- Working Title: Director
- Pay Rate: Salary is competitive and commensurate with education and experience.
- Employment Category: Administrative/Professional
- Regular/Temporary: Regular
- Type of Appointment: Fiscal
- Contract Period: 12 month
Position Summary Information
The Director serves as the primary spokesperson and administrator for Austin Peay State University’s Center of Excellence for the Creative Arts and provides leadership to support CECA’s artistic mission. The Director’s responsibilities include management, development, and planning in matters of administration, outreach, marketing, public relations, finance, facilities, and fund development. The Director, who reports directly to the Dean of the College of Arts and Letters, shall sustain CECA’s collaborative work environment and act as an advocate for the arts in the community.
This position offers the opportunity for an entrepreneurial leader to have a true impact on the region’s cultural landscape.
Austin Peay State University is a four-year public, doctoral-level university, with six colleges and four Chairs of Excellence. The University has an enrollment of over 10,000 students and is located in Clarksville, Tennessee, a community of an estimated 150,287 people located approximately 40 miles northwest of Nashville, TN.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide leadership that enhances the collaboration of the four areas within CECA (creative writing, music, theatre & dance, and art & design) while supporting the efforts of the distinctive disciplines.
- Raise CECA’s public profile and widen its impact across the university, community, and region.
- Collaborate with constituencies on campus and with community partners (such as the Center’s patron society) to build a strong presence for CECA’s activities and accomplishments.
- Facilitate clear, regular communication among the four areas, the administrative office, and the larger community.
- Strengthen current funding relationships and develop new, diverse sources of funds, such as corporate or community sponsorships (in collaboration with the APSU Office of Advancement), cultivating partnerships that support Center activities.
- Oversee CECA administrative operations, including annual reports, budgets, purchases, contracts, part-time hires, and travel.
- Oversee and administer partnerships with Clarksville Montgomery County School System (including, but not limited to, Kennedy Center partnership).
- Supervise and support the Community School for the Arts program, coordinator, and other related support staff.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Bold and creative thinker to lead a talented staff of arts professionals.
- Must be a persuasive writer and speaker.
- Demonstrate good governance, financial oversight, and best non-profit management practice.
- Committed to transparent and collaborative processes.
- Skilled in traditional and emerging media.
- Demonstrated passion for the mission of arts, arts education, and outreach to all communities.
- Light Work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects.
Required Minimum Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree and 5 years’ experience in a leadership role in a performing arts organization or program, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Proven collaborative leadership skills.
- Prior experience with supervising professional staff.
- Superior communication skills, analytical and problem-solving abilities.
- A demonstrated understanding of marketing and publicity.
- Successful track record of fundraising and/or grant writing and a proven knowledge of budget planning.
- A background check will be required for the successful applicant.
- An official transcript and names, addresses and phone numbers of three (3) references will be required for the successful applicant.
Open Until Filled
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcript
- Letter of Recommendation 1
- Letter of Recommendation 2
- Letter of Recommendation 3
- Other Document
- Please provide a one-page leadership statement addressing your approach to arts administration and diversity (within the context of this position).
Apply at: apsu.peopleadmin.com/postings/14516
Job Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: arts administration, Community Engagement, director, education, engagement, and university. States: Tennessee.
Please Share the Director job: