Full-Time Director of Development and Operations
SHOALS SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA
DIRECTOR of DEVELOPMENT and OPERATIONS
Full-Time Exempt – Shoals Symphony Orchestra (until filled – 6/30/21).
The Shoals Symphony Orchestra at UNA is the fourth largest symphony orchestra in Alabama (out of six professional orchestras recognized by the Alabama Council for the Arts), with a combined $500,000+ annual budget (through partnerships, sponsorships, grants, ticket sales, donations, and in-kind services), and has a $750k dollar economic impact on the Shoals region. It is a partnership organization under the auspices of the University of North Alabama and supported by the Shoals Symphony Orchestra (501c3).
The Shoals Symphony Orchestra at UNA is funded by the generosity of individual and corporate sponsors, contributions by alumni and friends, grants, ticket sales, and the University of North Alabama. The orchestra encompasses the perfect balance of UNA faculty, rising students (majors and non-majors), and area professional musicians. Dedicated, enthusiastic musicians are selected by open audition.
Every college student in the Shoals Symphony Orchestra at UNA receives a performance award to help pay tuition. The Shoals Symphony Orchestra Board of Directors is dedicated to encouraging area students through the development of the UNA Honor Orchestra (9-12 grades) and the UNA String Project (all ages). The orchestra is in its 37th season, currently under the direction of Dr. Daniel Stevens.
In the past five years, the Shoals Symphony Orchestra at UNA has achieved monumental growth, having quadrupled annual revenue since 2014. As audience markets have expanded with diverse concert offerings, as well as integrating corporate and individual underwriting, the Shoals Symphony Board of Directors is needing a full-time staff member to manage a number of tasks for day-to-day operations. This goal-structured position, working closely with Dr. Daniel Stevens, will require expertise in:
Shoals Symphony at UNA Director of Development and Operations – Full-Time Annual Contract
Supervisor: Dr. Daniel Stevens, Music Director and Conductor, Shoals Symphony at UNA
- Develop and manage organizational goals to fund programmatic needs, personnel needs, and build the organization endowment to meet comprehensive operational needs
- Oversee all grant applications as writer and collaborator, tracking all grant proposals (Convention and Tourism, University Programming Council, Alabama State Council of the Arts, follow-up reports)
- Coordinate all season advertisement sales in programs
- Lead marketing efforts for all orchestral performances, increasing ticket sales
- Drive and administer donor relations including Underwriting Proposals and Packets, tracking donor pledges and payments, and donor recognition
- Serve as representative of the organization, by implementing a team-approach to generate revenue through corporate and individual donations
- Maintain current, and Develop new community partnerships and in-kind donations
Administration and Finance
- Maintain the organizational database that includes patron lists, donor lists, and volunteer supporters.
- Build and maintain an organizational profile (prospectus)
- Assist in the master calendar on behalf of the organization, including concert and rehearsal dates, board meetings, marketing deadlines, and fundraising target dates.
- Utilize organization financial software (currently QuickBooks)
- Reconcile bank statements against QuickBooks and update board financial statements and reports
- Prepare the monthly board package, including meeting agenda, minutes prepared by secretary, financial report in consultation with treasurer, and supplementary board material
- Prepare monthly operations reports to the Board of Directors
- Request and track vendor payments
- Prepare annual letters to acknowledge donations
- Prepare annual MISC-1099 and quarterly tax forms
- Write, review, and manage all underwriting letters of commitment
- Maintain and update a musician/staff policy manual
- Manage and lead an annual board new-member orientation and board retreat
- Attend weekly meetings with music director, student president, and all SSO staff
- Serve as clearinghouse for artist/faculty/administrator/board communications
- Assist in the completion of music contracts (Disney/sheet music rental/musical guest contracts)
- Staff the SSO Main Office in the absence of the Administrative Assistant (coordinated effort)
- Coordinate, recruit, and train a volunteer base of 50+ people (ushers, parking attendants, etc.)
- Create a volunteer incentive system (society)
- Develop volunteer position job descriptions
- Train and manage all volunteers
- Attend all concerts; serve as a public liaison of the orchestra by engaging patrons
- Create PowerPoint/videos for concerts and civic presentations
- Be available for a long task list of pre- and post-concert logistics (signs, banners, etc.)
- Develop and implement an Emergency Response Plan
- Serve as front-of-house manager to problem-solve guest relations
- Appear and present regularly at civic/service gatherings
- Communicate with city offices, Chamber of Commerce, and tourism offices
- Serve as representative to the League of American Orchestras
- Create press releases, manage social media initiative – Facebook/Instagram for regional coverage
- Assist with website creation, as editor and text writer, to Coordinate interviews with media – Online/Newspaper/Radio
- Knowledge of Vendini ticket system, including venue maps, concert sales set-up, and revenue reports
- Coordinate organization receptions and Symphony events
- Assist in the creation of the annual brochure as well as Sign/Banner/Poster content
- Oversee early steps toward merchandising/promotional items
- Protect organizational profile through branding/logos
- Coordinate and store promotional pictures and videos
- Propel grassroots ticket marketing, through community newsletters and volunteer coordination
- Other duties as assigned, in support of the Music Director and Shoals Symphony Board of Directors
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Benefits include paid holidays, sick leave, and annual vacation.
Employment at Will: Employment with The Shoals Symphony Orchestra is at-will and either party can terminate the employment relationship at any time, with or without cause and with or without notice.
- Possess a Bachelor’s Degree with a passion/understanding toward professional orchestral operations
- Due to the nature of this position, the ideal candidate would not be able to perform with the orchestra
The ideal candidate will:
- Possess a Bachelor’s Degree or above in an arts-related field OR business administration
- Have served as an employee, teaching fellow, or intern with an orchestral organization
- Possess a team-centered, entrepreneurial spirit
- Maintain a positive attitude, with masterful customer service skills
- Take initiative as a resourceful self-starter
- Ability to multi-task, work in a fast-paced environment, and flow/adapt with changing priorities
- Familiarity with computerized accounting and ticketing systems, preferably Quickbooks and Vendini
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Exemplify transparent leadership through clear communication
This position will report directly to the Music Director/Conductor, and ultimately will be accountable to the priorities of the Shoals Symphony Board of Directors.
To apply, please email the following materials as .pdf files to firstname.lastname@example.org:
(please be sure that every .pdf file submitted contains your last name/date – i.e. SMITH Resume 2.1.17)
- Cover Letter – addressing your qualifications/experience for the job description above
- Current Resume / C.V.
- Three Letters of Recommendation
- Additional Reference List – with permission to contact (mixture of professional relationships)
- Required Salary Range
- For additional questions about the position, applicants may contact Dr. Daniel Stevens to inquire: email@example.com, 620-262-6871
Deadline: Until filled; for best consideration, please apply by March 27, 2020.
Job Categories: Music. Job Types: Full-Time. Job Tags: administration, advertising, arts education, development, director, music, and sales. States: Alabama.
Please Share the Director of Development and Operations job: