Marketing & Communications Manager
Berkshire Opera Festival (BOF) – a summer opera festival founded in 2014 by Brian Garman and Jonathon Loy, and based in Great Barrington, MA – is currently accepting applications for the full-time, year-round position of Marketing & Communications Manager. BOF is seeking creative, collaborative, entrepreneurial individuals to join our rapidly growing company.
Berkshire Opera Festival’s summer season runs July – August, performing in venues throughout Berkshire County. BOF season programming includes one mainstage opera production, one second-stage opera, a free concert for the community, and a variety of donor and outreach events. BOF has just concluded our highly anticipated sixth season, which received overwhelmingly positive responses from critics and audiences alike.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Marketing & Communications Manager will be responsible for creating and implementing robust marketing, communications, and outreach strategies for BOF’s annual summer festival, as well as developing and maintaining relationships with local businesses and community groups throughout the year. The position will be the primary point of contact for an external Publicist/PR firm, while also cultivating and maintaining relationships with local media outlets. The Manager will be responsible for driving earned revenue through ticket sales, program advertising, and special projects.
This is a year-round, full-time, salaried position with a preferred start date of no later than February 1, 2022. The position requires year-round residency in the Berkshires, or within a comfortable commuting distance to BOF’s offices in Great Barrington, MA. Except during the Festival Season, BOF offers the option for a hybrid in-person/remote work schedule at the discretion of the Executive Director.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Create and implement marketing and communications plans for both the Festival Season and offseason that will both ensure achievement of earned revenue/ticketing sales goals and engage BOF’s base of donors and followers throughout the year
- Manage the creation of the Festival program book, including coordinating logistics with the printer and graphic designer, collecting content, overseeing ad trades with other arts/non-profit groups, and selling program ads to area businesses
- Facilitate press ticketing with Festival venue box office(s) and respond to patron ticketing inquires
- Serve as the primary point of contact for BOF’s external PR firm and assist with engaging media, scheduling guest artist interviews, and updating community and industry calendar listings
- Identify and cultivate relationships with local groups with whom BOF can collaborate on both group sales and outreach initiatives in support of BOF’s goals of reaching underserved communities and generally extending our reach in the Berkshires community
- Collaborate with Executive Director on sponsorship and partnership initiatives with local businesses
- Organize and maintain BOF’s media archives in Google Drive
- Update and maintain the BOF website in Wix (current website to be redesigned in Fall 2021)
- Create and distribute e-newsletters using BOF’s MailChimp account
- Manage and administer BOF’s social media accounts (Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter)
Qualifications & Experience Requirements
- Undergraduate degree or comparable educational/professional experience in Marketing, Communications, Arts Management, or related field of study
- A minimum of 5 years or equivalent of related professional experience
- Some familiarity with opera and/or classical music
- Experience developing marketing and communications strategies and materials
- Experience designing and implementing robust, yet budget-conscious, advertising campaigns
- Excellent written and verbal skills, including proofreading and editing
- Stellar interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Strong knowledge of Google apps (GSuite for Nonprofits), Microsoft Office, and social media platforms (Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter)
- Website management experience with programs such as Wix or WordPress
- Experience with email marketing programs, ideally MailChimp
- Moderate graphic design skills, highly desirable
- Familiarity working with donor databases and/or CRM systems
- Some practical experience with the performing arts – either personal or professional – required
This is an exempt, salaried position with a starting annual salary in the low-to-mid $40K range, commensurate with experience and specialized skills. Full-time BOF employees are eligible to receive a monthly health insurance reimbursement, paid holidays, 5 days of sick leave, and 10 vacation days per year.
Please submit via email a current resume/CV, cover letter, and contact information for 3 professional references to email@example.com. Cover letters may be addressed to Abigail Rollins, Executive Director.
BOF is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Interviews will commence once an appropriately large and diverse pool of candidates has been identified. Candidates selected for second-round interviews will be required to submit 3 work samples. No phone calls, please.
About Berkshire Opera Festival
The mission of Berkshire Opera Festival (BOF) is to entertain and enrich the lives of people of all ages and backgrounds throughout the Berkshire region by providing accessible and affordable performances of a broad range of operas with the highest artistic standards. Each summer, BOF presents musically and dramatically compelling operatic productions, in addition to recitals and other related musical events. Adhering to the highest standards of artistic excellence, BOF is committed to restoring fully-staged opera to a place of prominence in the Berkshire community. www.berkshireoperafestival.org
Job Categories: Music. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: arts management, marketing, music, and opera. States: Massachusetts.
Please Share the Marketing & Communications Manager job: