Full-Time Library Technical Assistant IV
• Job Type: Full-Time Job.
• Location: New York, NY.
• Department: ACCSVC Access Services.
• Starting Salary: $43,700.00/Yr.
• Job ID: 11408
Access Services is part of the Humanities and Social Sciences Research Divisions and is responsible for storing, locating, tracking, and delivering materials to the reading and study rooms in the Stephen A. Schwarzman Building.
The Access Services team partners with the Research Collections and Preservation Consortium (ReCAP) to deliver materials stored in the Princeton storage facility to the research libraries.
The Milstein 2 Research Stacks (MII) heralds a new way of managing research library inventory, necessitating a variety of specialized tasks for which the Access services team is also responsible, including the ingest, storage, and movement of MII research items to their requested locations.
This position is integral to successful public service in the Stephen A Schwarzman as well as the other research centers. Library Technical Assistants process users’ requests for materials housed in the Milstein Research Stacks. This includes, successfully locating materials, updating their status, and delivery to the proper service desk for use.
Reporting to the Operations Manager, the Library Technical Assistant IV:
- Provides oversight, supervision, and coordinates activities for one or more of the following services daily:
- Filling reader requests and providing inventory control
- Performing public service desk duties
- Offsite materials delivery and requests
- Materials processing
- Supervises, schedules, and trains staff responsible for collection maintenance and circulation activities including:
- Creating and updating item records
- Bindery preparation
- Sorting new books
- ReCAP transfers, and
- Preservation stability
- Inventory software Filling reader requests and providing inventory control for research materials including:
- Performing public service desk duties at the following service points:
- Responsible for successfully checking in and out and making deliveries of Offsite Materials to its desired service location
- Identifies problematic items and resolves the problem
- Manages projects in a timely manner while maintaining records and statistics
- Works closely with the Manager, Access Services and Collection Maintenance, to resolve issues affecting staff and productivity
- Performs other related duties as required
Required Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Minimum of 5+ years relevant work experience, including significant experience in an urban library setting.
- Effective leadership skills
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Supervisory experience required
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Demonstrated ability to establish priorities and effectively manage workflow
- Must possess good communication and interpersonal skills and the ability to maintain and foster cooperative and courteous working relationships.
- Must demonstrate strong attention to detail, speed and accuracy in carrying out duties.
- Ability to sort efficiently in alphabetic, numeric or alphanumeric order.
- Strong computer skills, including working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs, the Internet and e-mail programs.
- Demonstrated ability to work with a team and on independent projects.
- Demonstrated flexibility and reliability.
- Customer service experience required.
All team members are expected and encouraged to embody the NYPL Core Values:
- Be Helpful to patrons and colleagues
- Be Resourceful in solving problems
- Be Curious in all aspects of your work
- Limited physical effort is required
- Light lifting required
Union: Local 1930
How to Apply
Job ID: 11408
Job Categories: Library. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: assistant, communication, library, and NYPL. States: New York.
Please Share the Library Technical Assistant IV job: