Director Of Patron Services→ Everett, Washington, United States
• TITLE: Director of Patron Service
• STATUS: Full time; Hourly
• PAY RANGE: $32 per hour
• SUPERVISOR: Managing Director
• LOCATION: Everett, WA
• APPLICATION DEADLINE: Sunday, October 1, 2023
ABOUT VILLAGE THEATRE
Based in Issaquah, WA, with operations in Everett, WA, Village Theatre is a leading producer of musical theatre in the Pacific Northwest. Producing entertaining, quality productions since 1979, Village Theatre has grown into one of the region’s best-attended theatres, with pre-Covid numbers reflecting just over 18,000 Mainstage season subscribers and 220,000 total patrons each season. Through its Village Originals program, Village Theatre is nationally recognized for its contribution to the development of new musicals, having supported the creation of over 175 new works to date. Village Theatre also takes pride in nurturing tomorrow’s audiences through its Youth Education program KIDSTAGE, serving over 30,000 young people and their families annually.
DIVERSITY, EQUITY, INCLUSION, AND ACCESSIBILITY
Theatre lies at the intersection of storytelling and community. The stories we tell represent and influence our shared human experience. We believe that to tell these stories authentically, it is essential to employ equitable practices that are inclusive of and led by a diverse and culturally rich community. Village Theatre has a responsibility to mindfully support and design the impact these stories have on the audiences we serve, the artists we engage, the students we nurture, and the staff we entrust. Centering Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility in our work allows us to create a storytelling space that welcomes, celebrates, and honors all people.
More information about our journey to be an anti-racist organization and our DEIA Committee can be found here: villagetheatre.org/deia/
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Director of Patron Services is a key leader in the organization and reports to the Managing Director. This critical role provides strong leadership, effective team management, and outstanding customer service to ensure that our Patron Services department is both a supportive and positive place to work, and that our relationships with our patrons are fostered through kind and timely service.
A note – our current ticketing system is Theatre Manager, and we will be implementing a new system within this next fiscal year. This position will have input into our new way forward.
- Supervisory Operations of the Patron Services Department
- Facilitate the Subscription Renewal campaign, in conjunction with the Marketing Department, to ensure that communication is clear, materials are created, and tickets are received by patrons in a timely fashion.
- Keeps the Village Theatre staff informed of any changes to ticket pricing, specials and policies.
- Oversees inventory controls as needed for special ticket allocations.
- Establish processes and update sales reports, analytics, and data mining as needed.
- Provides leadership, guidance, and insights, on the Ticketing Platform utilized by the Theatre.
- Stays up to date on any changes in the software platforms.
- Ensures that Patron Services staff, including the Director, can:
- Transact all types of ticket orders – subscriptions, singles, etc.
- Register all education programs – liaise with the Village Theatre Education team as needed.
- Manage the patron services database to ensure that desired marketing and mailing information is kept current.
- Make deposits and balance daily receipts at the close of each shift, including effective follow-up and documentation for deposit discrepancies. The Director to work with the Finance team as needed.
- Communicate sales and customer information to House Managers for preparation of each performance.
- Foster and Manage Productive Relationships with other Senior Leaders
- Support strategic alignment of the organization’s activities within the Patron Service department’s identified goals and strategies.
- Work closely with and foster positive and collegial relationships with other departments, in particular Front of House/Operations, Marketing, and Development.
- As loyalty programs and/or donor benefits are coordinated, work with the appropriate Director to ensure that Patron Services can assist.
- Work with Marketing to manage and facilitate special codes and other methods to support ticket sales campaigns.
- Work with Marketing to pull patron lists as needed.
- Works with the Director of Finance to develop policies and procedures that will ensure strong internal controls in the box office and help to develop policies and procedures that will maintain our PCI compliance.
- Provides insights into ticketing behaviors for the Managing Director as ticket pricing models are discussed.
- Provide and model superior customer service, conveying a kind, courteous, and professional demeanor.
- Handles customer service issues, including complaints and refund requests, with an eye to supporting the customer with kindness and fairness.
- Documents patron challenges and flags patterns for the Managing Director.
- Lead, Manage, and Mentor the Patron Services Team
- Provides oversight and leadership for both the Issaquah and Everett Box Offices, while actively managing the Everett Box Office. The Assistant Director of Patron Services is located in Issaquah and manages that site team.
- Oversees hiring, training, and supervision of the Patron Services Team.
- Support, coach, and inspire team members; foster an environment that is both collaborative and directed, playing to individual staff strengths, and providing learning opportunities as team members develop their skill sets.
- Other duties as assigned.
YOUR SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Extensive experience with increasing responsibility in a high-volume Box Office or Customer facing cash transaction setting.
- Ability to work flexible hours based on organizational needs and/or special events – which may then include evenings, weekends and holidays as required. Changes in schedules will be communicated in advance when possible. An example of “not possible” may be an immediate need to change a performance due to a weather interruption.
- A proven and demonstrable track record in data base management, with priority given to those who have utilized ticketing or CRM platforms. The theatre currently utilizes Theatre Manager and will transition to another ticketing platform.
- Strong abilities to guide and manage teams with kindness and clarity; experience mentoring and motivating teams in a collaborative and yet directed setting.
- In-depth knowledge of patron-based data mining and report generation or has proven abilities to learn these skills.
- Demonstrable experience providing excellent customer service, that leads with kindness, clarity, and timeliness.
- Active commitment to advancing anti-racism, diversity, equity, inclusion, and accessibility through a dedicated practice of learning and personal accountability.
- Possess excellent communication skill – written, oral, and interpersonal.
- Demonstrated exceptional organization skills; a detail-oriented, self-motivated leader; meticulous with accuracy.
- Abilities to form and maintain constructive professional relationships with colleagues, artists, and external stakeholders; genuinely committed to authentic interpersonal engagement.
- A passion to work in the world of theatre.
The salary for this position is set at $32/hour. We believe in transparent hiring practices and as such, we have provided the top rate we can meet.
Additionally, Village Theatre offers a comprehensive benefits package including Medical, Prescription, Dental & Vision Insurance; 403 (b) Retirement Plan with employer match; paid Vacation, Holidays, and Sick time; Flexible Spending Account; Life and AD&D insurance. Additional information, such as waiting periods and premium rates, will be made available to final candidates.
Village Theatre is committed to equitable hiring practices that center the matching of skills, interests and learned experience over education requirements and previous employment. All applications will be redacted to provide anonymity for the candidate, then reviewed by a diverse hiring committee consisting of at least three individuals. The committee will create a rubric for assessment using the criteria from the job description. The committee will make recommendations on who should move on to the interview process based on the assessment.
Candidates who are asked to interview can expect a conversational, non-confrontational environment focused on questions that speak to experiences. We wish to remove any barriers to interviewing for our candidates and as such, interviews can be in person or over zoom, and at a time of day that works for the candidate. We will ask about and will meet accessibility needs. Following an interview process, every candidate interviewed will receive a phone call to share the outcome.
To apply, please e-mail your resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Director of Patron Services” and your last name in the subject line.
PDF Format is preferred.
No phone calls or direct emails, please.
Job Categories: Theatre. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: communication, director, human resources, management, performing arts, and recruitment. States: Washington.