Full-Time Executive Director – Museum of Art
The San Luis Obispo Museum of Art is currently accepting applications for a new Executive Director.
The Executive Director of the San Luis Obispo Museum of Art (“SLOMA”) is responsible for the day to day operation of the Museum including its administration and management, personnel, financial operations, fundraising, marketing, public relations and its partnership relations with the City of San Luis Obispo.
Reporting relationship: reports to the President of the Board of Directors of SLOMA.
Administration and Management
• oversee the operation and business of SLOMA
• serve as staff member to the President of the Board of Directors
• develop and maintain efficient staffing
• maintain a spirit of teamwork with staff, artist groups and the Board of Directors
• assist all Standing Committees in completion of their responsibilities
• supervise policies and procedures and implement changes as needed
• work collaboratively with staff to best utilize strengths of the individuals
• keep the Board informed of the business of SLOMA
• assist in the orientation of new Board members
• work collaboratively with staff and Board to develop and execute a strategic plan.
• in consultation with the Finance and Investment Committee develop the annual budget
• maintain budget controls; ensure a balanced budget for operations
• in consultation with the Finance and Investment Committee, oversee prudent handling of all financial accounts.
Fundraising and Development
• partner with the Board and Development Committee in the development of shortand long-range plans and goals
• develop, implement, and manage campaigns to ensure the continuing growth of the endowment and annual fundraising, maintenance and improvement of the Museum building and equipment
• lead the Board in creating a climate that encourages donors who, in turn, encourage others to give
• facilitate the consideration of SLOMA in legacy planning with the local community
• maintain awareness of SLOMA and corporate donor prospects and cultivate them
• supervise the maintenance of gift records, timely acknowledgement of gifts and production of gifting reports by the Administrative Assistant.
Marketing and Public Relations
• represent SLOMA in a positive light to the community at large both in writing and speaking to community groups
• have a presence at Museum functions
• supervise a news release system to obtain media coverage; ensure that SLOMA has an appropriate presence on social/new and traditional media
• supervise preparation of marketing materials including an annual Museum print piece
• assist in expansion of Museum programs through advocacy and financial support
• cultivate awareness of the Museum among patrons who are not yet donors.
Partnership and Community Relations
• maintain good working relationships with the Museum’s partners including the City of San Luis Obispo
• attend meetings of other arts groups as appropriate
• maintain a list of prioritized future capital improvement needs for purposes of possible fundraising efforts.
And all other duties as assigned by the President of the Board.
• to hire and supervise personnel as provided within the approved Museum budget
• to make expenditures in accordance with the approved budget
• discretion to approve non-budgeted expense up to a pre-approved amount per purchase without the approval of the Board of Directors.
This is an exempt position.
Employment is subject to the policies of SLOMA Personnel Handbook and the Bylaws of the San Luis Obispo Museum of Art.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
- Minimum 5 years related employment experience in nonprofit arts fundraising and development
- Superb written and verbal communications skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Good technology skills including familiarity with social and new media
- Ability to lift and/or move 40 pounds
- Valid California driver license, proof of insurance and reliable transportation
- Desirable: Knowledge of the San Luis Obispo community; knowledge of fundraising software; CFRE
Salary and Benefits
• Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Special condition of employment:
Some evening and weekend work.
Detailed Job Description in PDF document
How to Apply
For inquiries, please contact Interim Executive Director
Maryellen Simkins: [Contact Form]
Job Categories: Museum and Gallery. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: administration, director, executive director, finance, fund-raising, human resources, management, and museum. States: California.
Please Share the Executive Director – Museum of Art job: