Gallery Educator + Manager
The Current, a non-profit center for contemporary art located in Stowe, VT, is hiring for a new full-time Gallery Educator + Manager. We are one of the region’s primary contemporary art exhibition and education resources, offering a range of dynamic programming that asserts the value of art by engaging visitors, members, students, volunteers, creators, and patrons. We seek an organized team player who values customer service and has a passion for the organization to join our collaborative work environment.
Summary of Position
This position is responsible for gallery management and execution of gallery education, engagement, and outreach to support the ambitious exhibitions at The Current. The role requires the ability to work with extreme accuracy and efficiency, a high degree of dependability and professionalism, expertise in customer service, strong knowledge of curriculum design, office and design fundamentals, ability to maintain good spirit and humor under pressure, and trustworthiness.
We are committed to creating a supportive work environment defined by a culture of responsibility, integrity, and inclusion, and strongly encourage members of the BIPOC community, LGBTQ+, and people with disabilities to apply.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Gallery management
- Manage and maintain the physical gallery space, including Art Lounge and Design Store
- Serve as a welcoming presence and face of the organization as gallery greeter
- Provide exhibition support and conduct scholarly research
- Provide marketing and promotional support for the exhibitions + public programming
- Curate the annual Members’ Art Show
- Expansion of adult and family exhibition education
- Foster and maintain outreach to and partnership with local inns, organizations, schools, and universities
- Offer regular guided family art activities and tours in the galleries
- Offer evening activities, like open mic night, and work with local schools to encourage teens to be involved
- Create self-guided, hands-on activities that relate to each exhibition
- Lead Immersive Art Experiences
- Create 1-2 adult workshops or classes per season in the classrooms or Art Lounge (ie: a wheel throwing class or an adult painting workshop)
- Create one public program per month that relates to the exhibitions
- Create 2 adult multi-day destination workshops per year
- Other duties as requested
The above duties and responsibilities describe the general nature and level of work performed in this job. They should not be construed as an exhaustive listing of all job duties and responsibilities by employees so classified.
This position reports to the Executive Director + Director of Exhibitions and works closely with Deputy Director, Registrar, and Youth Education. This full-time position requires 40 hours Tuesdays through Saturdays; evening hours are required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- BA or BFA in Art History, Art Education, or Museum Studies required.
- Minimum of 3 years experience in gallery and/or museum education.
- Knowledge of contemporary visual arts, experience or interest in civic engagement and public community-based projects
- Experience and genuine passion for working with all ages of students from toddlers to elders.
- Experience growing a high-caliber public programming initiative.
- Experience with curriculum development for workshops in a museum or gallery setting.
- Knowledge of contemporary educational methods and philosophies.
- Experience and genuine passion for working with all ages and all backgrounds in an arts environment.
- Self-initiated and motivated interest, curiosity, and the desire to learn about the exhibitions and artists.
- Enthusiasm and excitement for engagement with the public to offer exhibition insight and make everyone feel welcome.
- Interest and experience in DEAI work is essential.
- Strong organizational and time-management skills, with the ability to set priorities and limits in order to accomplish tasks, meet deadlines, and adapt to changing priorities.
- Knowledge of fundamental office practices, procedures and equipment. Past experience with Macs and Google cloud suite preferred.
- The ability to work independently, multi-task, maintain good spirit and humor under deadlines, and participate as an effective team member.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills working with colleagues as well as artists, galleries, museums, scholars, patrons, and the general public.
- Experienced professional who brings a depth of knowledge, curiosity, and talent to a multifaceted program within a gallery.
- High degree of personal and professional integrity and the ability to treat sensitive information with the highest degree of confidentiality. Ability to exercise good judgment, courtesy, and tact in dealing with the general public, Board, staff and affiliates of the Art Center.
We value teamwork and collaboration; active listening; open, respectful, and clear communication.
Each of us is responsible for our own words, actions, and results.
We act with uncompromising commitment, honesty, integrity, respect, and trust in all we do. We are inspiring and inspired by the quality and excellence of our work and the honesty of our relationships.
We celebrate participation, partnership, and collaboration. We value inclusion and engagement with the community.
We recognize and respect that we all have different experiences, backgrounds, perspectives, and opinions and we can learn from each other; we value diversity and equity.
Equal Opportunity Employment
The Current is an equal opportunity employer and encourages candidates of all ethnic, racial, and religious backgrounds to apply. The Current employees are selected on the basis of ability without regard to age; (dis)ability; ethnicity; faith or religious belief; family, marital or parental status; gender identity; language; national origin; political perspective; race; sex; or sexual orientation.
See thecurrentnow.org/opportunities for application instructions.
Job Categories: Museum and Gallery. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: art gallery, education, exhibition, management, and non-profit. States: Vermont.