across platforms to ensure cohesive messaging in mailings, playbills, social media, email, etc.
The position works closely with the Executive Director, Marketing Director from The Appalachian Wireless Arena, and Director of Education and Outreach to
promote visibility, awareness and excitement surrounding The Appalachian Center for the Arts and its program.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for all media-related communications, contacts, press mailing lists, press releases, media advisories, e-mail reminders, feature article placement and ad placement.
- Seek new ways to build mailing lists and e-mail lists.
- Maintain The App’s website.
- Coordinate media events, press tours, photo shoots, videotaping and creation of press kits for all programming at The App.
- Photography and videography of productions and events.
- Produce programs, flyers, brochures, posters and other notices in a timely fashion for all programming at The App.
- Responsible for production of bi-annual newsletter and all marketing/public relations materials.
- Establish relationships and oversee projects with printing houses, graphic designers, photographers and videographers. In cases where an out-of-house photographer or videographer is contracted, provide oversight and direction during the contracted event (i.e. produce a shot list for a photo call in collaboration with the stage manager/director/etc.)
- Work in collaboration with the Marketing Director at The Appalachian Wireless Arena in seeking new funding sources/audiences, creating promotional literature for funding campaigns, planning, publicizing, and executing special events, targeting markets for shows, contributing to the grant writing process where publicity/marketing information is required and represent the Theatre at public/community functions.
- Work to increase The App’s presence in the community through displays, banners, posters, brochures, etc.
- Oversee The App’s information on 2nd Street, including raising funds for a marquee.
- Develop and implement volunteers in a system of distributing posters, flyers, etc.
- With the Marketing Director at The Appalachian Wireless Arena, sell advertising in programs, on tickets, brochures, etc.
- Ensure proper acknowledgment of sponsors and grantors in all printed and media materials.
- Ensure the theatre’s compliance with rules and royalty agreements.
- Maintain publicity archives and photo archives.
- Understand essential box office functions and cover box office as needed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The
requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable
accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Public Relations or a related field and 2-3 years of related experience.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of the following:
- Microsoft Office Suite – must be proficient
- Adobe Creative Suite – must be proficient in Adobe Illustrator and Indesign
- Wix or similar website platform
- Photography/Videography skills, including editing
- TicketMaster box office software a plus
- Ability to learn new computer programs quickly
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and
procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence as well as for press purposes, grants,
and engaging social media content. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the
organization. Knowledge of AP style rules. Proofreading skills including AP style press releases, social media
posts, and other documents as needed.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, commissions, interest, proportions and percentages.
Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry. Maintain annual marketing budget.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited
standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule
Reliable transportation, a valid driver’s license, and valid insurance are required.
Other Preferred Skills and Abilities
- Experience in the arts, specifically theatre, a plus
- Management experience a plus
- Nights and weekend availability, including sudden schedule changes
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to
successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of his job, the employee is
regularly required to use hands to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is
frequently required to stand, sit, or move freely through the building and in outdoor areas. The employee
must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close
vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while
performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals
with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- The pace of the work environment and flow of projects is usually high to moderate.
- The flow of traffic through the building and office corridor is usually moderate.
Equal Opportunity Employer
The Appalachian Center for the Arts is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of actual or
perceived race, creed, color, religion, nation origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, disability or handicap, sex, marital
status, sexual orientation, veteran status, arrest record, or any other characteristics prohibited by law. We are
dedicated to this policy with respect to recruitment, hiring, promotion, training, compensation, benefits, and
general treatment during employment.
Health Insurance, Comp time and holidays, complimentary tickets to each mainstage show, discounted tickets to The Appalachian Wireless Arena events
Please submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com.Job Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: arts center, director, marketing, sales, and theatre. States: Kentucky.
Please Share the Marketing Director job: