Director of Fundraising & Development
OVERVIEW OF ORGANIZATION
Founded in 2015 in Washington, DC, the American Pops Orchestra (APO) is a fully-professional, union orchestral ensemble which specializes in ensuring accessibility of music to all as well as the preservation of the canon of classical and American popular music. With a staff of 5, APO is a nimble and musically diverse organization that has a wide-range of programmatic offerings throughout each season. APO is featured on a number of nationally broadcast television shows each year in a variety of themes, regions as well as musical and cultural styles – To-date, APO has had more than 30-million views between television broadcasts and streaming. APO also features a rich offering of outreach programs including free live and virtual children’s programming in some of the most economically challenged regions in the country. In addition, APO offers a free national college vocal competition, with winners receiving cash prizes as well as professional performance opportunities with the orchestra throughout the year.
OVERVIEW OF POSITION
APO seeks a dynamic fundraiser with 5+ years of professional fundraising experience, to identify new sources of funding – corporate, foundations and individuals – to support the growth of programming in both the areas of television as well as community outreach. Strong candidates will possess the ability to leverage relationships with corporations and foundations to offer on-air crediting for television shows as well as major underwriting opportunities for national children’s touring.
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES WILL…
- Thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Be a self-starter
- Be detail-orientated
- Be a creative thinker, with a get-to-yes attitude
- Exhibit out-of-the-box fundraising ideas, not reliant specifically on galas
Devise and implement a fundraising strategy in connection with APO’s annual budget – $1.6M.
- Manage, maintain and renew existing donors of APO to ensure proper stewardship of current donors through communication, events and engagement.
- In consultation with the General Manager, mutually agree upon annual and quarterly goals.
- Seek renewals and increases in annual gifts, as well as identify those that may have lapsed, in an effort to increase the overall annual contributed income.
- Devise strategic fundraising initiatives to engage new donors to become connected with APO.
- Curate a database of prospective corporations & foundations which would be appropriate to engage as a corporate sponsor and initiate contact and cultivate the relationship in order to secure.
- Curate a list of prospective individual donors who would be appropriate to engage as a sponsor and initiate contact and cultivate in order to secure.
- Successfully integrate social media into fundraising efforts, working collaboratively with APO social media team.
- Devise strategic opportunities of in-kind or donated product that would be a benefit to APO’s financial success, such as flight and hotel partners, equipment, supplies and other appropriate partnerships.
- In concert with the Development Assistant, manage and maintain the existing fundraising software with appropriate data to properly steward each current and prospective donor.
- On a quarterly basis, meet with members of the APO board to establish additional prospects through those board members, both individual and corporate, towards the efforts of APO’s annual contributed income.
- Based on specific programmatic offerings, identify donors (corporate, individual, etc.) whose focus and mission aligns with those offerings, i.e. community engagement, dance programming, musical theater, etc.
- Maintain and expand, where necessary, current donor benefits based on giving levels, ensuring benefits are being offered / provided as necessary.
- Work with General Manager to forecast pledged development income to facilitate cash flow based on donor agreements, etc.
- In concert with the Development Assistant, draft and send out acknowledgment letters to donors as each gift is received.
- Meet with General Manager, Founder & Music Director to identify other development / fundraising opportunities to continuously address new and possible funding sources on a regular basis;
Please email cover letter, resume and three references to:
firstname.lastname@example.org no later than November 10, 2022.
The American Pops is committed to a diverse workplace, on and off stage. Diverse candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Job Categories: Arts and Culture. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: development, director, fund-raising, music, and philanthropy. States: DC.
Please Share the Director of Fundraising & Development job: